• Please log in to reply
413 replies to this topic

#121 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • Member No: 76653
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 09:06 PM

Tomorrow I'm off in search of 4 new tires, 39 freshly sandblasted parts, and then a visit to Dandy Sales in Monson, MA. Jim agreed to let me pick up some much needed parts for my project. Looks like 4.5 hours of driving all over western Mass and southern Vermont.
  • panzersarebest said thank you

#122 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted December 31, 2015 - 08:53 PM

I hit the road at 8:00AM in the midst of a slush storm...dropped off my freshly painted wheels for some fresh rubber...and then hit the road for Brattleboro, Vermont. Slow going as I wound my way northward over the mountains on twisty 2 lane roads...banging the transfer case in and out of 4wd whenever things got hairy...passing the occasional slow moving Subaru...dodging the tidal wave of slush from oncoming plows...rocking out to the Joe Walsh channel on Pandora and having a generally great time. There's nothing I enjoy more than a road trip to pick up new toys, tools, parts, or motorcycles.

So I reached my destination promptly at the prearranged time of 9:30, but as often is the case, Matt was running a little late. That's OK. It gave me some time to peruse the mountain of motorcycle frames he has in the driveway next to his shop. I've asked him about the pile before and, apparently, they are cast-offs from a local bike shop that specializes in café racers. The weird part is that they're mostly Yamaha shaft drive bikes and the shaft drive assemblies are still on the discarded frames. I keep trying to figure out what they're doing with shaft drive engines and no shaft drives. I can't figure out how you build what I imagine are chain drive café racers using a motor that has an output shaft pointing out the back...unless you strip that 90 degree gear box off and hang a sprocket right off the end of the crank shaft...but I digress...

Matt opened up the shop and led me to my freshly sandblasted parts. A quick inventory accounted for all 39 pieces and we loaded up the back of my 4Runner. A handshake and $200 later, I hit the road for Dandy Sales in Monson, MA...down near the Connecticut border.
  • Alc and backwoods have said thanks

#123 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,393 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted January 01, 2016 - 06:22 AM

Neat bearing puller you made there! Good luck!

• Hondarider said thank you

#124 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 01:14 PM

I keep trying to update this thread, but the woodstove is conspiring against me. Every time I sit down to type, I fall asleep...

#125 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 03:20 PM

OK, my nap is over and its time for an update.

When last I wrote, I was winding my way southward through the Pioneer Valley in search of rare NOS Panzer parts; like a modern day Indiana Jones...minus the stylish satchel. The GPS led me to the home of Mr. Jim Haynes; long time proprietor of Dandy Sales. I should say that the GPS led me to a rural residential road, a tractor shaped mailbox, and a long snow-covered driveway...no real indication that this was actually the location. I suppose this is what he meant when he said that he preferred to conduct his business via mail order...it's not exactly a storefront. I put it in 4wd as Jim had mandated over the phone and picked my way up the long and circuitous drive. What I found was a little house tucked up in the woods, a detached 2 bay garage about 60 feet long, and few additional outbuildings; not unlike the typical residence frequented by Mike and Frank on American Pickers...no shortage of cool old tin tractors, trucks, and cars parked about the property.

I loitered in the driveway for a minute or two while looking for signs of life and was soon greeted by Mr. Haynes himself. He led me into the largest of the buildings on the premises and it was exactly what I was hoping for...incandescent lights illuminating rows of shelving and hundreds of cardboard boxes and bins...tires of every size stacked up into the rafters...bare parts coated in Cosmoline...painted parts sporting that familiar turquoise hue...belts hanging on walls...vintage "automobilia" in every direction...and that smell...the smell of steel and rubber and gas and oil and dust...the smell of a bygone industrial era where Americans built the things that he rest of the world yearned for...a smell that no hipster, no Kardashian, nor Prius driver will ever appreciate or understand. Gearhead Nirvana. I almost took off my hat and put it over my heart.

We were greeted at the door by what I believe was a 1921 Haynes 2-door sedan that Jim had recently acquired. A long black behemoth with full length running boards, wood-spoked wheels, and a ton of history. Apparently, the cars were manufactured by Jim's great-uncle and he had been on the hunt for this car for quite a while. He enthusiastically shared the details of the car's nearly 100 year past; walled up behind concrete block in the basement of a dealership for 60+ years - ostensibly to save it from the government recycling efforts of WWII. Behind the Haynes was a '36 Chevy with a story of it's own I'm sure. No shortage of mechanical pursuits for Jim's retirement.

Back to the business at hand...Panzer parts. Jim had already collected up all of the parts that I had requested and they were waiting by the door. However, since I got the distinct impression that this might be my very last opportunity to buy parts from Jim, I strained my brain to think of any other parts that I could ever want or need in the future. I asked about the tool box that fits under the seat - Jim had one...cogged pulleys for the mower deck - got 'em....gas cap - he had 3 different sizes - I took one of each...belts, bushings, wood rollers - got 'em, got 'em, got 'em! $450 and some pleasant conversation later, and I was ready to roll. Another Panzer enthusiast and his father had arrived and were also there to buy some parts so I opted not to monopolize Jim's time any longer. As a going away gift, Jim offered me a used mower deck to cannibalize parts from if needed. I gladly accepted and hit the road with my treasures in tow.

IMG_2956.JPG
  • KennyP and backwoods have said thanks

#126 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 03:27 PM

Back at the garage...

Freshly sand-blasted parts

IMG_2962.JPG

IMG_2963.JPG

Fresh new parts from Dandy Sales

IMG_2960.JPG

And a bonus

IMG_2961.JPG

• backwoods said thank you

#127 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 04:57 PM

Prep for Paint

While most of the parts were ready to go straight to paint, I had a couple in need of attention.  The biggest of which was the mower deck with multiple dents, some wrinkled edges, a broken weld, and a few spots that had worn through.  I spent New Year's Eve beating out the wrinkles with an assortment of hammers and my great grandfather's anvil...followed by some amateurish welding and some artistic grinding.

Broken weld and a little out of square...

IMG_2964.JPG

Ringing in the New Year with a 5lb mini-sledge

IMG_2968.JPG

Mostly straight and reattached...

IMG_2975.JPG

I clamped a block of aluminum behind the areas that were worn through and then welded a few passes at a very low setting to build up enough steel to grind smooth

IMG_2977.JPG

IMG_2976.JPG

All in all, it looks good enough to mow grass with

• KennyP and backwoods have said thanks

#128 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 05:26 PM

ADVENTURES IN AXLE LAND

Since all of my remaining parts are at Dave The Painter's house...and his compressor motor just crapped out on him...I've got some time on my hands for other pursuits; specifically my 1953 Plymouth 8.25" rear axle assembly. (took me some searching to identify that)

As mentioned a few posts back, I managed to remove both of the axle shafts and then the bearings with the aid of a 20 ton hydraulic press. 

In the meantime, I ordered the new tapered roller bearings from my local NAPA

Inner bearing assembly - 25877

Outer bearing cup - 25821

Grand total of almost $90...GASP!!!

Edited by Hondarider, January 02, 2016 - 05:27 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#129 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 05:52 PM

So I polished up my axle shafts a bit, picked up my overpriced SKF bearings, and headed for Daryl's house to press the inners onto the shafts.

PROBLEM!

As almost all of you know, when pressing a bearing onto a shaft, you must apply force to the inner race only.  Conversely, when pressing a bearing into a hole, pressure must be applied to the outer race only.  Bearings don't generally enjoy transferring thousands of pounds of force across the rollers or the balls or the pins.

However, when I slid the inner bearing assembly onto the axle in preparation for the press, I noticed that the roller cage assembly protrudes beyond the inner race. 

IMG_2981.JPG

In order to press this bearing onto the shaft without damaging the cage, I'd need a spacer.  Unfortunately, we did not have any spacers so I packed up my toys and went back home.

#130 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,734 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 06:23 PM

Sounds like a fun couple of days. Tractor parts look great. 

#131 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 09:01 PM

Sounds like a fun couple of days. Tractor parts look great. 

I can think of no better way to spend my time than trekking across the countryside in search of rare parts or tinkering away for hours in the garage.  Good times indeed!   :thumbs:

...other than standing around the garage, drinking beer, and telling my buddy, Bob, about all the trekking and tinkering.  That's fun too!

Edited by Hondarider, January 02, 2016 - 09:03 PM.

• backwoods said thank you

#132 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 09:12 PM

As mentioned previously, I came home from Daryl's in need of a spacer for pressing the bearings onto the shafts.  In the past, I've found old bearing races make good spacers so I grabbed one of the freshly removed ones and cut the cage off of the inner race with a mini cut-off wheel.

IMG_2983.JPG

IMG_2984.JPG

Now I have the spacer I need...almost

• Alc said thank you

#133 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted January 02, 2016 - 09:44 PM

The inner race of the removed bearing makes a perfect spacer with one important exception, the inner diameter is still a press fit for the axle shaft.  If I use it to press on the new bearing, it will likely get stuck.  To remedy that situation, I went after it with a grinding wheel until it was a slip fit over the shaft.

IMG_2989.JPG

Once that was done, I cruised back down to Daryl's house with axles and bearings in hand...anxious to test out my handy work

In the press and...

IMG_2994.JPG

50 pumps of the jack handle later and...BOOM!

IMG_2995.JPG

• DougT, KennyP and backwoods have said thanks

#134 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted January 03, 2016 - 01:32 PM

Somewhere along the way, someone asked me about the battery box for the T70ES...wanting pictures or dimensions or something. I can't figure out if that was an email or a private message or what.

Anyhow, the battery "box" is more of a plate that bolts on beneath the spring for the seat. It's #123/127 in the diagram below. The version that Jim sold me is a simple flat plate with a lip along one edge.There is a corresponding bracket #124 that goes on top of the battery and clamps it in place. I can probably trace the one I've got if you're looking to duplicate it.

IMG_2974.JPG

IMG_2973.JPG

IMG_2972.JPG
  • Bolens 1000 and Alc have said thanks

#135 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted January 03, 2016 - 07:31 PM

Purely informational post. No entertainment value whatsoever. I just pulled the rear seals that isolate the oil in the differential from the grease in the bearings. The best method that I know of to remove these is the slide hammer with internal jaws installed. Unfortunately, the chances of getting them out without damaging them seems pretty slim. Anyhow, here are the dimensions:

SEAL INNER DIAMETER (SHAFT DIAMETER) - 1.375"
SEAL OUTER DIAMETER (BORE) - 2.686"
SEAL THICKNESS - 0.5"

It looks like the SKF #13892 seal should do the trick so I just ordered 2 on eBay for $12.85 each. Mine didn't look bad, but they've been in there for decades and I figured I should take care of them while I was in there.

IMG_3001.JPG

Edited by Hondarider, January 03, 2016 - 07:32 PM.

• Bolens 1000 and backwoods have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: panzer, t70