9 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,485 posts

Posted November 03, 2015 - 08:06 AM

Started a few days ago drying apples for this winter.  Started with a tall 5 gal. pail full.  The dehydrator holds about 14 or 15 apples at a time.  I run them through the peeler, corer, slicer first.  the cut down one side to make the apple rings and drop them in a pail of water.  Water has about 1/4 cup of Real Lemon to a gallon of water.  This keeps them from turning brown.  6 rings at a time are laid on a small folded towel and the other half is folded over them and pressed down to remove the excess water.  Takes a second or tow to do that, then arrange them on the trays so they are not overlapping.  5 trays at a time with a heater with fan type dehydrator will take about 12 -14 hours.  Each batch yields 2 1/2 quart zip lock bag of dried apple rings.  Don';t know if I will do any more or not.  Takes about an hour to get a batch in the dehydrator and running.  A real good way to use your excess apples.  We have ton of excess this year so the goats will eat good for a few days.

• daytime dave, Alc, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks

#2 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,443 Thanks
  • 6,608 posts

Posted November 03, 2015 - 08:54 AM

Would you mine showing pictures of your peeler , corer, slicer and  hydrator ?  What else do you dry ?

• chieffan said thank you

#3 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,476 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted November 03, 2015 - 09:04 AM

I would like to dry some, my grandma used to have a microwave style dryer, I love grabbing those pieces and chewing on them. I liked that she left them kind of soft, not completely crispy, almost like chewing on a piece of leather :D

I gotta thaw one of our turkeys, need to make some jerky using he dryer for that.

• Alc and chieffan have said thanks

#4 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,652 posts

Posted November 03, 2015 - 09:28 AM

Do you have trouble keeping the squirrels out of the house? :D

• KennyP and chieffan have said thanks

#5 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,485 posts

Posted November 03, 2015 - 02:27 PM

Would you mine showing pictures of your peeler , corer, slicer and  hydrator ?  What else do you dry ?

First photo is unit open and ready for an apple.  Apple is slid on the 4 prongs centered as close as one can get.

Apple Peler-1.JPG     Apple peler-2.JPG   

Second photo shows the corer, the ring type cutter and the peeler on the right side.  It is on a swivel and spring loaded to open up for the larger part of the apple and close back down near the end.

Dehyd-1.JPG    Dehyd-2.JPG    Apple Ring.JPG

Our dehydrator has the fan on top along with the heating unit.  It dries a lot faster with forced hot air.  Apples have to be firm.  A soft or over ripe apple will not go through.  The apple needs to be centered on the prongs so it will cut even and peel all the way around.  

One can dry about any fruit, vegetable or meat.   I use it to make deer jerky.   Marinate it over night, dry it off and run it in the dehydrator for about 6 hours, then on a flat pan in an over for 1/2 hour.  Have to use the over or nuker to kill the bacteria in the meat as the dehydrator don't get hot enough for that.  Bananas are real good dried along with several other fruits.

This unit is one my folks bought about the mid 50's.  Dad tightened it down to tight and broke the clamping part off.  Moms brother-in-lay ran a blacksmith shop and he brazed it back together again.  We have bought a couple newer units to give to the kids.  One took a lot of messing with to get it to work decent.  The second one we picked up at a yard sale for $3.  My youngest son wants to use it so have to get it working now.

Edited by chieffan, November 03, 2015 - 02:56 PM.

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,485 posts

Posted November 03, 2015 - 03:00 PM

Do you have trouble keeping the squirrels out of the house? :D

Huh ? ?  I always thought squirrels ate nuts, not apples.  :oh_shucks:    :peace:

#7 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,592 Thanks
  • 7,652 posts

Posted November 03, 2015 - 03:59 PM

The ones in my yard don't know that.

• chieffan said thank you

#8 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted November 03, 2015 - 05:25 PM

That's a great way to use the excess apples.  Thanks for asking for pictures Al.  I would have if you didn't.

Thanks for those great photos.  I can smell and taste the dried apples from your photographs.  I have a similar peeler.  I can attest that the apples have to be firm.  

Mmmmmmmm, Mmmmmmmmmm good.

#9 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,485 posts

Posted November 03, 2015 - 07:12 PM

The ones in my yard don't know that.

If they are the 4 legged bush tailed ones, they taste awful good wrapped in bacon and backed.  Or even wrapped and cooked over an open fire.

#10 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,134 Thanks
  • 4,485 posts

Posted November 03, 2015 - 07:15 PM

We like the apples nice and crispy.  When you pass the retirement age by 10 years you change they way you eat a few things.  That leathery chewy stuff is one of the choices that go.  The granddaughter loves apples and she like them crispy too.  Got to please her you know.