18 replies to this topic

#1 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,806 Thanks
  • 2,208 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 05:51 PM

My son Matthew was given the green light last week to skip ahead to the next grade. :dancingbanana:  :dancingbanana: The school emailed us today with the final details. He was tested over the last month and scored in the 99%tile for his age, and completed the curriculum for at least 3rd grade in all the subjects. We couldn't be more proud of his ability. He is going from 2nd grade to 3rd on Monday. i don't usually like to brag or boast but this is a very significant accomplishment. The best part was the phycologist telling us when he tested Matt , how Matt corrected him several times, and was right. Must have been hard to tell us that a seven yr old had to correct the college graduate during his test.  :smilewink:  :smilewink:

He obviously gets his smarts from his mother, just his great looks from his dad. :rolling:  :rolling:

All kidding aside, he is definitely gifted and has made me incredibly proud . His ability to play piano is another story that I will share after his first concert next month, ( only 5 months of lessons ) he's amazing, and that's not just my opinion, that's from several credible sources in music.

• NUTNDUN, olcowhand, Gtractor and 20 others have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,736 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 05:57 PM

Congrats to Matthew! Sounds like you have a 'gifted' young man there!

• boyscout862 and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,806 Thanks
  • 7,547 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 06:11 PM

Congrats to the proud dad. I hope that he enjoys the move up. Good Luck, Rick

• TomLGT195 said thank you

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 06:28 PM

Congrats!  And you have every right to be proud as punch.

#5 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,774 Thanks
  • 7,705 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 06:38 PM

Congrats. I did just the opposite in school

#6 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 06:39 PM

That is great news!  Our girls were like that (never skipped a grade but one started early).  I know the road you are on and it will be a challenge.  Childromn with smarts like that can be or become very head strong so be prepared to stand your ground.  I have one who is about to become a sophmore in college and she's still 17.  They are areal joy, especially when you need computer or smart phone help!

• oldedeeres, TomLGT195 and propane1 have said thanks

#7 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,116 Thanks
  • 3,206 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 06:39 PM

Congratulations. Nice to hear. Wish I was that smart. Enjoy, Noel.

#8 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,631 Thanks
  • 3,922 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 06:45 PM

Thats awesome news!  Congrats!   :thumbs:

#9 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,806 Thanks
  • 2,208 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 06:52 PM

That is great news!  Our girls were like that (never skipped a grade but one started early).  I know the road you are on and it will be a challenge.  Childromn with smarts like that can be or become very head strong so be prepared to stand your ground.  I have one who is about to become a sophmore in college and she's still 17.  They are areal joy, especially when you need computer or smart phone help!

That's almost already happening, in about another year he should be showing me how to use electronic devices. The most amazing thing about Matt is you only show him things once! That's it , explain the reasoning/ logic behind the choice and he gets it. He usually replies with an answer that adds two thoughts about a subject together and creates a new result combining all he's learned . We never even thought of that option when we asked the question.
  • David Brown and oldedeeres have said thanks

#10 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 07:41 PM

That's almost already happening, in about another year he should be showing me how to use electronic devices. The most amazing thing about Matt is you only show him things once! That's it , explain the reasoning/ logic behind the choice and he gets it. He usually replies with an answer that adds two thoughts about a subject together and creates a new result combining all he's learned . We never even thought of that option when we asked the question.

That's awesome.  Not sure how Matt is but we found that once you show our girls how to do something, that's the way it's to be done so you better be right when you show them.  At least it was like that when they were younger.  I've talked to other friends that have extremely smart children and they tend to agree with our findings in that situation.

• oldedeeres and TomLGT195 have said thanks

#11 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 07:53 PM

There is one thing that I must caution you about.  It's not a life altering thing or anything like tht but it can be to a teenager.  Matt will be in a grade where all of his friends will learn to drive and have their license long before he will reach the age to start learning.  I know that made my daughter feel kind of bad.  Now, being in college, she's still on a junior license.  These are the things that we never gave a second thought to and were unprepared to offer much in the way of comfort.  I tell you this now so you have plenty of time to figure out how to handle it.  It may be different for a boy but it might also hit him harder.  Good luck.

#12 637Yeoman OFFLINE  

637Yeoman

The Simplicity collector

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 77049
  • 465 Thanks
  • 467 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 07:55 PM

My son Matthew was given the green light last week to skip ahead to the next grade. :dancingbanana:  :dancingbanana: The school emailed us today with the final details. He was tested over the last month and scored in the 99%tile for his age, and completed the curriculum for at least 3rd grade in all the subjects. We couldn't be more proud of his ability. He is going from 2nd grade to 3rd on Monday. i don't usually like to brag or boast but this is a very significant accomplishment. The best part was the phycologist telling us when he tested Matt , how Matt corrected him several times, and was right. Must have been hard to tell us that a seven yr old had to correct the college graduate during his test.  :smilewink:  :smilewink:

He obviously gets his smarts from his mother, just his great looks from his dad. :rolling:  :rolling:

All kidding aside, he is definitely gifted and has made me incredibly proud . His ability to play piano is another story that I will share after his first concert next month, ( only 5 months of lessons ) he's amazing, and that's not just my opinion, that's from several credible sources in music.

Congradulations! am glad to hear it! :rocker2:  :dancingbanana:  :thumbs:

#13 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 08:29 PM

Congratulations!  It always feels good when our young ones make us proud.  Sounds like you have quite an achiever on your hands. :thumbs:

#14 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,912 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 08:34 PM

I'm very happy for you and your wife, and your son, its great when a gift is given and applied.

#15 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 10:54 PM

You have every right to be proud.  It's nice they are doing that.

Be prepared.  I was an October baby.  I could be entered into school or held for the next year they told my parents.  I was entered as soon as I could.  I was the youngest in my class for all things.  I came out rather unscathed, but a bit immature.  Life caught me up as we went along, just be aware he may be younger than his classmates.  When he gets his High School diploma after sixth grade, don't worry about the age thing.

Be proud and supportive.  Congratulations.