• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ROCKINATOR OFFLINE  

ROCKINATOR
  • Member No: 77200
  • 8 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 08:54 PM

I am making this post for some first timers as this can kill some people's projects if they don't have the money for a kit (varies from carb make, mine would've been 100$) there are some basic ways to avoid big prices for the time being after cleaning the carb and your motor won't run right. This won't apply to every carb out there, but the most common that I've seen are walbros (hope I spelled it right) and nikki carbs. Now the best thing to do is to get it idling any way possible (choke on, revved a little etc.) and then tune the set screw until you've found a sweet spot. Now after that there is a plastic air/fuel mix screw (on Nikki carbs) that I missed when I did my carb the first time, and it kept dying on me until I fiddled with it some and got it just right. It surged some and doesn't want to idle right, but is cheaper and better short term method to get it to run and drive. But I'd recommend that a kit is bought. But that's entirely up to you. Pic of Nikki carb image.jpeg the metal set screw is being sort of covered by the plastic air fuel mix screw. Hope this helps some first timers with carb tuning and troubleshooting and maybe some experienced ones.

• boyscout862 and karl have said thanks

#2 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,661 Thanks
  • 6,475 posts

Posted November 06, 2015 - 07:47 PM

The cover is just a Tamper-resistant item that is put on for EPA reasons and to keep it in spec, which now days is LEAN running! I have removed those and re-set on some, even tho manuals say to leave as made.  On Walbro like on most Kohlers, one can tear them down if careful and just reassemble with just that simple "fits-all" kit they have for most. Mostly just a bowl gasket or two and maybe a main jet and some tiny rings in some cases. Those are cheap usually.  I've found simplest cleaner is Laquer thinner, cuts most of the gunk, buy anywhere, and dries up fast. Need to remove all plastic and rubber items before using the cleaner. Blow out all the holes after poking with wires or such to open up before cleaning and after.

• WNYTractorTinkerer said thank you

#3 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,316 Thanks
  • 4,663 posts

Posted November 06, 2015 - 08:41 PM

Attached File  carburetion_troubleshooting_detail_reference_guide.PDF   1.01MB   58 downloads