2 replies to this topic

#1 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 349 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted November 03, 2015 - 01:52 PM

I have the Kohler Command CH22 out of my Ariens Grand Sierra for head gaskets and a front main oil seal.  When I removed the coils, there were fiber washers under the coils where the screws mounted the coils to the block.  They were made of a material similar to the new head gaskets.  They even had the (we'll call it knurled for descriptions sake) head gasket pattern on them.  The fiber washers pretty much disintegrated upon removal.  They are not shown on the parts diagram.  Are these washers required?  I suppose I could make some out of the old head gaskets if I had to, but I'm thinking they are not required since they are not shown on the diagram.??  They were only on the bottom between the coil and block, not under the bolt heads.  Has anyone else seen these before?  Thanks in advance for the help.

http://www.jackssmal...gine/20071/1866

Billy

Edited by Billy M, November 03, 2015 - 02:11 PM.

#2 mrmr56 OFFLINE  

mrmr56
  • Member No: 62092
  • 202 Thanks
  • 122 posts

Posted November 03, 2015 - 03:49 PM

It looks like somebody before you was trying to shim the coils for whatever reason. I have several v-twin commands and I have never found anything behind them.

• Alc said thank you

#3 Billy M OFFLINE  

Billy M
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 15999
  • 349 Thanks
  • 355 posts

Posted November 04, 2015 - 03:48 PM

I talked to my local Gravely/Ariens dealer.  They haven't seen or heard of any washers under the coils.  I'm going to leave them out...not that I have any to put back in.

Also...it ran fine before disassembly.  I checked the coils while I had it apart and one tested bad.  I'm replacing both coils while I have it torn down.  Anyone else have a coil test bad, but the engine run fine?  I do have the early coils, which apparently Kohler had some issues with...according to the interwebs.??  That's another reason I don't mind replacing both of them.