We got the Bush Hog unloaded at the Plow Day and I pushed it over to the show line so it could feel like it was part of the show LOL. We got everything loaded up and had a lot of storms last night so I didn't get the garden tractors unloaded until today. One of my objectives for the day was to see if I could get the Bush Hog running.
First thing I did was unbolted the carb from the engine. Pulled the low needle adjustment out, pulled the high speed adjustment out as well as the jet. Cleaned everything up real good. I didn't want to split the Bendix carb halves due to the gasket looking pretty dry and not having a new one to replace it. So I blew the carb out with the air compressor the best I could. I have never seen so much dust come out of a carb.
I forgot to take pics of the air filter that was in it. I have never seen an air filter so rusted before either LOL. Anyway I got the carb back together, ran new fuel line and put on a fuel filter. Also blew the gas tank out which was dry as a bone and was really nice on the inside other then some dust and almost like pine needles. Got the missing tank strap put back on also. Had to replace the batter and borrowed the one out of my Cub 122. Attempted to start her up and she fired off for a couple seconds and then shut off. I adjusted the needles a littler richer and tried starting it again and it wouldn't even turn over.
So I pulled the gas tank back out, the wiring on this thing was a mess. So I basically ripped out all of the wiring and rewired it. I still need to get new 6 gauge battery cables for it which I will get next weekend. After I got the wiring done it was time to trouble shoot what the problem was. It ended up being the starter solenoid. Got a new one at Advance Auto Parts and put it in. I had the positive side of the battery cable hooked up from testing wires and forgot to pull it off before putting the gas tank back in place.
Had the scare of a life time because the way the tank straps wrap around the tank and the one bar I got the tank all but in place and sparks started flying from the tank touching the ammeter. Scared the heebie jeebies out of me and I yanked the tank out quick. I bent the one strap a little bit which was better then getting blown up. Got the strap straightened out and positive side of batter disconnected. Tank put back in place and everything else hooked up. She fired off instantly, took about 3 or 4 minutes to get her tuned up. I did a little more tuning after the video was shot, in the video she is idling a little high and now it just purrs.
I need to clean 'er up with the pressure washer and that is how the Bush Hog will live for a while. It is in great original condition and it would be nice to keep it in it's work clothes for a while.
I went out and snapped some extra pics and one of the air filter before I submitted the post. I also forgot my wife ran out and snapped some pics of me driving the Bush Hog D4-10 around after I got it running.
Here is the video: