• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lspencer001 OFFLINE  

lspencer001
  • Member No: 8595
  • 10 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted November 04, 2015 - 01:31 PM

hello. I have a bush hog D4-7. in the spring I had the carburetor rebuilt on it and after that it ran fine. I went to start it one day to move it and it starts up fine and runs good but will only run for about 5-7 minutes before it dies. it has a new battery and the charging system works on it. when it dies I have to turn off the key and then turn it back on and re-choke it and it takes off again for another 7 minutes. It always starts right back up each and every time without having to wait for it to cool off. A friend suggested that it might be a bad ground someplace or the coil might be bad. any ideas as what it might be. also do not know the year but am guessing that it is around a 1968 as it has the new style seat pan.  

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,700 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted November 04, 2015 - 02:52 PM

Hello , What engine is in this?

I would suggest installing an inline spark tester to see if your losing spark when it starts to stall out

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted November 04, 2015 - 02:58 PM

You need to check if it is a spark or a gas problem. I would try loosening the gas cap and running it. If it stays running then the gas cap vent is plugged. It could also be a fuel filter mostly plugged or a fuel line constricted. Check the fuel flow into the carb. Find the engine manual in our Manuals Section and read the "Troubleshooting Guide". The best one seems to be in the B&S Repairmans Manual. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, November 04, 2015 - 02:59 PM.

• Chopperhed said thank you

#4 crittersf1 OFFLINE  

crittersf1

GT Lunatic

• Member No: 26142
  • 4,169 Thanks
  • 5,761 posts

Posted November 04, 2015 - 03:10 PM

:camera: :camera:

#5 lspencer001 OFFLINE  

lspencer001
  • 10 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted November 04, 2015 - 03:21 PM

yeah the fuel line was replaced as well as the tank being cleaned out. it has a new fuel bowl and a new spark plug. I also have origional copies of all the owners manuals in a binder that I have been collecting for the past 30 yrs, ever since I got my first D4-7. have two now. first one needs a major overhall and this one which runs great when it wants to run. will go out and try the gas cap test first. The model # is: s-7D and serial # is: 3958125

Edited by lspencer001, November 04, 2015 - 03:24 PM.

#6 lspencer001 OFFLINE  

lspencer001
  • 10 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted November 04, 2015 - 04:24 PM

looks like it was a clogged fuel line. must have not gotten tank cleaned out good enough. I turned on the fuel bowl and no fuel was comming out so I took the air hose to the line and blew it out and at the same time it cleaned the cap out. after a few seconds of the air hose going the vent hole in the gas cap was spewing like old faithfull. I put the line back on and the fuel started to flow again. it started right back up and I let it run for at least 10 mins while playing with the throttle and it stayed running. left it set while running and it never choked or died so it must have been just a speck of rust in the line that got missed. or Im hopping thats what it is. oh when I did the wisconsion serial number look up it came back to january of 1965 but they never started making them till 1966 and it has the newer seat pan.

• sacsr and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted November 04, 2015 - 04:49 PM

lspencer001, on 04 Nov 2015 - 2:24 PM, said:lspencer001, on 04 Nov 2015 - 2:24 PM, said:lspencer001, on 04 Nov 2015 - 2:24 PM, said:

looks like it was a clogged fuel line. must have not gotten tank cleaned out good enough. I turned on the fuel bowl and no fuel was comming out so I took the air hose to the line and blew it out and at the same time it cleaned the cap out. after a few seconds of the air hose going the vent hole in the gas cap was spewing like old faithfull. I put the line back on and the fuel started to flow again. it started right back up and I let it run for at least 10 mins while playing with the throttle and it stayed running. left it set while running and it never choked or died so it must have been just a speck of rust in the line that got missed. or Im hopping thats what it is. oh when I did the wisconsion serial number look up it came back to january of 1965 but they never started making them till 1966 and it has the newer seat pan.

It's been my experience that fuel systems usually need to be done at least twice. There have been situations where I've had to do a rack of four carbs, several times to get them right. The older the equipment the more crap you find in the systems.

Edited by Chopperhed, November 04, 2015 - 04:52 PM.

• sacsr and boyscout862 have said thanks