• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,525 Thanks
  • 39,746 posts

Posted November 21, 2015 - 07:19 AM

This post is greatly appreciated.  I have a 20 hp GT Limited Edition and 18 hp Craftsman II, both of which need the brake lining replaced...the 18 hp model to the extent I ran into a stall door the other day, in 3H...Door didn't fair too well, GT wasn't dinged at all.

I have procrastinated doing the reline cuz drilling and riveting were going to be a challenge.

If glue works I can do it.

Question? Does everyone strip the paint for their restores or sand blast?  The LE is fairly decent looking but the other is a tad rough...thinking about repainting it completely.

Good post.  Thanks. 

I use JBWeld for the glue on these. Seems to work just fine.

• MolonLabe, Phluphy and Marlin1963 have said thanks

#62 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted November 21, 2015 - 09:52 AM

I use JBWeld for the glue on these. Seems to work just fine.

JB it will be.

Thanks

• Marlin1963 said thank you

#63 Marlin1963 OFFLINE  

Marlin1963
  • Member No: 76789
  • 108 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted November 22, 2015 - 11:44 PM

I got some work done on my GT, I have the upper grill in primer and ready to be finish sanded and  I also welded the grooves that the foot rests always cut into the clutch/brake rod, here are some pics. I have been having allot of health issues lately that's why I'm not getting much done.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00011.JPG
  • DSC00014.JPG
  • DSC00015.JPG
  • DSC00017.JPG
  • DSC00018.JPG
  • DSC00009.JPG
  • DSC00010.JPG

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#64 Marlin1963 OFFLINE  

Marlin1963
  • 108 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted November 22, 2015 - 11:52 PM

Hi Phluphy, I used a dremal tool with the round sanding discs to rough up the inside of the band or you could blast it, I didn't like the profile that my blaster left, so I chose to use the dremal. JB weld works fantastically for this, have you ordered your lining material yet?

• Phluphy said thank you

#65 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted November 23, 2015 - 12:19 AM

Hi Phluphy, I used a dremal tool with the round sanding discs to rough up the inside of the band or you could blast it, I didn't like the profile that my blaster left, so I chose to use the dremal. JB weld works fantastically for this, have you ordered your lining material yet?

Actually I was referring to repainting the entire tractor...wheels to air shrouds.  But, now that you mention it, guess there will be some prepping to do on the bands also.  I can usually Rube Goldberg about any task that faces me, one way or another and don't have a dremel...will cross that bridge when it's reached.

Yes, submitted my order for the lining yesterday. Response was, they'd process it Monday.

Thanks

#66 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,525 Thanks
  • 39,746 posts

Posted November 23, 2015 - 06:13 AM

That's looking good Marlin!

#67 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 11:54 AM

Not sure so figured I'd ask: Will it work to wrap the brake drum in waxed paper and wrap the JB welded brake band and new lining around it to secure in place until it sets up? Figured this would work to keep everything lined up but not sure if the JB will bleed through the waxed paper. Try not to get messy doing things but there's always room for error. 

#68 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,525 Thanks
  • 39,746 posts

Posted November 24, 2015 - 01:45 PM

Not sure so figured I'd ask: Will it work to wrap the brake drum in waxed paper and wrap the JB welded brake band and new lining around it to secure in place until it sets up? Figured this would work to keep everything lined up but not sure if the JB will bleed through the waxed paper. Try not to get messy doing things but there's always room for error. 

The JBWeld shouldn't bleed through!

• Phluphy and Marlin1963 have said thanks

#69 Marlin1963 OFFLINE  

Marlin1963
  • 108 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted November 28, 2015 - 12:59 AM

I got the black part of the upper grill painted this morning and I've been getting around a little better so I managed to get the hood all block sanded and ready to paint, I know I keep saying I'm going to paint the silver parts and I haven't yet. Here are a few more pics of the sanding process of the upper grill

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00008.JPG
  • DSC00005.JPG
  • DSC00006.JPG
  • DSC00007.JPG
  • DSC00006.JPG
  • DSC00001.JPG

• KennyP said thank you

#70 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,525 Thanks
  • 39,746 posts

Posted November 28, 2015 - 05:46 AM

That looks real nice, Marlin!

#71 Georgia SS OFFLINE  

Georgia SS
  • Member No: 70125
  • 29 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted November 28, 2015 - 09:21 AM

HI MARLIN

I have been checking out your restoration project, looking good, on the dash subject you may have a problem fitting the battery in the fiberglass dash, reason being on the tractors with a plastic dash roper moved the battery and box back about 1 1/2" to clear the onan cyl.head and spark plug. Note the fiberglass dash switch area is a lot forward. On one of my GT18 the dash was  a mess that I later fixed with plastic bumper repair epoxy, so I moved the battery tray forward one bolt hole and wound up with the spark plug under the battery tray, a short racing header plug and a angle boot works fine, cut a hole in the battery tray to access the spark plug, may suprise the next owner, works for me.

Good Luck

Jimmy

In South Georgia

• wahoowad and Marlin1963 have said thanks

#72 wahoowad OFFLINE  

wahoowad
  • Member No: 63279
  • 49 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted November 28, 2015 - 09:35 AM

Jimmy,

I would love to see a new thread about your GT18 plastic repair! Any pics would be appreciated. My plastic GT18 dash is cracking and I feel like I need to stabilize it somehow to prevent further damage. I've already lost a few bits of plastic that have broken off as it seems to be getting brittle with time. 

#73 Georgia SS OFFLINE  

Georgia SS
  • Member No: 70125
  • 29 Thanks
  • 22 posts

Posted November 28, 2015 - 10:34 AM

HI

NOT TRYING TO HIJACK THIS THREAD,BUT PASSING ON MY EXPERIENCES WITH RESTORING SEARS GTs. FIRST I SANDBLASTED ALL THE PLASTIC DASH TO REMOVE ANY THING THAT WOULD KEEP ADHESIVE FROM STICKING, WENT TO A FRIENDS BODY SHOP WHO DID A LOT OF PLASTIC BUMPER REPAIR, HAD SEVERAL TYPES OF PLASTIC REPAIR IN DOUBLE TUBE CALKING GUN TYPE, SOME ADHESIVE NON HARDENING AND SOME HARD AND SANDABLE, PLENTY OF PLASTIC SCRAP AROUND SO CUT UP ALL THE REPAIR PATCHES THAT MAY BE NEEDED (CLEAN WELL) FOR PATCHING, USED SOFT ADHESIVE FOR PATCHING AND SANDABLE FOR OUTSIDE FILLING. WHILE AT THE JOB DECIDED TO REINFORCE THE INSIDES WELL TO PREVENT FUTURE BREAKS. USE LARGER PATCHES THAN NECESSARY, OUTSIDE LOOKS GOOD AS NEW BUT INSIDE LOOKS WELL PATCHED. PLASTIC BODY REPAIR ADHESIVE IS NOT VERY CHEAP.

HANG IN THERE

JIMMY

• Alc said thank you

#74 Marlin1963 OFFLINE  

Marlin1963
  • 108 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted December 02, 2015 - 10:04 AM

Hi Jimmy,  I'm not sure what your configuration was on your machine that you had to do all of this modifying, but this dash on the 78 GT18 frame and engine partition set up worked out pretty good, the battery fits perfect and I sat the engine on it and it fits perfectly.

The problem I will have is the throttle cable because the shape of the mechanism, it won't fit all the way down in the slot because of the shape of the dash so I'll order one for that generation. I hate this dash because it's not original, but the original plastic junk dash is nonexistent. I might later down the road get pics of the original dash and make a metal clone. if I think I can make them fast enough and good enough I would make more to sell.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC00011.JPG
  • DSC00008.JPG
  • DSC00009.JPG
  • DSC00010.JPG

• Alc said thank you

#75 Rocko OFFLINE  

Rocko
  • Member No: 78175
  • 25 Thanks
  • 44 posts

Posted December 03, 2015 - 04:59 AM

Beautiful , it looks better than off the show room floor -------I love the steering wheel and the dash