• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 MichaelBeck OFFLINE  

MichaelBeck
  • Member No: 69804
  • 89 Thanks
  • 111 posts

Posted November 01, 2015 - 08:57 PM

Is it necessary to remove the gears and shafts on a 3 speed to renew the oil seal on the input shaft?

The Tube Frame manual implies i do not - It is installed post shaft but what about removal?

On the same line - Removing the transaxle - Aside from unbolting it from the actual tubes, It just requires the bolts removed from the coupling on the input shaft to be free?

Edited by MichaelBeck, November 01, 2015 - 09:13 PM.

#2 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted November 01, 2015 - 11:21 PM

You will have to lossen up most of the bolts and nuts along the tube to get them to spread far enough to slide out the transaxle,as far as the seal you can remove it and put a new one in without removing the gears,I may have that seal if you need one,pm me
  • MichaelBeck said thank you

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,699 Thanks
  • 17,207 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 08:20 AM

If your talking about the oil seal that is on the drivehshaft you should be able to remove the seal without taking out the shaft.

To get the old one out I usually drill a small pilot hole in the seal body then insert a couple small screws to give you something to pull with, normally they will either come right out with some effort or they will rip apart and you'll just have to clean out the remaining bits.

When re-installing the new seal put a good amount of grease on the seal and shaft which will help you get the seal on without damage to the seal lip.

The only way to remove the trans is taking off / loosening the cast iron mounting caps on each side of the tubes, its easier just to take them all off then trying to slide the trans off with them on.

#4 blackjackjakexxix ONLINE  

blackjackjakexxix

Blackjackjakexxix

• Sponsor
  • Member No: 2194
  • 2,356 Thanks
  • 1,763 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 09:43 AM

Guess I should have stated it a little better,yes you do need to remove the cast mounting caps,BUT you will need to lossen the other bolts going down the tubes,I have disassembled 100's of the tube frames,RARELY will the trans slide out with not doing that,good luck with your project