• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 11:38 AM

we used to get those grips from some Gravely dealer out in WV yrs back, might be the same place.  Exhaust that been run any length of time will almost weld itself together. you could try some heat and see where that goes, or just cut it off and split the threads with a hack saw blade.

#47 Pats OFFLINE  

Pats
  • Member No: 79701
  • 20 Thanks
  • 27 posts

Posted January 24, 2016 - 09:28 PM

Full disclosure, I'm brand new to the DB and know next to nothing but just dealt with replacing an old exhaust pipe. Soaked the threads for a couple days with penetrating oil, then applied a 24" pipe wrench and slowly twisted and prayed. Luckily the wrench found a good purchase and the pipe came loose. Good luck.  

• drknobhead said thank you

#48 drknobhead OFFLINE  

drknobhead
  • Member No: 80041
  • 2 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted January 25, 2016 - 08:07 PM

any ideas on how to make the gas stop spewing out the weap hole at the bottom of my carb?  Take my carb apart and unstick my float?

#49 drknobhead OFFLINE  

drknobhead
  • Member No: 80041
  • 2 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted January 26, 2016 - 09:26 PM

Full disclosure, I'm brand new to the DB and know next to nothing but just dealt with replacing an old exhaust pipe. Soaked the threads for a couple days with penetrating oil, then applied a 24" pipe wrench and slowly twisted and prayed. Luckily the wrench found a good purchase and the pipe came loose. Good luck.  

Hey it worked! Thanks man!

• Pats said thank you

#50 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • Member No: 51516
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 03:44 PM

Ok, I actually found the receipt tonight for the used Black Grips for the David Bradley.  I was wrong about Tennessee, it was in WV.  Richard's Lawn & Garden Equipment, phone number is 800-827-4551 or 304 927 4580, and with shipping, they came to $5.30 a piece. 

Besides my carb leaking, I also have a straight pipe that my grandpa put in for the exhaust back in the 50's.  Any idea how to get it unscrewed to put my Model N muffler threaded in? Vice grips and pipe wrench not getting it to turn.

My carb did exactly the same thing first time I put gas in the tank. Leaked from that small drain hole. I took the carb apart several times. Bought a rebuild kit and some spare parts. Adjusted the float to have less gas in the bowl. Works as it should now.

Thanks for the info on the repro grips. These from McMaster-Carr Are OK but not quite like the original ones. I may check with Richards in WV to see if he has any more grips.

Ok just got off the phone with them and I have a pair on the way. They said they matched the originals.

Regards,

Chris

#51 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted January 27, 2016 - 03:48 PM

any ideas on how to make the gas stop spewing out the weap hole at the bottom of my carb?  Take my carb apart and unstick my float?

Ok I may have missed something here. Your avitar shows a completed DB painted up. So I assume that its done and just leaks gas? If that's the case then changing the float level may help a lot.

Regards,

Chris

#52 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted March 31, 2016 - 01:30 PM

Folks,

I did get he DB out for a spin. Added gas and the Model N engine fired up on the second pull.

drove it around for a bit then installed the hand grips. First one did not get quit all the way on. The best way to install would have been to plug the end of the metal handle bar wit the cork then inflate the grip as it went on. Well I was smarter on the second one and used blak electical tape to seal the end of the handle bar. Also added a little dish soap on the inside of the grip. inflated and it went on pretty easy.

DSC05312.jpg

DSC05313.jpg

DSC05314.jpg

DSC05316.jpg

DSC05317.jpg

When I was ready to put it away it started to smoke. Not sure what that is about need to check the oil prior to next outing.

Regards,

Chris.

Edited by Sugarmaker, March 31, 2016 - 01:31 PM.

#53 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted July 24, 2016 - 10:08 PM

Folks,

Been a while!

I still have the family David Bradley! I cultivated the sweet corn with it when it was 10 inches tall.

I took the DB to its first show. Along with 5 other tractors. I think the old DB got more attention than any of the others. It started right up and just purred at low idle. Local DB guru brought me a new gear drive and dogs and springs for the right wheel which is not driving. Thanks Darrell!

Regards,

Chris

• Alc said thank you

#54 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted July 28, 2016 - 07:44 AM

Folks,

I changed out the drum on the right side of the drive axle. The old drum with the teeth were very worn on the points.The new drum had sharp points and it worked very well. Much better when both wheels are driving!

This is a nice little garden tractor, I have had a lot of fun with. That old N series Briggs sure sounds nice! Thanks for the support on this project!

Regards,

Chris

• Alc said thank you

#55 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted September 25, 2016 - 07:11 AM

Pleased to report the old DB is running good for a 60+ year old machine! Have taken it to several shows and it starts right up and purrs at a idle! Folks seem to like the bullet nose design! Thanks for the support getting this family tractor going!

Replacing that bad hub made the tractor pull with both wheels and work as it should. Thanks to Darrell in NW PA For the hub!

Regards,

Chris

• Alc and MGP59DB have said thanks