#1 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 05:21 PM

Hi everyone!

I am working on the Sears ss16 (non-running at this point) - onan engine....This was a "project" I picked up as a non-runner - it "ran great" about 10 years ago, BEFORE it sat in a field in the weather.... Anyway, it sat in a field for a while and some of the wiring became rat food. So am rewiring everything and fixing the electrical stuff. The plug on the voltage regulator was melted and looking at the circuit board on the regulator it has a blackish spot on it - so im not sure if it's gonna be good. 

Leading to my question. Onan regulators for the ss16 seem to be scarce and $$, while ones for a kohler magnum or k series are common and cheap - I may even have a couple laying around somewhere...

As long as the stator amperage is similar, is there any difference? Are they interchangeable? The plugs seem to be the same, and the wiring is identical as far as it hooks up to the wiring harness.

I would think they would be interchangeable (volts are volts after all).... What say ye?

#2 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,123 Thanks
  • 3,208 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 05:38 PM

I am not a expert on this, but volts are the same , but the amperage may be different. 10 amp stator would need a 10 amp regulator , in my mind. But, I'm sure I could be wrong. Figure out the amperage first, I would think. Noel.

Edited by propane1, November 05, 2015 - 05:40 PM.

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,525 Thanks
  • 39,746 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 05:48 PM

Is this the 'new style regulator? 3 Wire plug? I have a Kohler regulator on an Onan P220.

• boyscout862 and WNYTractorTinkerer have said thanks

#4 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 07:34 PM

Yep, 3 wire plug. 2 wires coming from the stator and the third wire is the 12+ out to the wiring harness/battery.

It's an L shaped plug, as opposed to the "all three in a line flat" plug, but since my plug is melted anyway, I can change to the flat style if need be....

IIR, most of the regulators are either 10 amp, 15 amp, or 30 amp, so , yeah, I need to find out what the onan's stator pumps out and match it to the regulator. 

#5 Paulgo OFFLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 08:33 PM

My Onans take a 15 amp rectifier/regulator with the L shaped plug.  A 20 amp will work just fine.

Edited by Paulgo, November 05, 2015 - 08:36 PM.

#6 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 08:56 PM

All Onans I've ever had were a 15 amp system, and I use Kohler 15A regulators.  

• KennyP said thank you

#7 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted November 06, 2015 - 04:04 AM

If it has the 2 wire AC alternator going to the three connector regulator, you should be fine with 15amp or larger rectifier/ regulator. Just don't use a smaller one or it will overheat and burn up.
  • Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#8 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted November 06, 2015 - 08:50 AM

I use this one on my 16/6 Tecumseh, it's a 20Amp from an JD onan or that's what descriptions say from evilbay.  

As long as you have 3 prongs AC/B+/AC it will work .

Regulator Sears.jpg

Edited by TAHOE, November 06, 2015 - 08:51 AM.

#9 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted November 09, 2015 - 08:56 AM

Thanks everyone! That's kind of what I figured, but wanted to ask.

I've noticed that the newer regulators are smaller and don't have as much (if any) of a heat sink on them - more efficient?!?! or just the old heat sink was overkill?

On the sears, I can mount a new-style regulator in the same spot as the old, bigger one. Thought about mounting it on an aluminum standoff (as opposed to the steel frame brace the original was mounted directly to) to improve heat conductivity and bleed off - with a 1 inch standoff, would still be smaller than the old heat sink brick of the original!

Tahoe, that looks familiar! A while back the regulator plug on my Deere 110 came apart (old age, vibration, ???) and was not allowing good contact, plus one of my connectors was getting pretty worn out - got tired of charging the battery because of poor electrical connections draining it, so just replaced the plug/connectors with 3 new individual crimp-ons. The 12+ wire is a different color from the ac wires, so not trouble keeping them straight.... Necessity is the mother of invention.....

#10 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted November 10, 2015 - 08:11 AM

I would make a stand off if you can. mine is mounted pretty close to the panel and I have a piece of wide foam weather stripping behind it to protect wires from panel. I replace it every 8-12 months cause it overheats and burn up. I plan to make a new standoff and mount a small 12V fan over top of it before winter, my winch on the snow blade gets it pretty hot.

#11 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,630 posts

Posted November 10, 2015 - 11:37 AM

Aren't some of the regulators mounted on a cut-out on the fan shroud  ? The back side of the regulator getting the moving air .

• limebuzz said thank you

#12 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted November 10, 2015 - 12:34 PM

Aren't some of the regulators mounted on a cut-out on the fan shroud  ? The back side of the regulator getting the moving air .

Yes, and they definitely need that cooling air to help prevent failure.  The style Marty (Tahoe) showed in pic above is the type made for a hole in the flywheel shroud.  I hope it holds up well where it is.

• Alc said thank you

#13 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted November 10, 2015 - 02:48 PM

My factory replacement Tecumseh OH160 has he regulator in the flywheel shroud right above the starter bump out. I wished this motor had it....I do have a die grinder :thumbs:

• olcowhand said thank you

#14 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,657 Thanks
  • 29,842 posts

Posted November 10, 2015 - 03:04 PM

My factory replacement Tecumseh OH160 has he regulator in the flywheel shroud right above the starter bump out. I wished this motor had it....I do have a die grinder :thumbs:

I also had to cut a hole in one of my Onan shrouds to cool this type regulator.

#15 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted November 10, 2015 - 03:09 PM

I also had to cut a hole in one of my Onan shrouds to cool this type regulator.

I have to figure out something, I have been through 2 this year. 3 if you count the one that last 1 hr due to a shorted battery that back fed. :wallbanging:

The winch really gets it hot and the cheapo 55W offroad light use it up too. got some LED's I'm gonna try.

• Alc said thank you