• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 JDub OFFLINE  

JDub
  • Member No: 76385
  • 54 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 10:38 PM

First time posting, but I've been lurking for a few months. By way of an introduction, we recently moved onto an acreage with a couple acres of garden, a small pasture, and an orchard. We picked up a CUT with an FEL to do most of the heavy work. Though we had hoped that our modern lawn 'tractor' would be able to handle the light duty, we quickly learned of its inherent weakness. After a little bit of internet sleuthing, I found myself monitoring the classifieds in search of an older GT.

Unfortunately, I quickly learned that these machines are hard to find in my part of the country. Eventually, I got lucky and found not one, but two machines in the same week--a Craftsman GTV18, with a 44" deck and a snow thrower, and a Bolens 1886. I spent the next couple of days explaining to my wife the undeniable logic that two is better than one.

IMG_1322.jpg

IMG_1278.jpg

I now have two projects to occupy my time. The GTV has a fuel problem, which I think should be easy enough to fix. The 1886 has an electrical problem, which I hope to be simple, though I'm expecting a headache there. Both tractors are slated to be completely refurbished. I'm going to start with the GTV because I expect it to require the least work, and I need to have one operational by next spring. 

As work gets underway, I'll start a thread for each unit in the respective forums to show the progress. I've seen already the wealth of expertise the members here have, and suspect that I might come asking for insights as I dive into these projects. And, if all goes well, I hope to have the tough chore of explaining to my wife that three tractors are better than two, four better than three, and so on.

• Bolens 1000, OldBuzzard, Alc and 3 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 11:00 PM

Welcome to GTT. You have picted two nice machines. I am biased in favor of the Bolens as I have three Large Frames. Check out our Manuals Section( 3 free downloads per day).

The small tractors are often easier for small chores around the home. They can also be backup for the larger machine if there is a breakdown. Good Luck, Rick

#3 Eric OFFLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 1,002 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 11:22 PM

I agree with boyscout, the biased to bolens part as some of my favorite machines are badged this way. Looks like you will have your hands full this winter, any help you need I think you will find this forum will provide answers. Don't forget to have fun, this is a completely addictive hobby and can really consume your time. Good luck! Eric.

#4 OldBuzzard OFFLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,634 posts

Posted November 03, 2015 - 02:46 AM

:welcometogttalk:

You will find that there is a wealth of information here.

I know that you can find the manuals you need for the 1886, and that if you end up needing parts that they are pretty easy to find.

I'd suggest that you make your 'working posts' in each brand's sub-forum. That will get you be best, and fastest replies. to any questions.

As you can see in my sig, I'm pretty partial to Bolens myself :D :D :D

That 1886 is a pretty good find since there weren't all that many Bolens sold in your neck of the woods.

• Alc said thank you

#5 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted November 03, 2015 - 05:32 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! I have 2 GTV/16's. Capable machines. We have a manual for them, haven't seen a GTV/18 before.

#6 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,628 posts

Posted November 03, 2015 - 06:17 AM

Welcome to GTTalk , for some reason I can't open the link to see your  pictures , hope to be able to see them when your doing the other threads

#7 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,770 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted November 03, 2015 - 06:22 AM

Nice machines I have a gtv18 that is currently undergoing the world's slowest restore

#8 JDub OFFLINE  

JDub
  • Member No: 76385
  • 54 Thanks
  • 41 posts

Posted November 03, 2015 - 08:41 PM

Thanks all for the feedback. I agree with boyscout, Eric, and OldB--the Bolens has my favor, and I hope that my work will do the machine the justice it deserves. I downloaded and read the manuals for it, as well as the GTV16 manual the KennyV mentioned. 

OldB, I'll follow your lead and start working-posts in the sub-forum for the Craftsman within the next week or so (Bolens to follow after I finish the GTV). Alc, I hope to correct the picture problems there; not sure what's going wrong with the pics in this post.

#9 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,518 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted November 04, 2015 - 05:42 AM

It's best to upload the pics directly here. If I remember correctly on Photobucket, if you change the pic folders, it can break the link and the pics go away.

• UncleWillie said thank you

#10 Paulgo ONLINE  

Paulgo
  • Member No: 68759
  • 594 Thanks
  • 393 posts

Posted November 04, 2015 - 06:25 PM

First time posting, but I've been lurking for a few months. By way of an introduction, we recently moved onto an acreage with a couple acres of garden, a small pasture, and an orchard. We picked up a CUT with an FEL to do most of the heavy work. Though we had hoped that our modern lawn 'tractor' would be able to handle the light duty, we quickly learned of its inherent weakness. After a little bit of internet sleuthing, I found myself monitoring the classifieds in search of an older GT.

Unfortunately, I quickly learned that these machines are hard to find in my part of the country. Eventually, I got lucky and found not one, but two machines in the same week--a Craftsman GTV18, with a 44" deck and a snow thrower, and a Bolens 1886. I spent the next couple of days explaining to my wife the undeniable logic that two is better than one.

IMG_1322.jpg

IMG_1278.jpg

I now have two projects to occupy my time. The GTV has a fuel problem, which I think should be easy enough to fix. The 1886 has an electrical problem, which I hope to be simple, though I'm expecting a headache there. Both tractors are slated to be completely refurbished. I'm going to start with the GTV because I expect it to require the least work, and I need to have one operational by next spring. 

As work gets underway, I'll start a thread for each unit in the respective forums to show the progress. I've seen already the wealth of expertise the members here have, and suspect that I might come asking for insights as I dive into these projects. And, if all goes well, I hope to have the tough chore of explaining to my wife that three tractors are better than two, four better than three, and so on.

They are old and you simply must have "parts" tractors so you can keep a couple GT's going at all times... :)  Paul