• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 864 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted November 06, 2015 - 08:04 AM

I was hearing a noises I though was a bearing going out on the 5hp. Tec. engine. Decided that since they were not in business any longer to just replace the engine. It was a straight replacement only having to buy some longer mounting bolts since the Hemi Predator engine base plate is thicker. 

I get it going one pull start and decide to shred leaves.

It just isn't working even though I was able to finish chipping some branch's I had left when I shut the Tec engine down.

Remove the grate and clean all those leaves out I had stuffed in there. Look up at the flails and see noting so pull the plug wire off the engine and grab the flails and can turn them a full turn.

Go in and get my technical manual, It shows two bolts but doesn't say if they are shear type, just soft bolts  or grade 8.

Does any one know the answer to that?

Thanks.

Nov%2002%202015_3335_zpsvb41kpn6.jpg

Nov%2002%202015_3336_zpsj0sftbqj.jpg

I really like these Predator engines. I have a non Hemi version on my log splitter and 2 Hemi versions, one on a snow blower and now one on the chipper shredder.

:D   Al

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted November 06, 2015 - 08:19 AM

Whats the model number?

If we can get a parts list it should say what the bolts are

#3 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted November 06, 2015 - 09:29 AM

If the bolt sheared would you have something flying out of the chipper? 

#4 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted November 06, 2015 - 09:40 AM

Just an assumption here, but since the engine is protected by any belt slippage, I don't think they would be shear bolts.

A single shear bolt may make sense, but double shear bolts kind of defeats the purpose.

I would use regular grade 2 (soft) bolts.

Grade 8 bolts are stronger in tension, but are actually more "brittle" (less malleable) , and may damage the shaft when they shear.

Edited by Bruce Dorsi, November 06, 2015 - 09:40 AM.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,511 posts

Posted November 06, 2015 - 12:44 PM

I have the same model of chipper shredder but think it bay be a bit older.  I bought it used in 2000, has a 9hp Briggs on it.  If you look at the outside end of the main drum shaft there should be a white spot on the edge of the bearing holder.  This tells you when that drum is turning or not.  When running empty it should look like a white ring.  I don't think you have shear bolts.  First off the leaves would have to be bone dry to go through.  Also check what size screen you have in it.  When I got mine it had the screen with the 1/2" holes.  Way to small for doing much that isn't completely dry and fairly fine.  I bought the 1" screen and that is all I have ever used, except when shredding mulch for my garden railroad.  You will get some longer twigs with this size screen but about everything you put in will go through.

Another thing to check is the hammers.  Make sure they are square on the leading edge.  If not, they cannot grind well and will bog the engine down.  Turn the hammers over and go again.  You can turn to use all 4 sides.  When all 4 sides are wore down, remove and replace of have them ground down at a machine shop.  Good luck with a great machine.

#6 alleyyooper OFFLINE  

alleyyooper
  • Member No: 58852
  • 864 Thanks
  • 353 posts

Posted November 07, 2015 - 05:48 AM

Model Number is 4978. No shear bolts would not come out the top as there is a rubber flap thingies there to proven stuff coming out the top.

Mine also bought used in 2002 came with the ladder grate and a 3/4 inch screen grate. 

I have seen 1 1/2 screens but I won't pay that kind of money for one.

Also the technical manual showed two blots but there is only one hole for a bolt in my shaft.

I'll go with a grade 2 I think.

:D   Al