Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Cyclone Rake review (Pics)

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 01:09 PM

I guess I could have put this in the implement forum but it came up here so here it stays.

Some folks wanted to see what kind of job this Cyclone Rake does.  Well, I'm going out this evening to do leaves for probably the last time so I thought I would document and let you all see.  As a disclaimer, I think all of these lawn vacuums only work as well as the deck that is feeding them.  If your deck doesn't do a great job, neither will the vacuum.  On to the pics.

The rig.  2003 Wheelhorse 315-8, fully weighted.  The rake is the Commercial Pro model.  It's middle of the road but I wanted capacity and this one has the largest capacity but not the largest engine or tube.  Has an 6 1/2hp Briggs with an 8" dia. tube to suck everything up.  What I wasn't expecting was the machine to man handle the tractor so much.  I put the weights on to combat some of that and it does help but you still have to plan your turns ahead when the thing gets near full.  My neighbot has a Deere 425 and a smaller Rake and he has the same issues.  All in all though, this thing really sucks.

IMG_0539.JPG

The proving grounds.  My leaves are usually much thicker than what you see here.  When you get over to the trees it becomes my neighbors yard.  This should be good enough to show what this machine can do.  Those pics should show up here tomorrow.

IMG_0540.JPG

IMG_0541.JPG

Edited by David Brown, November 05, 2015 - 06:31 PM.

• Bud, OldBuzzard, Alc and 6 others have said thanks

#2 framesteer ONLINE  

framesteer
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11301
  • 331 Thanks
  • 164 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 03:49 PM

I live in an unincorporated subdivision that allows leaf burning.  The neighbor's cyclone vac pulverizes the leaves to the point they don't burn well at all.  He's stopped using it and has gone back to burning the leaves as they come out of his mower bagger system.

• Alc, David Brown, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 05:06 PM

You can see grass in between the leaves. It isn't truly fall until you can't see any grass. Mine is getting there but the JD111 is down and some house repairs have priority. Good Luck, Rick
  • David Brown said thank you

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,466 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 05:36 PM

Nice looking property! Glad you can make some headway on the leaves!

#5 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,110 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 05:50 PM

Second picture looks like my place. The way the trees are. I would think the cfm air flow would have to be greater on the vacuum, than the cfm of the deck. If was not, it would not pick up all the stuff. Just a thought. Nice place you have, can't wait for the new pictures. I only chew up the leaves some and then Mother Nature does the rest. No leaves in the spring time for me. Noel

#6 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 06:30 PM

I live in an unincorporated subdivision that allows leaf burning.  The neighbor's cyclone vac pulverizes the leaves to the point they don't burn well at all.  He's stopped using it and has gone back to burning the leaves as they come out of his mower bagger system.

I live in a very rural area and we're about the last township in the county that is allowed to burn what we want, when we want.  I used to burn my leaves all the time but I have so many that it wasn't very practical.  I would have around 8 fires going in the garden and I ran a leaf sweeper at the time.  That was a lot of work not to mention making me smell worse than I sually do.  Then I bought an old Agri-Fab leaf vac just to see if I would like having one.  Did I ever.  I started piling the leaves back in the woods to rot then moved up to this rake.  I like the smell of leaves burning but I can live without it now.

#7 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 06:33 PM

You can see grass in between the leaves. It isn't truly fall until you can't see any grass. Mine is getting there but the JD111 is down and some house repairs have priority. Good Luck, Rick

Yeah, as stated, this is the end of the leaves and I just didn't think about doing this until now.  There was an area where all of the leaves came off one tree in one day.  They were pretty thick but I sucked them all up.  This was the best I could do.  I'll have pics ready tomorrow because this computer doesn't like to cooperate.  I have some areas finished (couldn't get it all as it was dark by the time I got done) and then of the break down of the machine.

• propane1 said thank you

#8 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 08:36 PM

Thanks again for posting this! Did not have time to comment earlier. Just as I opened this thread, I got a call telling me my 84 yr old Dad was out in the yard dropping the transmit ion out of his pickup. I did not want no one to be around to help if things did not go well and had to run over to his house.

I only have 2 soft maples in my yard so am not too concerned with leaves. But have over an acre of lawn and collect the clippings for mulch. My 318 with. Power flow bagged does ok. But with only two bags it seems as if I spend too much time running to the garden or compost pile. Two bags full can sure be felt when full. The cyclone sounds real good, but since my whole place is one big hill I wonder how big a GT I need to handle the load?

I am not surprised that full it will push you around. The commercial pro holds 44 bushels , grass (holds a lot of water) and I think weighs around 70 lbs. per bushel so would run 3080 lbs. Incidentally that is the model recommended for my 318.

Edited by JD DANNELS, November 05, 2015 - 08:48 PM.

#9 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 09:01 PM

I would think the smaller model would work for you. My neighbor to the north has nothing but hillside and a box store Cub Cadet. He does fine. He also owns the property in my picture with all the trees. I wouldnt want to use mine on a hillside. One section of my property is sloped pretty good but I get that first when the thing is empty.

#10 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 09:35 PM

Well I'm going to give this stupd computer a chance to redeem itself.  Got everything done and put away till next year.  Now the oaks can start dropping leaves all over the place.  I'm done.

Here is a pic of when I was just getting started.

Leaves 1.JPG

A few of the finished area.

Leaves 2.JPG Leaves 3.JPG Leaves 4.JPG

This one is taken from the back of the house so you can see the portion yet to be done.

Leaves 5.JPG

The rig in the garage

Leaves 6.JPG

Tubes off and folded down.

Leaves 7.JPG

Engine removed. It's on its own wheels.

Leaves 8.JPG

Hanging on the wall for the winter. Sorry, this one is a bit blurry.

Leaves 9.JPG

These vacuums work best when you have nice grass.  In the areas where I don't have much in the way of grass, the leaves tend to fly out from under the deck.  It's frustrating but not the fault of the vacuum.  Overall, I would say that this is a very quality machine.  Sure it has it's quirks, everything does, but the quality is there.  It's very well thought out.  I opted for the heavy duty wheels for mine.  Basically that means you get dual wheels instead of single.  I fugured it would get heavy and these help carry the load.  I also got the wall hanging kit.  Originally I didn't want it because I had hooks to use.  First time I hung it on my hook they straightened right out and the thing came down.  It's heavy.  Invest in the wall hanging kit.  It's worth it.

Edited by David Brown, November 06, 2015 - 06:46 AM.

• Alc, sodisr, EricR and 2 others have said thanks

#11 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,110 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted November 06, 2015 - 04:09 AM

Nice job. Noel

#12 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,494 Thanks
  • 4,949 posts

Posted November 06, 2015 - 08:46 AM

Well that's not good, you were supposed to come to my house and finish testing it for the season.

:smilewink:  :D

Edited by TAHOE, November 06, 2015 - 08:47 AM.