28 replies to this topic

#1 ckjakline ONLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6073
  • 1,081 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted November 01, 2015 - 09:39 PM

I recently bought another truck.It is a 1990 chevy 1500..This truck is not  the factory ride height.It has a superlift 5 1/2" suspension lift,and sits on 35" tires.I haven't seen this year truck as clean as this one in a long time.The rockers and cab corners have no rust.Which is very odd for these trucks.It needed a little work to get it on the road which i just finished putting it back together this afternoon.The transmission was shot when i got it.I picked one up at a local junkyard 2 weekends ago.While i had the transmission out i replaced the oil pan gasket and rear main seal.They were leaking.While putting everything back together i found a few issues to take care of while i was working on it.The one wiring harness was laying against the header and melted the wires. I patched them up and ran the wiring differently then zip tied it in place.Two of the spark plug wires were also laying on the header and melted through.I replaced the plug wires today.The front driveshaft still needs fixed.I don't think they put the correct u-joint in it when it was replaced last.It has a lot of side to side play when it's fastened.I also found today that the 4 wheel drive  isn't engaging.Without looking at it i'm thinking it's the accuator.Thats still on the to-do list.The plan is to paint the truck when i'm off work between christmas and new years.We'll see how that pans out.

The first 2 pictures are when i got it

IMG_0803.jpg IMG_0804.jpg IMG_0807.jpg IMG_0808.jpg

Replacement transmission

IMG_0809.jpg

These 2 pictures i took today after i switched the grill and turn signal lenses

IMG_0833.jpg IMG_0834.jpg

Next on the list is to swap the hood,bumper,and bull bar with the ones on my old truck.The hood on my old truck is a all steel 2 1/2 rise cowl induction.For what i'll get for my old truck i'm not letting that go along.The bumper is an aftermarket billet style bumper that matches the grill i put on.

Edited by ckjakline, November 01, 2015 - 09:44 PM.

• Gtractor, MH81, Alc and 9 others have said thanks

#2 LilysDad OFFLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,688 Thanks
  • 7,694 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 07:37 AM

Nice!!!         In the next to last photo . . .               what is that animal with the pink leash???

#3 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,168 Thanks
  • 4,512 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 07:40 AM

I stay clear away form any truck that has or had a lift kit on it.  That usually means some kid had it and really used and abused the heck out of it.  You have already found bad transmission, u-joint(s), wiring, 4 X 4 not engaging,  plus who know how many more things will show up.  I would check the back of the cab and over the fenders with a magnet.  Could have a gallon or more of bondo put on and covered with paint.  Been done a thousand times over.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 07:47 AM

Truck looks to be in nice shape.
I would be removing the lift... Trucks are too tall sometimes for me as it is.
  • ckjakline said thank you

#5 ckjakline ONLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• 1,081 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 03:08 PM

I stay clear away form any truck that has or had a lift kit on it.  That usually means some kid had it and really used and abused the heck out of it.  You have already found bad transmission, u-joint(s), wiring, 4 X 4 not engaging,  plus who know how many more things will show up.  I would check the back of the cab and over the fenders with a magnet.  Could have a gallon or more of bondo put on and covered with paint.  Been done a thousand times over.

I'm not worried about the lift.I did check it out real well and it is rust free.I was actually surprised to see the condition of the frame.I'm used to trucks that were abused.My previous truck was a plow truck for a municipality.the u joints aren't really an abuse thing they put the wrong one in.Wiring,i've made mistakes on how i ran wiring before it could happen to anybody.As far as the 4x4 not working parts go bad especially electronic.I've done several accuaters before,thats the most common issue with the 4x4 not working on chevy trucks,and thats not necessarily from abuse.

#6 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,777 Thanks
  • 7,706 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 03:08 PM

I like. You can't beat an old Chevy.

• ckjakline and Marty'70 have said thanks

#7 ckjakline ONLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• 1,081 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 03:10 PM

Nice!!!         In the next to last photo . . .               what is that animal with the pink leash???

That is my wifes peek-a-poo.(pekinese poodle mix)

#8 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,646 Thanks
  • 1,060 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 03:30 PM

Check the switch on the transfer case , those have been know to go bad and their only about $20 also check the ground wire on the accuater.

#9 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 938 Thanks
  • 686 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 04:07 PM

Nice ride, congrats!

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 04:59 PM

That is my wifes peek-a-poo.(pekinese poodle mix)

I thought it was a swiffer-dust mop hybrid.
  • KennyP and LilysDad have said thanks

#11 Marty'70 ONLINE  

Marty'70

I didn't do it! Unless you have paperwork to back it up

• Member No: 72105
  • 731 Thanks
  • 633 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 06:42 PM

I like. You can't beat an old Chevy.

You can with a stick, baseball bat or whatever is handy.. Nice ride tho! If you found a 90s truck in PA and its rust free, you better play the lottery!
  • ckjakline and Little Irish Men have said thanks

#12 ckjakline ONLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• 1,081 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 06:50 PM

I thought it was a swiffer-dust mop hybrid.

you can add  p.i.a. ankle biter to that also.

• MH81, KennyP and Bill 76 have said thanks

#13 adamjd200 OFFLINE  

adamjd200
  • Member No: 39654
  • 1,410 Thanks
  • 1,545 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 11:46 PM

You can with a stick, baseball bat or whatever is handy.. Nice ride tho! If you found a 90s truck in PA and its rust free, you better play the lottery!

There's a lot of them in southern PA, my truck spent its previous life around Rome, PA/Nicols, NY area, and has some rust but not as bad as some upstate, NY trucks I looked at prior to buying it.

#14 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted November 03, 2015 - 09:40 AM

nice looking truck for a 90. You can expect thing to be wrong, it's only 25 years old LOL.

I am parting my dad's old 93 right now, every panel has rust of fist sized holes or bigger.

The transfer case should be manual engagement, I am betting it's the axle actuator. Hopefully the one from your other truck will fix it.

As far as the lift, nowadays, there are tons of lifted trucks on the road, none of them every leave the pavement, just for show.

I think it looks sweet like that. :smilewink:  :D

• UncleWillie said thank you

#15 ckjakline ONLINE  

ckjakline

Tractorholic

• 1,081 Thanks
  • 1,094 posts

Posted November 03, 2015 - 05:53 PM

nice looking truck for a 90. You can expect thing to be wrong, it's only 25 years old LOL.

I am parting my dad's old 93 right now, every panel has rust of fist sized holes or bigger.

The transfer case should be manual engagement, I am betting it's the axle actuator. Hopefully the one from your other truck will fix it.

As far as the lift, nowadays, there are tons of lifted trucks on the road, none of them every leave the pavement, just for show.

I think it looks sweet like that. :smilewink:  :D

oh you better believe this truck will be leaving the pavement.I'll be using it in the woods and fields at my grandparents farm.Over the winter we work in the woods cleaning up down and dead trees so we can fence it in for pasture.It gets very muddy when the ground gets tore up,and 4x4 is definitely need.

Yes the transfer case is manually engaged.I'll be swapping the actuators.That should take care of it.I hope.

• Alc said thank you