#1 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • Member No: 51516
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 08:25 PM

Folks,

I will get some pictures. I Promise!

I have been checking on this David Bradely site for several weeks since the new to us DB made it into the garage.

This tractor came from my wifes Dads place and had belonged to her grandfather.

It set in a shed with a roof over it but the west wall was open and it has seen some weather.. The sheet metal seems to be in fair shape.

It has a cultivator frame and several blades about 2 inches wide on each side.

The cultivator wheels are rusted away and need replaced. Anyone have a set that they would sell/ trade?

So I brought this machine home several months ago and Cheryl kept asking if I had got it running yet?

Figured I better move this project up the list, so I put in in front of her new kitchen that she has wanted forever and my new garage that I need:)

The Sears (Briggs) engine was still free after all these years and felt like it still had a little compression!

Weeks ago I had change the plug put some gas in and it ran out the bottom of the carb. That lead to a total carb rebuild with several parts located at a small engine repair shop. Thanks to a old timer that loves these engines.

I still dont know the year built,  but guessing early 50's was when it was made? More research on that. You folks may know when I get the pictures loaded.

It may be the original engine? So total carb rebuit yesterday. I needed a new emlusion tube, main needle valve, body gasket and upper carb to mainfold gasket.

Couple days ago I checked for spark and had none. Proceeded to strip the nut on the crank shaft! (forgot it might be left handed)! Cleaned up the left hand threads on the crank and friend Gary had a 1/2-20 left hand nut. Wow that was close to ruining this whole project!

While the fly wheel was off, checked the points and filed and cleaned them. Tightened the ground screw for the points, cleaned up the mag surfaces. replaced spark plug wire. We then had good spark.

Yesterday, Routed new 7 foot throttle cable and got that all set and working. Was tickled that the original throttle handle was able to be saved! Glad I took a few pictures as I disassemble. That helped. The machine got degreased and pressure washed to remove that protective coating of grease and grime.

Cleaned tank and fuel line today.

Fresh gas, several pulls of the cord nothing. A little gas leaking out, here and there, tighten fittings.

So dad always said "the engine should run with gas, spark and compression!" I think I have all three. Just did not seem to want to pop. Then I saw a slite whiff of smoke from the exhaust. I placed my thumb over the end of the exhaust while pulling the rip cord and she poped twice. Seemed like that helped suck some gas into the cylinder? Couiple more pulls and the little Briggs engine was alive! Great feeling like when I was a kid! Adjusted the needle vavles a little. Blipped the trotttle several times and she settled down and ran better than a lot of new engines! What A sweet sound! Put the drive belt on and took the DB for a little spin in the yard. It has been 50 years since I drove one of these, We had one and my grandfather traded it for a pony for me.

(found a few pictures to start)

Regards,

Chris

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC04635.JPG
  • DSC04628.JPG
  • DSC04631.JPG

• Gtractor, Alc, Lauber1 and 3 others have said thanks

#2 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,770 Thanks
  • 7,538 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 08:55 PM

Congratulations. Next the garage to be done before Thanksgiving. Do the kitchen after the holidays. Good Luck, Rick

• Lauber1 said thank you

#3 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 09:57 PM

well you need to start with the info off the plate on the left side of the gear case. the model and series number will help a little wit the yr. Actually you missed the easiest way to tell as you have an old briggs engine, and the build date is in a small circle on the outer edge of the flywheel, which you had off at one time. You have button knobby tires which were an option, and it looks like your engine is a model N briggs. Gauge wheels that aren't rust are around but they want like $30 a pop for them any more.

#4 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted October 31, 2015 - 05:02 AM

Glad to see you got it running and are having fun . I got a cultivator with the last DB I bought the gauge wheels are a little rough but you can have them if you want
  • Sugarmaker said thank you

#5 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted November 01, 2015 - 07:29 PM

Tractorholic,

Thank you very much! I would take the guage wheels if you dont want them?

You could email me, or PM me? And we could set up arrangements.

Folks I will try to get some information off the tag, under the left side of the hood.

Regards,

Chris

#6 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 09:27 PM

Some additional pictures of the DB.

I guess if you have seen one you have seen them all as they say. Strange little machines. But I like to take a bunch of pictures. Especially If i plan to make any major up grades.

DSC04705.jpg

Face only a tractor colector could love?:)

DSC04704.jpg

DSC04703.jpg

These pictures may be in reverse order

DSC04702.jpg

DSC04701.jpg

DSC04700.jpg

DSC04699.jpg

tag is not readable in this shot. Need to get down and try to cipher the codes

DSC04697.jpg

DSC04696.jpg

DSC04695.jpg

DSC04694.jpg

DSC04693.jpg

DSC04692.jpg

Turned the gas on and it started on the first pull today, and sounds real sweet! it did leak gas out the carb the other night. I may need to remove the carb again and adjust the float to lower the gas level in the bowl as mentioned on here.

Regards,

Chris

• Lauber1 and VSTROM803 have said thanks

#7 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 08:50 PM

Folks,

Found some information on the tag it is a series 178. Just found that the back side of the engine case has a horizontial crack that is seaping a little oil:  Have started the engine several times and fires up real easy. 

Regards,

Chris

• Alc said thank you

#8 j p smith OFFLINE  

j p smith
  • Member No: 54240
  • 18 Thanks
  • 24 posts

Posted November 10, 2015 - 02:34 PM

Chris, what are the other numbers on the tag? Should be like 6 to 8 numbers or so 

#9 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted November 10, 2015 - 08:54 PM

jp,

The numbers on the top line of the tag are something like 915.586????? I did not write them down so that is a guess. I think I seen the same numbers on here somewhere.

I will try to look tomorrow.

Regards,

Chris

#10 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted November 11, 2015 - 06:18 PM

Folks,

The rest of the numbers are 917.5751 and series 178.

Any information on year built would be great. I will try to search for production numbers too.

Looks like this unit was made right after the war.

Regards,

Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker, November 11, 2015 - 07:19 PM.

#11 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,440 Thanks
  • 2,796 posts

Posted November 12, 2015 - 06:36 PM

well I can save you a lot of time, there are no productions numbers to look for. People been looking for 30yrs and haven't found any yet. Theres only two way to find the yr of the tractor....dig someone up and ask them, or date the serial number from the engine.  51 tractors were built from 46 to 49. the series number numbers end in the high 300's so if your s is 178 then its about half way thur the batches.

• Alc, Sugarmaker and Pats have said thanks

#12 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted November 13, 2015 - 04:40 PM

Lauber1.

Well, I guess I wont look any more for a list of production info. I will try to look at the engine numbers. Last look at the plate they did not show up well at all.

Regards,

Chris

#13 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 01:15 PM

Glad to see you got it running and are having fun . I got a cultivator with the last DB I bought the gauge wheels are a little rough but you can have them if you want

Folks,

Thanks to Al I now have some good looking gauge wheels for the cultivator. (Mine were totally rotted out) Was very nice of you to get these to me! When I get the electrolisis tank up and running again these will clean up real good.

Regards,

Chris

• Alc said thank you

#14 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted November 18, 2015 - 08:42 PM

Folks,

Attemped to start the little Briggs this after noon and had some problems. Gas flooded out the carb. Float must be sticking? It has a plastic needle valve and it just seems to be very sticky to the sides. Is there a replacement steel needle valve? I put the carb back on and then it seemed like it wasnt getting gas?? needle stuck closed?

Any way tomorrow is another day.

The new gauage wheels fit good!

Regards,

Chris

• Alc said thank you

#15 Sugarmaker OFFLINE  

Sugarmaker
  • 205 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted November 19, 2015 - 03:36 PM

Folks,

Had time to play with the DB a little today. Heated and straightened the rods that the gauge wheels are on. Right one was bent in and the left one was bent down. (Will tyry to get some pictures) Also got it started and it ran for a while. But when the float stuck closed it would shut off and then be real hard to start.

Got the N Carb Kit number (291691) off EBAY about $17.00 plus shipping. Local shop has the kit for just under $30.

I was able to get the numbers off the engine. 500.306126.

This engine has a crack in the block, 4 inches from the base on the back side. Any suggestions as to a fix. I was thinking JB weld as a patch?

Regards,

Chris