• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 1mathom1 OFFLINE  

1mathom1
  • Member No: 61486
  • 208 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 09:52 AM

Anybody ever fab up a front weight rack?    I have a 2414 with wheel weights all around but every now and then think a bit more front weight would be in order.  (They were not on the tractor when I took the profile pic).      Thought it might be interesting to fab a rack that would hold some "mini" suitcase style weights cut from plate steel.    Don't really want to modify my front bumper.

Edited by 1mathom1, November 05, 2015 - 09:53 AM.

#2 Bud OFFLINE  

Bud

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 650
  • 341 Thanks
  • 404 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 11:07 AM

I made one for my Masseys. Pictures under the posting " weight change".

• Alc said thank you

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,660 Thanks
  • 6,474 posts

Posted November 08, 2015 - 08:53 AM

How about right on that bumper out front? Those are pretty tough, but don't really have too much for bolts to mount on frame I guess.  OR, remove that one, make similar out of heavier stock and mount back farther on frame sides? My old Speedex's have a frame that mounts on the "Axle" believe it or not with two big 1/2" bolts and sticks out from tractor a ways with a guard on front. Kind of a carry-all or can put weights in it too. Have pix on here in Speedex section I think. the newer plastic kings have a similar to old bumper and it is on the axle also, but is all welded on. It is heavier than the old style, but don't stick out as far.

#4 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,003 Thanks
  • 829 posts

Posted November 08, 2015 - 05:49 PM

Hi I'm curious what are using your PK for that you need more wt on the front? I know when I use my brinly 10" plow with the Suburban I need additional wt but havn't need any for the PK yet.

#5 1mathom1 OFFLINE  

1mathom1
  • Member No: 61486
  • 208 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 10:17 AM

My tandem disc causes it to get a bit light in some soils.   I also use it to pull trailers around and my 16' car hauler, particularly when I have some construction debris on it,  gets the front end light.

• MNGB said thank you

#6 MNGB ONLINE  

MNGB
  • Member No: 62466
  • 1,003 Thanks
  • 829 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 01:44 PM

Hi , ok now I understand like a grownup, that makes sense, I noticed on my PK's older one being a 76 and the other a 84 model that the front bumper has less than 1" between it and the grill on the 76 and the 84 has about 3+ inches of space, one think to watch if that's how you attach the wt is the bumper is only held on by a 3/8" bolt  to a tab that is welded to the frame. Mine has no wts but somehow the weld that holds the tab on broke so it would be a place to watch.

#7 countryboy88 OFFLINE  

countryboy88
  • Member No: 8702
  • 76 Thanks
  • 131 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 09:20 PM

JD Duals.jpg
220.jpg

Here is the bracket I made for my Jim Dandy, the Land Pride blade I bought was a little heavier then I thought it was. I used 1"x 2" rectangular tubing and built a sub frame and then hung the weight on the front of it. I secured the weights with to pieces of all-thread and wing nuts.