Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Bush Hog D4-10 is home and I had a chance to work on it.

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted April 17, 2011 - 08:55 PM

Very nice Bush hog George, I am hoping to make it to the other plow day and hope to see it and meet you all in person.:thumbs: Shawn

#17 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted April 18, 2011 - 04:37 AM

That is a nice tractor George.

#18 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 19, 2011 - 10:28 AM

Thanks for the comments guys.

The Bush Hog D4-10 is going to be sporting tri-ribs on the front now. I took both of the front wheels to the tire shop. I was mainly concerned with the one on the right side because it would loose it's air in about 2 hours. I was going to just have a tube put in it because overall the tire was in good shape other then the sidewall had some cracks in it from sitting while it was flat.

The guy dismounted the tire and here the liner on the inside of pulling apart and he didn't want to put a tube in it on account of putting a whole in the tube in short time. So I wold him I would really like to put tri ribs on it and he said I would need a narrower rim which I expected. He can get the new rims for $15 a piece and they are white and I will paint them yellow. The tri-ribs are $39 a piece. I also got a quote from him for the Carlisle Tru-Powers and he said they would be $109 a piece mounted. Not too bad and I would love to have a second set of ags rather then swapping the one set I have for plow days LOL.

#19 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted April 19, 2011 - 03:50 PM

...He can get the new rims for $15 a piece and they are white...

What are the dimensions (what tire size) of these $15 rims? What size (I.D.) are the axle hubs and what length? I'd like to get a set of those myself. That's a great price! I recently picked up a set of the 4.5 X 8" used, but they were for someone else and I haven't found another set yet. The wide tires on the front of the 314 are too cumbersome in the furrow and don't really steer the tractor all that well while plowing. I have a set of tri-ribs for it (came with the other wheels), just need the wheels.

#20 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 19, 2011 - 04:30 PM

What are the dimensions (what tire size) of these $15 rims? What size (I.D.) are the axle hubs and what length? I'd like to get a set of those myself. That's a great price! I recently picked up a set of the 4.5 X 8" used, but they were for someone else and I haven't found another set yet. The wide tires on the front of the 314 are too cumbersome in the furrow and don't really steer the tractor all that well while plowing. I have a set of tri-ribs for it (came with the other wheels), just need the wheels.

The front wheels on the Bush Hog are different, I don't know what all brands use the same type of setup. The wheel and hub are separate and the wheel bolts on to the hub kind of like the rear wheels do. I will get some pictures and measurements once I have them.

#21 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,686 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted April 19, 2011 - 05:03 PM

The front wheels on the Bush Hog are different, I don't know what all brands use the same type of setup. The wheel and hub are separate and the wheel bolts on to the hub kind of like the rear wheels do. I will get some pictures and measurements once I have them.

Bolens used this same setup as optional equipment for when you put a FEL on them.
I never seen them in person but it shows in the brochures this wheel setup.

#22 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 19, 2011 - 05:11 PM

I was just out in the garage for a little bit and pulled the seat, toolbox, and shifter cover off so I could check the gears in the tranny and also gain access to the dipstick for the gear oil. There is definitely water in the tranny, it is a nice rusty colored oil. Going to drain it and flush with diesel a couple times. Pulled the gear shifter off and the gears look good, only wear is a little bit on the backside of the selector gear, I am guessing the wear is from being in first and taking it out of gear. The detents work great. I will try and get some pics of the tranny gears. I know one thing though, this thing is built like a tank, I guess it was obvious though when we had to roll it around with how heavy it was.

#23 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 19, 2011 - 05:25 PM

Alright, went out and snapped a couple pics of the inside of the transmission and of the front wheels.

I think a little diesel flushing will clean the transmission out pretty good. When it comes time to restore it I will tear the transmission completely down and replace all the seals and make sure nothing else needs replaced.

After seeing what kind of shape the gears are in I think I will definitely plow with it. If it happens to pop out of gear at all while plowing that will be the last time I plow with it as I don't want to mess it up since parts are not available for it.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0001.jpg
  • DSC_0008.jpg
  • DSC_0004.jpg
  • DSC_0003.jpg
  • DSC_0005.jpg
  • DSC_0007.jpg
  • DSC_0006.jpg
  • DSC_0002.jpg

#24 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted April 19, 2011 - 05:29 PM

Your sliding cluster gear looks great! Most not in that good a condition. But like ya said, that oil is polluted but good! All in all, very nice!

#25 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted April 19, 2011 - 06:18 PM

Thanks for the pics George. I guess that I won't be able to use the same fronts. Oh well. You're right about it being built like a tank though! I see that the oil is nasty, but the bearing surfaces of he gears look great from what I can see in the pics. A good flush and refill should make all the difference!

#26 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted April 19, 2011 - 06:43 PM

George, your oil looks like brand new stuff compared to what was inside the D4-10 I'm restoring! I couldn't trust flushing, so I took everything down (but left trans gears in) to get it cleaned up. I was expecting bad bearings, but all were in good order.

#27 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted April 24, 2011 - 09:24 PM

This weekend was a busy weekend. We had PA Plow Day and as most know I bought a Bush Hog D4-10 that was on ebay which is covered in another thread. GTtalk member broken2 brought the Bush Hog and Massey MF12H down to the Plow Day which is the only reason I was able to get them. I want to send a special thanks to Dan for making the trip down with his dad and bringing the tractors down for me.

The first time I saw this thread I was in a hurry but was excited to see the BH running so I went rite to the video and pics. Finally read it tonight to see what you had to do to get it running. I noticed the thanks and wanted to say that you are very welcome. The truth is that if it wasn't for this site, your coverage and the posts about last years PA plow day, we would never have made the trip down there in the first place. My dad and I had a great time that we will never forget and are looking forward to seeing you at next years event. It was nice to know that you and your wife were taking pictures and video so that I could just plow and have fun, left my camera in the truck.LOL My father actually called me from the mechanics office at his job so I could tell him how to get on this site and find the pictures you posted. He wanted to show his work friends. Just wanted to say thank you for all the time and hard work you put into this site and I'm glad I could do a little something for you.

#28 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted May 04, 2011 - 07:52 PM

wow that thing is pretty darn cool.

#29 Guest_jdecker94_*

Guest_jdecker94_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted May 04, 2011 - 08:30 PM

nutndun, dont take thing the wrong way, but doesnt the fluid in your read end look, rusty? ive never had a gear tranny but i know on my hydro trannies its supposed to be cherry red.

#30 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,639 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted May 04, 2011 - 08:35 PM

nutndun, dont take thing the wrong way, but doesnt the fluid in your read end look, rusty? ive never had a gear tranny but i know on my hydro trannies its supposed to be cherry red.

He drained & flushed the rusty oil out. Your hydro uses an ATF type fluid, where this gear trans uses 80/90 gear oil...usually a golden color, sometimes greenish tint.