#1 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 29484
  • 4,891 Thanks
  • 2,794 posts

Posted November 04, 2015 - 02:02 PM

I had Sunrun Inc. install solar panels on my roof today. I did not buy them as some people do, the way it works is they install monitor and maintain the system at no cost to me . They sell the unused power back to the grid and my electric bill will be fifty dollars a month year round . As they are governed by the state they can only increase my bill by 2.9 percent per year which equals one dollar forty cents . Its a no brainer, I still have to pay the wire service charge but its not much. Check it out.IMG_1192.JPG

• olcowhand, MH81, Alc and 8 others have said thanks

#2 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,868 Thanks
  • 3,198 posts

Posted November 04, 2015 - 02:20 PM

Several of my neighbours use solar and are totally independent of the grid and love it. Some feed back into it as well. Good thing you have the pic of the one fellow standing on that panel. If it has issues in the future you have proof. They are not designed for bearing weight.
  • Alc, boyscout862 and HANKG have said thanks

#3 Canawler ONLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted November 04, 2015 - 02:55 PM

There was just a local story about installing solar panels on the news the other day. They said the panels have a lifespan of 20-25 years. If you're buying the panels outright, you have to factor in the cost of removing and reinstalling them to re-shingle when necessary. I was telling my wife they need to come up with panels that are weather proof and completely replace your roof.
  • Alc, boyscout862 and HANKG have said thanks

#4 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,790 Thanks
  • 7,540 posts

Posted November 04, 2015 - 03:09 PM

In CT, I get calls constantly for putting the panels on my roof. They then want to charge me more per kwh than I'm paying now. They claim "but it won't go up". I think alot of the companies are a ripoff especially the ones who barely speak english. The local news the other night was showing how one of these companies collected money from customers, collected the rebates from the state, had a subcontractor install the systems, and then took off. The life estimates seem to be exaggerated. The efficiency of the panels drops with time, after 10 years they will have lost part of their capacity. It used to be said that average useable life was 10 years. Now I fear that they've lowered the standard for "useable". I will wait a few more years to see how things go.

Your deal is much better than anything available in CT. All the risk is on the company. I hope that it works out well for you. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, November 04, 2015 - 03:10 PM.

• oldedeeres, TomLGT195 and HANKG have said thanks

#5 tiretrx ONLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 931 Thanks
  • 679 posts

Posted November 04, 2015 - 03:44 PM

That's a better deal than I was offered. Mine was no cost to me. They sell the excess, and I get what I use "at a discount". I'm going to wait.

Forgot to add, all the best with your new system :thumbs:

Edited by tiretrx, November 04, 2015 - 03:44 PM.

• HANKG said thank you

#6 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,891 Thanks
  • 2,794 posts

Posted November 04, 2015 - 04:47 PM

On a side note, if your roof is not in good shape I would not do it. The foreman on my job told me of a job they just did where the roof was not in good shape, he contacted his boss and told him the situation and the boss told him to make it happen anyway. He said the homeowner sued and would probably win because he and his men made it worse by installing the panels, so me thinks the company sells that extra juice for a handsome profit and can afford a hit once in awhile. The system according to them will last 25 years so what if it costs them a roof now and then. That thing is going to be cranking out that free power for a long time making up for an eight thousand roof hit.

#7 Marty'70 OFFLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 731 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted November 04, 2015 - 05:46 PM

What happens when the snow covers them?

#8 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,891 Thanks
  • 2,794 posts

Posted November 04, 2015 - 06:04 PM

What happens when the snow covers them?

That's a good question but I think it probably melts on contact their certainly not going to lose money because of snow . And it won't affect me anyway there contract says maintain the system also if there is no sun for a week I'm not charged.
  • Marty'70 said thank you

#9 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted November 04, 2015 - 06:30 PM

I had a rep come out to my house after I put a new roof on. I was not convinced at all this was about 6 or so years ago. each year the output level decreases basically the last 5 years are no out put. even though it was a lease agreement there still was no guarantee they will be in business 25 years from now seemed sketchy. I only had enough roof area to cover 60% of my useage.

I see alot of neat new products coming out solar roof shingles and even paver panels you can put in driveway.
  • HANKG said thank you

#10 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,152 Thanks
  • 4,500 posts

Posted November 04, 2015 - 08:15 PM

Many of the utility company's do not want any outside source for electrical power.  A friend bought a small wind turbine, large enough o cover all of his needs and then some.  He checked with the local REC and they required a $1,000,00.00 liability policy before they would install the automatic panel at over $500.  When he checked on the insurance policy, the premium for a year was going to be well over what he pays a year for his electricity now.  Proof enough that the REC does not want anyone to put electricity back into the grid and they have to pay for it.  No wonder why our light bill is high.  A 3 year employee lineman draws over $25 an hour.  A 35 year supervisor draws over $35 an hour.  And we are supposed to own the company ? ? ?

#11 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,737 Thanks
  • 8,912 posts

Posted November 04, 2015 - 08:42 PM

Hank, what is the projected output of that set up?

Before my FIL retired, his gripe with wind and solar was that the smaller REA's have to pay retail for the excess energy dumped back into the grid. He said they were producing power for .015-.02 cents KWH. Retail was .08. Also, smaller power companies don't have the resources, or the volume to make it worthwhile, to go after the tax incentives offered by the federal gov't.

• HANKG said thank you

#12 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,891 Thanks
  • 2,794 posts

Posted November 04, 2015 - 11:38 PM

It produces 100 percent of my electrical needs, not really sure how much goes back into the grid I hope that address's your question cat. Again it is their equipment and they are totally responsible for its output and maintenance. It is wise to pick a reputable company Sunrun is the second largest solar co.in the country. The KWH price is a little less than the standard utility co. price. Its become very popular in NJ. Not all homes can benefit from it because of trees and other homes blocking the sun. My home has a southern exposure which is ideal for the install.
  • Cat385B said thank you

#13 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,455 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 06:38 AM

Hank that should be a bidirectional meter on you house now ( net metering ) . I can see a problem in the future when enough of them are installed ( same as landline phones )   the power companies will get minimum bill from solar & wind like your  but have to maintain the lines , transformers ect . So if half the neighborhood has solar the costs are going to be shifted more to the ones who don't have it or more likely  there's going to be a different way associated with the net metering . Right now there are only few in our area with landline phones so that cost now has to be spread on a lot less then years ago .    

https://www.washco-m...ring-Primer.pdf

#14 karl OFFLINE  

karl
  • Member No: 38218
  • 1,047 Thanks
  • 778 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 06:41 AM

Can anyone say....Sales pitch?

#15 HANKG OFFLINE  

HANKG
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,891 Thanks
  • 2,794 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 07:44 AM

Hank that should be a bidirectional meter on you house now ( net metering ) . I can see a problem in the future when enough of them are installed ( same as landline phones )   the power companies will get minimum bill from solar & wind like your  but have to maintain the lines , transformers ect . So if half the neighborhood has solar the costs are going to be shifted more to the ones who don't have it or more likely  there's going to be a different way associated with the net metering . Right now there are only few in our area with landline phones so that cost now has to be spread on a lot less then years ago .    

https://www.washco-m...ring-Primer.pdf

Yes the meter runs in reverse. An inverter is also installed on the house for those who don't understand how it works. I did not think of that Al, good point I know you work for a power co. next the govt. will be subsidizing the power co's. lol