#1 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted March 15, 2010 - 07:29 PM

When I bought my 1655 10 yrs ago the person who had it before hand had cut the blades shorter so that they wouldn't hit each other.The original cogged pulleys had been changed to 4" cast sheaves and he had put v belts to drive the spindles.Well there was noway it would cut grass like that so rather then pay dearly for pulleys and belts,I decided to modify the deck.It was also a rear discharge deck so I changed that to a side discharge as well.I cut out the front of the deck and sort of vee'd the front.Had to move the center spindle ahead 7" to get the proper blade overlap.I also had to have the gear box's shaft turned down on a lathe to accomidate a double 4" sheave on the drive's shaft in order to run belts to the mower spindles.The belt cover's had to be modified as well in order to cover the belts.The left side and center spindle are driven by one belt and the right side spindle is driven by another belt.The reason for that is that when I put the turbo grass catcher on I drive it by the right side spindle that has a double pulley on it.This way there's never more then two spindles being driven by one belt.Its been working excellent since changing it over this way 10 yrs ago.I haven't taken any pictures of the belts yet but can do if anyone wants to see how there set up.Larry

Attached Thumbnails

• Digital camera pi&.jpg
  • Digital camera pi&.jpg

• NUTNDUN, tweidman, olcowhand and 4 others have said thanks

#2 Guest_hooligan_*

Guest_hooligan_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted March 15, 2010 - 11:01 PM

Now that's what I call some very nice work. Excellent approach to a tricky problem, with a top notch solution. It couldn't have been designed better by the guys with the slide rules. BRAVO, BRAVO

#3 Bill56 OFFLINE  

Bill56

Tractorholic

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted March 15, 2010 - 11:22 PM

:yelclap::yelclap::yelclap: You definitely did some nice fabrication on that. Great job!!

#4 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted March 16, 2010 - 04:38 AM

That is some nice work.:thumbs:

#5 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted March 16, 2010 - 06:59 AM

That is a great solution to the cogged pulley availability/cost issue. I would love to see what it looks like under the belt cover, when you get a chance.
I was thinking that I would use a deck off the rear, but now that I know that a stock deck can be modified, this gives me more options.

Did you try the original deck with the short blades? What did it do?

#6 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted March 16, 2010 - 07:41 AM

That is a great solution to the cogged pulley availability/cost issue. I would love to see what it looks like under the belt cover, when you get a chance.
I was thinking that I would use a deck off the rear, but now that I know that a stock deck can be modified, this gives me more options.

Did you try the original deck with the short blades? What did it do?

I never tried the deck with the shorter blades as I knew very well that It would leave strips of uncut grass.I'll go and take some pictures for you later today.I also need to take some pictures of the 3pth stump grinder that I used on the MF1655 that I'am currently in the process of mounting it onto the front of my MF gc2300.My neck and back bother me way to much now to have it on the back of the tractor.Larry

#7 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted March 16, 2010 - 07:29 PM

=tweidman;4030]That is a great solution to the cogged pulley availability/cost issue. I would love to see what it looks like under the belt cover, when you get a chance.

I went out and took the guards off this morning and took some pictures.I guess I kinda forgot that there's actually 3 belts under there.I have it set up that the gear box has a double pulley and it drives the right and left spindle.The left has a double pulley that drives the center pulley.The right has a double pulley that drives the grass pump when I have the grass catcher on.I first made it with one belt just like most 3 blade decks have.I kept breaking the belt.I supposed it I would have put a good quality belt on it may have been alright.This is how I have mine set up,I just use cheap $ 5 belts and the ones on there have been on for 3 yrs and still look good.Larry:D

Attached Thumbnails

• Digital camera pi&.jpg
  • Digital camera pi&.jpg
  • Digital camera pi&.jpg
  • Digital camera pi&.jpg
  • Digital camera pi&.jpg
  • Digital camera pi&.jpg

Edited by olcowhand, March 16, 2010 - 07:59 PM.
fixed quote box

• tinner and bigge61 have said thanks

#8 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted March 18, 2010 - 09:08 PM

That is a nice set up. Thanks for taking the time....and the pics

#9 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted March 19, 2010 - 10:24 PM

Larry thank you for the great post and hopefully you don't mind but I added it to our projects section of the site. You can see it here: Garden Tractor Talk - Modified Massey MF 1655 54

#10 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,076 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted March 20, 2010 - 07:56 AM

Larry thank you for the great post and hopefully you don't mind but I added it to our projects section of the site. You can see it here: Garden Tractor Talk - Modified Massey MF 1655 54

Don't mind at all.Larry

#11 adamscr OFFLINE  

adamscr

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2081
  • 1 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted February 21, 2011 - 06:47 AM

Just picked up an 1855 (still on the trailer) with two decks - one complete and one shell. If I can get the tractor running then this mod will certainly be a consideration. I've been dreading having to buy the original belts and finding pulleys. The spindle bearings are also toast so it may be time to find complete spindles as well. Thanks a bunch for this info!

#12 tractorgarden OFFLINE  

tractorgarden

Junk Whisperer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 2291
  • 1,277 Thanks
  • 1,432 posts

Posted March 16, 2011 - 09:16 PM

You did a fantastic job on that deck. To bad they did not use your design on the originals.

#13 brandsa2001 ONLINE  

brandsa2001

• Member No: 2838
  • 2 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted April 21, 2011 - 05:56 PM

That is an awesome idea. Great craftsmanship