• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Knimi OFFLINE  

Knimi
  • Member No: 77102
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 07:36 PM

I have a 1994 John Deere LX178, serial #MOL178A070022 with Kawasaki FD440V 15hp liquid cooled engine. It has an intermittent starting problem. Sometimes it starts and runs normal. Other times (like today) it will not start. Does not turn over, no dash lights come on, no starter click, it's completely dead. If I leave ignition on, and jumper from starter 12v power to solenoid terminal, engine turns over and started once for a few seconds (sounded real weak, maybe running on one cyl?). Battery voltage is at 12.5v. I checked for power at the 2 small coil terminals, they were both less than 5 volts. Any ideas where to begin diagnosing this? I really don't want to start throwing parts at it, they are not cheap.

Thank you

#2 Eric ONLINE  

Eric
  • Member No: 41778
  • 1,002 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 07:57 PM

I am not familiar with your specific mower but it sounds like you may have a short somewhere. You should run your wiring down connection to connection and look for frayed or burnt wiring before replacing anything, you can also start checking continuity. Have you by chance tried checking your ignition switch? Someone who may be familiar with your equipment should be along shortly!

#3 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,448 Thanks
  • 3,996 posts

Posted November 03, 2015 - 04:37 AM

Welcome to GTt. Here some answers, you can find at JD groundscare:

Attached File  237.pdf   44.06KB   43 downloads  Attached File  240.pdf   5.6KB   38 downloads  Attached File  241.pdf   5.86KB   32 downloads

#4 Knimi OFFLINE  

Knimi
  • Member No: 77102
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted November 04, 2015 - 01:14 PM

Thank you for the replies. The ignition switch is a fairly complicated looking unit, has a circuit board attached. Not sure how to test it. Any advice on testing the ignition switch?

Thank you