16 replies to this topic

#1 trvsjnr OFFLINE  

trvsjnr
  • Member No: 33243
  • 12 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted November 03, 2015 - 02:11 PM

Hello everyone!  Just curious...

Is there any plow days or other events like that in Illinois?

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,794 Thanks
  • 7,541 posts

Posted November 03, 2015 - 02:44 PM

Welcome to GTT. I would bet that there is. Look in the topics for the threads on tractor events to see what there was this past year. Good Luck, Rick

Here is one:  http://gardentractor...nville-il-show/

Edited by boyscout862, November 03, 2015 - 02:47 PM.

#3 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted November 03, 2015 - 03:07 PM

:welcometogttalk: 

There is a Plow day between Evansville & New Harmony on Saturday Nov 7th.

#4 Grumpy ONLINE  

Grumpy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 440
  • 642 Thanks
  • 578 posts

Posted November 03, 2015 - 04:49 PM

:welcometogttalk:

There is a Plow day between Evansville & New Harmony on Saturday Nov 7th.

It has been moved this year. Its between  Evansville and Mt. Vernon, IN

Keck Plow day will be at 9:00 Nov. 7 2015. between Evansville and Mt Vernon IN, Go south on Ford Rd. off of State Rd. 62 to dead end, turn left and go 1/2 mile watch for signs. Food and drink will be provided. Every on is ask to bring chips or desert. Call me with questions  812 453 9831.

Grumpy

#5 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted November 03, 2015 - 06:57 PM

Pffft  Illinois is as good as forgotten wasteland  nothing good seems to happen here any more. (at least in the northern 1/2)

#6 mrmd OFFLINE  

mrmd
  • Member No: 62285
  • 207 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted November 03, 2015 - 07:36 PM

You can say that again.

#7 trvsjnr OFFLINE  

trvsjnr
  • 12 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted November 04, 2015 - 07:15 AM

Well, then let's get things going in Illinois again!

What does it take to hold a plow day event?  How long do they last?  What is the average schedule of events?  How much land do you typically plow?  Any and all info and opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

#8 det12187 OFFLINE  

det12187
  • Member No: 75145
  • 23 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted November 04, 2015 - 03:10 PM

Illinois can't be any worse then Michigan especially the Flint area! GM pulled out and Flint

became a toilet, thanks GM!

#9 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted November 04, 2015 - 08:01 PM

Well, then let's get things going in Illinois again!

that sounds like our new governor that I'm sure most are kicking themselves for voting in.....

I'll just say that I hope you have different ideas.... (not necesarily political)

#10 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 05:54 PM

There used to be a big one near Rockford IL every other year and one held at the farm of Steve Blunier(sp). They were usualy more advertised on the JD and Cub Cadet forums than on here.  A good plow day in north central Indiana is also sorely needed, some where near Kokomo, plenty of farm ground, I am supprised someone hasnt started one here.  I live in town, so I have no advice on getting one started.  Mike

#11 FixItCharlie ONLINE  

FixItCharlie
  • Member No: 47950
  • 358 Thanks
  • 258 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 09:19 PM

I look at the vote for Governor was a choice of two evils. One is the Governor that we got or being the first state in the Union to file bankruptcy & that would be a real eye opener when everyone is thrown to the streets because we can not pay our taxes.

Charlie

• dodge trucker said thank you

#12 trvsjnr OFFLINE  

trvsjnr
  • 12 Thanks
  • 18 posts

Posted November 07, 2015 - 10:15 AM

Well, how many would be interested in doing a event in Illinois?  I am from Mt. Vernon, which is southern Illinois.  Just thinking out loud... if I planned one, I would want to have a plethora of things to do, not just plowing.  I would want some plowing, tilling, planting, mowing, maybe some dirt moving and grading, etc.  I'd be open to any other suggestions that one may have for things to do.  I'd want it to where anyone could come join us and have options on things to do.

What time of year works best?  Spring or Fall?  Do people camp out or would hotels be needed?

Come on guys :)  Hit me with any and all suggestions.  If I plan a event, I want it to be very fun and memorable!

Thanks!

#13 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,897 posts

Posted November 07, 2015 - 10:50 AM

SWAP MEET is a must.  

Camping would be awesome.

• trvsjnr said thank you

#14 mtoney OFFLINE  

mtoney
  • Member No: 13665
  • 557 Thanks
  • 539 posts

Posted November 07, 2015 - 11:55 AM

Some camp, some find a motel and many just come for the day.  Fall is usualy best, as soon as the crops are harvested.  Bean fields are the best for GT's to plow, but corn stubble is ok if a full size disc is lightly run over the field prior to plowing to mince up the stubble a bit.  Porta pots are a must.  Some provide food, others is a carry in type lunch.  I have seen plow days held with even a light coat of snow on the field. Plenty of advance notice and try not to hold one on the same day as another one or tractor show.  If fall harvest or spring planting is underway, then turnout is lower.  Swap meet adds to the fun, along with just guys that like to show and not plow.  If its a colder weather event, try to hold it where there is a decent barn/pole barn to get in out of the cold to warm up and eat.  Remember to have plenty of parking as pickups with trailers eat up space fast!  Also try to advertise on all the major tractor forums.  Here, over on the WFM site for the JD guys, the IH sites for the Cub Cadet guys, Redsquare for Wheelhorse, CaseColtIngersol, for the Case/Colt guys ect.  Some folks only hang out on one or two forums and may not be aware of this one.  Also, I recommend a plow set up school prior with someone that knows how to properly set up the plow to help the newbies and a seperate area to "tune in" plows.  Once it grows, you will find that the smaller tractors will have problems following the bigger GT's and Super GT's when plowing.  So at those plow days, the larger GT's started on one side of the field, plowing toward the middle, the smaller ones started on the other side.  This made everybody happy and the bigger and usualy faster GT's were not held up by smaller and normaly slower small GT's.   Myself, my wife and my boss/friend from work will try to attend if you get one going.  Mike

• KennyP and trvsjnr have said thanks

#15 mrmd OFFLINE  

mrmd
  • Member No: 62285
  • 207 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted November 07, 2015 - 12:36 PM

I,m I Lincoln Il and this sounds like a great idea. The only two I went to were in My and Wis. All of the above would be great. Was a little chilly in Wis so they prepared a huge bonfire that all enjoyed. Also did a little night plowing. Was cool seeing all the headlines coming down the row.
  • KennyP and trvsjnr have said thanks