skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 04:57 AM

Looking to build a sleeve hitch and need the hitch part dims as I have the main parts just need the actual hitch specs . thanks
  • KennyP and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,441 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 05:02 AM

This for the Ford? Here's where I did a mod to mine.

• skyrydr2 said thank you

#3 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 06:46 AM

I have all but the sleeve mounting bits, just wondering if 1/2 plate will be too thick and mess up the location of the vertical 5/8 I'd tube?

#4 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 06:56 AM

Reason I'm playing with a sleeve hitch , is Ijust picked up a sleeve hitched Brinly bottom plow for cheap moneys and wanted to give it a try first. If it doesnt work good I'll convert it to 3 point.
I have a question for all the guys that have tried, or are presently plowing with a double bottom garden tractor plow, does it pull easier or not? Some of my old tractor manuals say it can pull up to 66% easier?? Hummm really?
  • propane1 and chieffan have said thanks

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,441 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 07:09 AM

What I have seen with sleeve hitches, I have plenty of room to put the pin in. A plow really swings back and forth a bunch, so I would think the 1/2" wouldn't cause too much issues. Mock it up in the hitch!

I have an extra 10" sleeve hitch plow I am going to convert to 3-point when I get some more heavy strap. I don't think my machines have the oomph to pull a 2 bottom in Okla. soils!

• chieffan said thank you

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,441 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 07:21 AM

I have been working on a drawing for a 3-point plow beam, just haven't finished it as yet!

#7 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 07:32 AM

What I have seen with sleeve hitches, I have plenty of room to put the pin in. A plow really swings back and forth a bunch, so I would think the 1/2" wouldn't cause too much issues. Mock it up in the hitch!

I have an extra 10" sleeve hitch plow I am going to convert to 3-point when I get some more heavy strap. I don't think my machines have the oomph to pull a 2 bottom in Okla. soils!

When I changed my plow and sleeve hitch from a 1053 to a G12 I ran into the swinging problem too.  I put a 3/8" X 3" - 6" long plate between the plow hitch and the sleeve hitch and tightened the bolts down.  All my plowing was in a straight line so didn't worry about any side swing.  Problem I ran into was I could not cut a full width of the plow.  Had the plow mounted the far right hand hole but still only cut about  5" or 6" wide.  Cannot figure out how to move it over further and still pull straight.  I think I may have to build a special sleeve hitch just for the Brinly plow.

• KennyP said thank you

#8 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 08:26 AM

Chief, how wide is your rear wheel base? Might be as easy as widening the axles or swapping the wheels offset?
  • propane1 and chieffan have said thanks

#9 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,147 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 02:13 PM

Chief, how wide is your rear wheel base? Might be as easy as widening the axles or swapping the wheels offset?

I swapped the Ag tires full of fluid off the 1053 to the G12.  Never measured but figured they were the same as the transaxle is the same.  The front tires run right next to the virgin ground, same as the inside of the rear tires.  I sold the 1053 so cannot do any comparison.  Will check on switching sides with the wheels once.  They are a real pain to handle being filled with washer fluid.  Thanks for the info.

Edited by chieffan, November 02, 2015 - 02:14 PM.

#10 PaulL OFFLINE  

PaulL
  • Member No: 49081
  • 111 Thanks
  • 68 posts

Posted November 03, 2015 - 02:06 AM

On the Brinly single bottom plow what is the inside height of the C part of the hitch that slides over the tractor hitch and gets pinned?

#11 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted November 03, 2015 - 04:00 AM

I think it's supposed to be 3.5" . I measured mine last night and that was what I came up with.

#12 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted November 04, 2015 - 04:26 PM

Well I got it figured out and whipped one out so I could try out my newly acquired plow, it works AWSOME, I'll post a video later for you folks.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1446672348789.jpg

Edited by skyrydr2, November 04, 2015 - 05:29 PM.

• DH1, KennyP and CanadianHobbyFarmer have said thanks

#13 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,441 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted November 04, 2015 - 06:42 PM

That looks like so much fun! Glad it's working for you!

• skyrydr2 said thank you

#14 skyrydr2 ONLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,409 Thanks
  • 3,159 posts

Posted November 28, 2015 - 10:58 AM

I plowed up the rest of my little garden at home yesterday and I am extremely pleased at how incredibly AWSOME that sleeve plow works behind my LGT125 !! It pulls beautifully and kicks up easy when snagging stone, I just back up and roll the nugget up to the surface. I want to find another one now to build a 2 bottom unit and see how that will do?

#15 gopher OFFLINE  

gopher

• Member No: 2755
  • 566 Thanks
  • 630 posts

Posted November 28, 2015 - 02:05 PM

When I changed my plow and sleeve hitch from a 1053 to a G12 I ran into the swinging problem too.  I put a 3/8" X 3" - 6" long plate between the plow hitch and the sleeve hitch and tightened the bolts down.  All my plowing was in a straight line so didn't worry about any side swing.  Problem I ran into was I could not cut a full width of the plow.  Had the plow mounted the far right hand hole but still only cut about  5" or 6" wide.  Cannot figure out how to move it over further and still pull straight.  I think I may have to build a special sleeve hitch just for the Brinly plow.

You can go to Brinly site for how to adjust the furrow width cut that might get you closer to where you want.