A guestion or three

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 andyk333 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 76200
  • 2 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 11:26 PM

New here, just got a new to me speedex 1631. This thing is great and it doesn't run, I cant beleave how simple it is and every thing on it has a use no bells and whistles love it. First question- it has a 1/2 drive belt on it but pulleys look 5/8 what size and length is supposed to be on It? Second question- on rear axel where big gear is at ,does this have gear oil in it and if so how do you check it and change it I haven't found any plugs in it that can be removed.

• Traill95 and grattone have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,516 Thanks
  • 7,379 posts

Posted November 03, 2015 - 01:28 AM

Welcome to GTT. Checkout our Manuals Section for three free downloads per day. The Owners Manual will give you the maintenence info. The Parts Manual should give you the belt size or a part number. The Engine Manual should have a troubleshooting guide to help get the engine running. Post some pics and ask questions as you progress. The rear should have oil in it, most likely a 90w. Check the manual. Good Luck, Rick

Here is the Owners Manual and Parts Manual: http://gardentractor...-owners-manual/

Here is belts: http://gardentractor...edex-belt-book/

Edited by boyscout862, November 03, 2015 - 01:55 AM.

• MH81 said thank you

• Member No: 10038
  • 4,676 Thanks
  • 4,224 posts

Posted November 03, 2015 - 05:23 AM

:welcometogttalk: , and :wewantpics: 

#4 Alc OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,293 Thanks
  • 6,497 posts

Posted November 03, 2015 - 06:41 AM

Welcome to GTTalk !!    Yea most of the older machine are a pleasure to work on compared to the newer  ones

#5 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 6,374 posts

Posted November 03, 2015 - 07:56 AM

This is 3spd sideways with the big Bull gear in back? One of the bottom bolts holding the cover side on to the main case casting will let oil leak out. One up higher is the level bolt, fill till it comes out the bolt. I'm not real sure on which one for the level, it is not that much really. To put in, the two-piece tin cover nearer center on outside comes loose with a few bolts and is quite open there to see in and fill. There is no seals on that cover around any shaft or axle coming out of it. There IS a gasket on the cover, think just the lower half?? There is a grease zerk at top of the pinion shaft, where the bigger sprocket is mounted for the bushing in that area. The big gear and little idlers relie on "splash" from oil brought up on the big bull gear. Oil the chain from trans to sprockets also. the trans has a drain and side level plug, but really is best to just have 8 ounces of lube in it, which puts it a little below the opening on the side of trans. These trans have no seals on shaft outlets, just oil slingers and will leak out the oil if brought up to the plug opening. Some think 1/2 STP and 90 gear oil is a better lube, less grinding action if shifting.

Forgot to say on axle ends at wheels there is a grease fitting for the bushings there and that is also the only oil seal on those. Good stiff black grease works best at keeping the dirt somewhat out of the axles.

Edited by glgrumpy, November 03, 2015 - 07:59 AM.

• Bmerf said thank you

#6 andyk333 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 76200
  • 2 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted November 03, 2015 - 10:08 PM

Thanks everyone for the answers. I did find the gear lube plugs tonight they were covered in hardened grease then at some point it all was painted over!

#7 speedbird OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8857
  • 117 Thanks
  • 58 posts

Posted November 09, 2015 - 06:03 PM

The imformation that I found is that the belt size is 5/8 x 67".