• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 J.T.M. OFFLINE  

J.T.M.
  • Member No: 76841
  • 6 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted November 01, 2015 - 04:47 PM

Happy Sunday to everyone .Its a beautiful day ( maybe one of the last ones of the year  ) and I should be out side playing on my tractor , but I can't .... I broke it :(

Maybe someone here can walk me thro. a   diagnosis .  it has a FEL but Im not sure who made it . The controller has " gresen 2702 " stamped on it . THe only thing I can make out on the pump  is " M9 - " 

The issue is ,  the bucket will not lift  unless I  squeeze the return line - and even then its real jerky  . It does not sink down , it will hold its postion for days without dropping . Can anyone help point this noob in the right direction please.

Thank you 

J.T.M.

304.JPG

• Traill95, boyscout862 and Marty'70 have said thanks

#2 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,715 Thanks
  • 4,274 posts

Posted November 01, 2015 - 04:53 PM

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure one of the Bolens guys will be along to help. Have you checked the fluid level?

• Marty'70 said thank you

#3 J.T.M. OFFLINE  

J.T.M.
  • 6 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted November 01, 2015 - 04:57 PM

Thanks for the reply and the welcome Doug .... Yes first thing I checked . With me , not being much of a mechanic , You would not believe how badly I wanted that to be the issue .But no , it was full :( 

#4 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,584 Thanks
  • 3,900 posts

Posted November 01, 2015 - 07:09 PM

I'm not much on hydraulic issues but it sounds like the fluid is not being diverted to the lift cylinders when the lever is pulled.  Its just bypassing back to the reservoir.    ???

• J.T.M. said thank you

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,750 Thanks
  • 7,522 posts

Posted November 01, 2015 - 07:11 PM

Welcome to GTT. That is a fine machine you have. I would guess that your control valve has worn out or ripped an o ring or the safety( pressure by pass) is stuck open. Check our Manuals Section for 3 free downloads per day. I will look too. Good Luck, Rick

Try this manual:  http://gardentractor...-owners-manual/   it has hydraulic diagrams that are fairly universal.

Edited by boyscout862, November 01, 2015 - 07:26 PM.

• HDWildBill, Paulgo and J.T.M. have said thanks

#6 J.T.M. OFFLINE  

J.T.M.
  • 6 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted November 01, 2015 - 07:26 PM

After doing a search I have  come to the conclusion that the fel is a Johnson model 10 . 

I'm not much on hydraulic issues but it sounds like the fluid is not being diverted to the lift cylinders when the lever is pulled.  Its just bypassing back to the reservoir.    ???

Its not even making it back to the reservoir ( unless I pinch off the line ) . 

Welcome to GTT. That is a fine machine you have. I would guess that your control valve has worn out or ripped an o ring or the safety( pressure by pass) is stuck open. Check our Manuals Section for 3 free downloads per day. I will look too. Good Luck, Rick

I hope that your right and it truns out to be  a fine machine .I only got to drive it about 30 mins. after buying it ( i'm certain I way over paid )  and getting it home before it broke . Wife is giving me that stink eye look ... :( 

• boyscout862 said thank you

#7 J.T.M. OFFLINE  

J.T.M.
  • 6 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted November 01, 2015 - 07:27 PM

I wonder .. is the controll valve  - gresen 2702 - an easy rebuild ? 

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,750 Thanks
  • 7,522 posts

Posted November 01, 2015 - 07:30 PM

After doing a search I have  come to the conclusion that the fel is a Johnson model 10 . 

Its not even making it back to the reservoir ( unless I pinch off the line ) . 

I hope that your right and it truns out to be  a fine machine .I only got to drive it about 30 mins. after buying it ( i'm certain I way over paid )  and getting it home before it broke . Wife is giving me that stink eye look ... :(

We've all been there. Look at my revised post before and I will find what I can on the Johnson 10. You have one of the great Large Frame Bolens I have 3 and they are my favorite out of 85 tractors. As you can, download all for the pertainent manuals. Good Luck, Rick

Here is for Johnson 10  http://gardentractor...s-800-900-1000/

The valve should be a simple rebuild or replacement from Burdens Surplus Center.

Edited by boyscout862, November 01, 2015 - 07:36 PM.

#9 J.T.M. OFFLINE  

J.T.M.
  • 6 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted November 01, 2015 - 07:42 PM

Awesome Rick thanks for the link .Im reading about 
checking  relief  valve right now

~   thumbs up ~ 

• boyscout862 said thank you

#10 J.T.M. OFFLINE  

J.T.M.
  • 6 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted November 01, 2015 - 08:25 PM

Ok , if I am understanding the manual correctly , I need one of these http://www.northernt...ydraulic-gauges

and I need to run it on the line that runs from the controller to the pump ... sound right ? 

#11 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,445 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 06:34 AM

Welcome to GTTalk !   You said the bucket won't lift , does the bucket tilt correctly ? If so and if there's enough slack in the hoses you could try swapping the lines between to bucket tilt and loader arms at the control valve  . That might give you some clues

• J.T.M. said thank you

#12 J.T.M. OFFLINE  

J.T.M.
  • 6 Thanks
  • 16 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 07:14 AM

Greetings Alc . and good morning .

Neither the bucket tilt or the boom raising will work correctly . Im off to work and  would like to thank all for their input  . 

• Alc said thank you

#13 Bud W OFFLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 228 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 10:26 AM

My friend has a Johnson 10 on a 1476 and he had trouble with the pump suction line collapsing that caused a similar problem. He put a piece of flexible conduit in it and it was fixed.

• boyscout862 and Paulgo have said thanks