Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Bush Hog D4-10 is home and I had a chance to work on it.

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 17, 2011 - 05:40 PM

This weekend was a busy weekend. We had PA Plow Day and as most know I bought a Bush Hog D4-10 that was on ebay which is covered in another thread. GTtalk member broken2 brought the Bush Hog and Massey MF12H down to the Plow Day which is the only reason I was able to get them. I want to send a special thanks to Dan for making the trip down with his dad and bringing the tractors down for me.

We got the Bush Hog unloaded at the Plow Day and I pushed it over to the show line so it could feel like it was part of the show LOL. We got everything loaded up and had a lot of storms last night so I didn't get the garden tractors unloaded until today. One of my objectives for the day was to see if I could get the Bush Hog running.

First thing I did was unbolted the carb from the engine. Pulled the low needle adjustment out, pulled the high speed adjustment out as well as the jet. Cleaned everything up real good. I didn't want to split the Bendix carb halves due to the gasket looking pretty dry and not having a new one to replace it. So I blew the carb out with the air compressor the best I could. I have never seen so much dust come out of a carb.

I forgot to take pics of the air filter that was in it. I have never seen an air filter so rusted before either LOL. Anyway I got the carb back together, ran new fuel line and put on a fuel filter. Also blew the gas tank out which was dry as a bone and was really nice on the inside other then some dust and almost like pine needles. Got the missing tank strap put back on also. Had to replace the batter and borrowed the one out of my Cub 122. Attempted to start her up and she fired off for a couple seconds and then shut off. I adjusted the needles a littler richer and tried starting it again and it wouldn't even turn over.

So I pulled the gas tank back out, the wiring on this thing was a mess. So I basically ripped out all of the wiring and rewired it. I still need to get new 6 gauge battery cables for it which I will get next weekend. After I got the wiring done it was time to trouble shoot what the problem was. It ended up being the starter solenoid. Got a new one at Advance Auto Parts and put it in. I had the positive side of the battery cable hooked up from testing wires and forgot to pull it off before putting the gas tank back in place.

Had the scare of a life time because the way the tank straps wrap around the tank and the one bar I got the tank all but in place and sparks started flying from the tank touching the ammeter. Scared the heebie jeebies out of me and I yanked the tank out quick. I bent the one strap a little bit which was better then getting blown up. Got the strap straightened out and positive side of batter disconnected. Tank put back in place and everything else hooked up. She fired off instantly, took about 3 or 4 minutes to get her tuned up. I did a little more tuning after the video was shot, in the video she is idling a little high and now it just purrs.

I need to clean 'er up with the pressure washer and that is how the Bush Hog will live for a while. It is in great original condition and it would be nice to keep it in it's work clothes for a while.

I went out and snapped some extra pics and one of the air filter before I submitted the post. I also forgot my wife ran out and snapped some pics of me driving the Bush Hog D4-10 around after I got it running.

Here is the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSUXdrjz5rI

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_0015.jpg
  • DSC_0005.jpg
  • DSC_0011.jpg
  • DSC_0004.jpg
  • DSC_0006.jpg
  • DSC_0012.jpg
  • DSC_0003.jpg
  • DSC_0013.jpg
  • DSC_0014.jpg

• LPBolens and tractorgarden have said thanks

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts

Posted April 17, 2011 - 05:51 PM

That wisconsin sounds Great
Looks like you got a great tractor there.
That air filter goes in the top 5 worst I have ever seen LOL

#3 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 3,860 posts

Posted April 17, 2011 - 06:04 PM

That is one nice Tractor George.
You did good.

#4 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted April 17, 2011 - 06:15 PM

That's great George! Glad you got it worked out! Sounds great, looks great...it looks a lot easier to move around like that too LOL!

#5 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted April 17, 2011 - 06:28 PM

Nice looking original machine George, that one is a keeper.:thumbs:

#6 massey driver ONLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,072 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted April 17, 2011 - 06:55 PM

Nice looking tractor George,its nice to get one up and running without having to do too much to it.It's funny how sparks flying around the gas tank can give you the willies L.O.L. Larry

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted April 17, 2011 - 07:27 PM

That's one nice original D4-10. I can't get over how nice the mowing deck appears! You did check the transaxle lube? The stick is under the toolbox tray....just lift the pan out. She sure runs nice!

#8 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 17, 2011 - 07:31 PM

That's one nice original D4-10. I can't get over how nice the mowing deck appears! You did check the transaxle lube? The stick is under the toolbox tray....just lift the pan out. She sure runs nice!

Honestly didn't check the transaxle oil. We did check the engine oil and I figured for the little bit of driving around I was possibly going to do it would be alright. I am going to change all the fluids in it this week and check out the charging system because I don't think it is charging. If I can get it to charge I am going to take the wheels with ag tires off the Massey MF12 along with the wheel weights and take the Bush Hog to the plow day in Cochranton.

I didn't get a chance to hook the volt meter up to the charging system yet but the ammeter showed no charging at higher engine speeds but at idle showed it was charging around 3 volts.

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted April 17, 2011 - 07:36 PM

I had to laugh when I first drove it. I took it out of the garage and it is downhill a little and I wanted to stop beside my wife, pushed the clutch in expecting to catch brake,....... not slowing down....... push harder,........ still not slowing down........ start laughing and let it drift in to the front yard and come to a stop. I decided to look down and to the right, hmmm what is that pedal for....... drive a little more press the clutch and press the right pedal. Hey I got brakes LOL.

#10 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,605 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted April 17, 2011 - 07:56 PM

I had to laugh when I first drove it. I took it out of the garage and it is downhill a little and I wanted to stop beside my wife, pushed the clutch in expecting to catch brake,....... not slowing down....... push harder,........ still not slowing down........ start laughing and let it drift in to the front yard and come to a stop. I decided to look down and to the right, hmmm what is that pedal for....... drive a little more press the clutch and press the right pedal. Hey I got brakes LOL.

I did exactly the same type thing when I drove my 1st D4-10, EXCEPT that I almost hit the barn! LOL Got the brake figured out just in time! Guess it pays to check things over BEFORE we nick them in gear huh! BTW....the dipstick will appear as a normal square headed pipe plug, but has a stick made to it. The one fill spot lubes the final & the transmission. 80/90 or similar will do fine. I used 80/140, but that's what I already had.

#11 broken2 OFFLINE  

broken2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 85
  • 279 Thanks
  • 425 posts

Posted April 17, 2011 - 08:22 PM

I knew you'd get it running today. The engine sounds great. Can't wait to see pics and video of it plowing.

#12 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted April 17, 2011 - 08:23 PM

Hey, that's great! I wish I could've heard her fire up.

Bet the smile was a big one!

That thing will look MEAN with the Ags on it.

#13 LPBolens OFFLINE  

LPBolens

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 874
  • 1,176 Thanks
  • 882 posts

Posted April 17, 2011 - 08:24 PM

Wow, George! That surely is a nice one, and it sounds great. I'm green with envy.

#14 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted April 17, 2011 - 08:24 PM

Great looking Bush Hog George. It is in really nice original shape, sure you want to do a restore? It looks really good the way it is.

#15 DH1 ONLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted April 17, 2011 - 08:48 PM

Looking good George