• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,716 Thanks
  • 871 posts

Posted November 03, 2015 - 03:14 PM

hi guys, I try not to make a habit of selling parts but I have a spare eaton 1100 transaxel from a wheelhorse 520h, I have 4 of these machines and a couple of 518s, I have a parts machine with a blown motor and the tin work is rusted through, I told him these are not cheap and he would be better waiting and finding a parts tractor or another good one and he would have parts as required ( if he gets there before me, ha ha ha !!!!) the last used one I saw on ebay they were asking $800us that's over $1000 can, whats fair? don't want to rip myself off, quote in American dollars and i'll show him your comments, I really do think he needs to spend some time looking for a parts machine or its really going to cost him, I am thinking he would be better off selling the machine, I did see some new old stock ones on line for $3200us/$4200ca but whats the point in that on a tractor worth less than $1000 in good running condition
  • Chopperhed and propane1 have said thanks

#2 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted November 03, 2015 - 04:21 PM

I paid 150 Canadian for a Peerless 2501 with pump, after teardown the only thing it needed was axle bearings and seals. New they are stupendously expensive. One of the local dealers quoted me around 4 grand for a new one.

• farmer john and propane1 have said thanks

#3 Chopperhed OFFLINE  

Chopperhed
  • Member No: 20120
  • 1,852 Thanks
  • 1,071 posts

Posted November 03, 2015 - 09:21 PM

Chopperhed, on 03 Nov 2015 - 2:21 PM, said:

I paid 150 Canadian for a Peerless 2501 with pump, after teardown the only thing it needed was axle bearings and seals. New they are stupendously expensive. One of the local dealers quoted me around 4 grand for a new one.

I should add a bit. I guess it depends on if you are trying to get rich or help out a hobbiest. I've always put it down to what did it cost, can I make a few bucks, is it worth it, is he a collector, enthusiast, or just scrounging parts for a project.

Its a judgment call. I guess it depends on your level of greed.

I tend to give a lot of stuff away for less than its worth just to get rid of it, My space is limited. I also tend to lowball every one when I'm buying things because I'm a cheap arse broke guy. The old gent I got the trans from had a yard full of lawn tractors, cars and other stuff. He was happy with what he got.

Considering I've never spent more than 300 on a tractor.

What can I say. Like I said, it's a judgment call

• farmer john, Oldford and 1oldbuzz have said thanks

#4 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • 1,716 Thanks
  • 871 posts

Posted November 04, 2015 - 07:46 AM

I know exactly what you mean, I don't think its greed, the transaxel is a eaton 1100 , I don't mind selling it but I have 4 other 520s, I don't want it sell it for $200 only to find out in a year or so if I need one and have to spend $800 to get another, I just want to be close to replacement if one of mine crap out,

#5 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • 1,716 Thanks
  • 871 posts

Posted November 04, 2015 - 08:31 AM

upon further consideration I have decided selling parts this way is not for me, I just don't feel right charging what I think is fair which is usually lower than what everyone else wants, I think i'll just wait it out and maybe get myself another 520, its just not worth the time and trouble dealing with people, if I decide to ever sell something I will put a price on it post it on craigs list or kijiji, if they want it ok, if not oh well, i generally don't buy specifically to resell, i have bought tractors because i wanted the motor then sell the chassie off