#16 EricFromPa ONLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,308 Thanks
  • 2,340 posts

Posted November 01, 2015 - 07:17 PM

Them big Maple trees have to many leaves.Neighbor is to lazy to rake them up.1st couple of good wind gusts and they are all in my yard.Should fire up the leaf blower and blow them back over there. :rolling:

I usually blow them into the garden and mulch them up real fine.They are completely gone by the time the snow melts but it takes a long time to mulch them up into 1/4" or smaller pieces.

#17 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted November 01, 2015 - 08:06 PM

I agree on the Gator Blades. Didn't have them last year. They also lift into the bagger much better than the JD blades made for bagging.

#18 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,581 Thanks
  • 3,961 posts

Posted November 01, 2015 - 08:16 PM

Its fun the first afternoon. Then it's just another chore to be done. This year we will be doing it different. We got a shredder, so now my son can rake and then shred. Planning to let him do most of it.

#19 MFDAC ONLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,037 Thanks
  • 1,128 posts

Posted November 01, 2015 - 09:16 PM

The wind harvests my leaves and what's left snow compacts and crumbles up. If there's any left next spring they get mowed!

Actually, I'm too lazy to mess with them and they drive my allergies crazy!

DAC

#20 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 01, 2015 - 10:02 PM

[quote name="dodge trucker" post="620549" timestamp="1446412753

when will someone come up with a machine that actually does save time in keeping up with leaves??
either.[/quoth

I think someone already has? I am hoping member David Brown will post pictures of how well his cyclone rake does!

#21 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,442 Thanks
  • 953 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 04:03 AM

I cut all my trees down. No more leaf/limb problems

Don't let any trees grow near your house that could damage house or any other building if wind takes down tree.  It just makes sense... 

#22 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,165 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 04:47 AM

This week is going to be nice and warm so I will mow the lawn short and let the wind blow them all in to the neighbors yard (evil laugh insered here) as the prevailing winds do all the raking for me.

Edited by skyrydr2, November 02, 2015 - 04:49 AM.

#23 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,319 Thanks
  • 4,666 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 06:07 AM

I always wait till I have a good amount on the ground and get the grand kids and neighborhood chillin's over for a good leaf-pile-up!  They have a ball!I  After that I'll mow around the stack to make it bigger and bigger till the cold weather starts then they ride the tarp down to the mulch pile..  I have a bunch of Maple trees so there's no shortage of leaves every year!

• Alc said thank you

#24 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,083 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 10:12 AM

Don't let any trees grow near your house that could damage house or any other building if wind takes down tree.  It just makes sense... 

After a large limb blew down 2 winters ago and tore my gutter and cracked a piece of sheeting on my garage, I had enough of trees.

#25 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,219 Thanks
  • 2,316 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 10:33 AM

[quote name="dodge trucker" post="620549" timestamp="1446412753

when will someone come up with a machine that actually does save time in keeping up with leaves??
either.[/quoth

I think someone already has? I am hoping member David Brown will post pictures of how well his cyclone rake does!

Well I don't have ay pictures but leaf season isn't completely over just yet.  A bulk of them are done though so there won't be any hard core pics.  Perhaps in the back yard since it borders the woods.  I can tell you that this thing is awesome.  I used to have to stop and unclog the hose every now and then but not anymore.  Not one clog this year.  There is a learning curve in using this thing though.  I've had it hung up a couple of times just not remembering that it doesn't trail like a trailer.  Had to unhook it once to get out of the situation.  Did some damage to the new garage in failing to remember the same thing.  All in all, it's a great machine and I wouldn't want to do without it.  The brain I would like to trade in.  One more time and I can fold everything up for the year.  That's what's really nice.

• JD DANNELS and oldedeeres have said thanks

#26 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 12:15 PM

have a trac vac, tired of unclogging it, and the way my yard is laid out I really cannot maneuver it very well...

I have the trac vac on CL as we speak, I think I'd rather have the space it takes the other 3 seasons, instead.

Check out a Cyclone Rake. They use a larger hose (7, 8, or 10" depending on model) so no clogs and they break down to fold fairly flat so not as many storage headaches. Also, they use a rigid two point hitch so manuevering them into tight spaces is as easy as pulling in and simply backing right out, no need to have space to turn around. They're available with long pickup hoses for use in flower beds and such where you can't get to with your mower.

I upgraded to a Z-10 this year when I got an incredible CL deal. Zero clogs but then I never had with my old 7" hose model either. I was going to take before and after pictures on Saturday but figured no one would be interested. It picks up just about everything.

Edited by Canawler, November 02, 2015 - 12:17 PM.

• JD DANNELS said thank you

#27 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,880 Thanks
  • 3,203 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 12:52 PM

I mow mine several times to help build up the lawn soil, and go to town and cart home all the bags of raked leaves I can beg from friends (and total strangers) when I see the bags lined up for garbage pick up. They go directly to the gardens for mulch.

#28 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 08:57 PM

I mow mine several times to help build up the lawn soil, and go to town and cart home all the bags of raked leaves I can beg from friends (and total strangers) when I see the bags lined up for garbage pick up. They go directly to the gardens for mulch.

Yeah I notice most town landfills now have compost piles. I have wondered when they would put in an ordinance, preventing people from poaching their leaves? When I had the lawn care business, I would haul the leaves off every lawn I did home for my garden.

Edited by JD DANNELS, November 02, 2015 - 08:58 PM.

• Alc and oldedeeres have said thanks

#29 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,504 Thanks
  • 4,955 posts

Posted November 03, 2015 - 09:43 AM

I spent a few hours yesterday "harvesting" the back yard, those big oaks drop a ton of leaves along with the locust dropping those little ones a few weeks ago. I use the Sears to windrow them over to the fence. I leave mine piled up on the fence. As the breakdown, I get almost no vegetation growing up the fence the next year. I used to get tons of poison ivy on the fence line. I rakes the gravel drive Saturday, still have the front yard and probably go over the back yard again once the oaks finish and other trees drop.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#30 Jazz ONLINE  

Jazz
  • Member No: 62028
  • 1,442 Thanks
  • 953 posts

Posted November 04, 2015 - 01:06 PM

I lived in a neighbourhood built late 50's many years ago in London On where we all had huge oaks  in the fenced rear yard...NO choice but to rake 'em up or they would still be lying there a foot deep the following spring.  . Now when they build a neighbourhood as they are doing in my area they knock down every tree and sapling in the whole subdivision,,,

Raking leaves was fun.....if you are 8 :smilewink:

Edited by Jazz, November 04, 2015 - 01:07 PM.