• Please log in to reply
413 replies to this topic

#106 centaurdave OFFLINE  

centaurdave

• Member No: 4549
  • 2 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted December 27, 2015 - 01:27 PM

Thanks for checking. Ours had 8'' wheels and tires on it, but the nose sets up in the air. Thanks again for the information. Dave

• Hondarider said thank you

#107 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • Member No: 76653
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted December 27, 2015 - 03:21 PM

PAINTED PARTS!!!!

Drove up to pick up the first load of painted parts today. I couldn't be happier with the results. Unfortunately, there are still about 42 pieces left to paint. I really need a pair of fenders from Dandy Sales before the next batch of parts is ready for paint. Here's what I have so far...

IMG_2937.JPG

I've got the frame back up on the table for assembly...

IMG_2936.JPG

Edited by Hondarider, December 27, 2015 - 03:27 PM.

• backwoods and panzersarebest have said thanks

#108 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted December 27, 2015 - 03:38 PM

I'm pretty sure that no Panzer ever left the factory with this level of paint finish. This thing is going to be relegated to garage queen status at this rate. It's just so shiny.

IMG_2942.JPG

I can see myself in the nose!

IMG_2940.JPG
  • backwoods and panzersarebest have said thanks

#109 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted December 27, 2015 - 03:52 PM

I know its a complete waste of time, and I'll have to take it all apart again, but I just couldn't help myself from doing a little mock-up on a rainy Sunday afternoon. I dig it!

IMG_2948.JPG
  • panzersarebest said thank you

#110 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted December 27, 2015 - 03:58 PM

DOh! First problem. Despite my best efforts to wrap up and protect the wheel bearings during blast and paint, I just removed the duct tape and found that the right axle bearing was packed solid with sand. It looks like I'll be tearing down the rear axle after all as I don't see a way to get that bearing truly clean without removing it and flushing it...maybe even replacing it. That's disappointing.

IMG_2943.JPG
  • panzersarebest said thank you

#111 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted December 28, 2015 - 07:47 PM

Anybody ever torn into the rear end in one of these things? Removed the axles? Replaced the bearings? I might take a shot at it tomorrow.

#112 Clint ONLINE  

Clint

• Member No: 8265
  • 412 Thanks
  • 295 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 07:25 PM

Anybody ever torn into the rear end in one of these things? Removed the axles? Replaced the bearings? I might take a shot at it tomorrow.

I've got one that's apart right now. Bought it that way. Shouldn't be too bad though.

• Hondarider said thank you

#113 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 08:07 PM

So, after a couple days of deep thought and contemplation, followed by technical discussion with my favorite MOPAR guy, I decided to get after the bearings today. My understanding of the situation is that the bearing was initially pressed onto the axle shaft and then the shaft was installed into the housing...hopefully with minimal interference between the outer race and the axle housing. With that in mind, I put the nut on the end of the axle and attached the slide hammer...

Slide...BANG!
Slide...BANG!

more aggressively

Slide...BANG!
Slide...BANG!

now with GUSTO

Slide...BANG!
Slide...BANG!
Slide...BA-whoops!

That last one nearly took the entire tractor frame off of the table.

Crap! THe slide hammer is not going to get this done. Apparently, this thing is really stuck in there.

#114 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 08:16 PM

More contemplation...a Corona...some Joe Walsh on the radio...EUREKA!

I can't apply a whole lot of force to the axle without moving the entire frame. So I'll have to lever off of something immovable from the axle's perspective...the axle housing itself. I need a reverse gear puller of sorts...where the shaft pulls away from the flange of the axle housing. I could picture it in my head, but I don't own anything that does this specific task.

I'd have to get creative.

Step 1: Install 5 bolts in the backing plate holes to establish a surface to lever off of.

IMG_2949.JPG

Now the gears are turning...metaphorically speaking of course

Edited by Hondarider, December 29, 2015 - 08:26 PM.

#115 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 08:29 PM

Step 2: Find a piece of 2x8 and drill a hole through it that's big enough for the axle to pass, but small enough for the nut to push against.

IMG_2951.JPG

#116 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 08:37 PM

Here's where things got a little "chain tree". What I really needed was a big honking washer with a 7/8" hole in it. I did not have such a washer. I suspect that my local hardware store doesn't even stock a washer that big. So I improvised.

It turns out that your typical electrical junction box cover has a 7/8" hole right in the center of it and I have a drawer full of them...makeshift washer.

IMG_2950.JPG

#117 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 08:39 PM

Now the good news is that the bearing was packed with sand so it wouldn't turn at all. That allowed me to crank on the nut and...BOOM!

...the axle shaft and bearing popped right out

IMG_2952.JPG
  • Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#118 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 08:51 PM

The other side was not so cooperative since the bearing was not packed with sand and the axle spun freely whenever I tried to tighten the nut. The tapered shaft does not lend itself well to being held, but I managed to squeeze in a small strap wrench. Even with the axle held firmly, and the nut being cranked down to the point of concern, the left shaft was not moving at all. I cranked it down until the 2x8 was creaking and on the verge of failure, but nothing was moving.

At that point, with all that tension...metal straining...wood creaking...I tapped on the end of the axle with a 5lb sledge...POP! The left side came out after 53 years.
  • Alc said thank you

#119 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 08:57 PM

Years ago, I had a 20 ton hydraulic press in my garage, but it took up too much space and I only used it once a year, so off it went to Craigslist.  Today I realized that one should never sell a tool...or be prepared to regret it.  My 2 ton arbor press was not going to get it done.  I was lamenting my most recent roadblock to my gearhead friends on Facebook when I received a subtle text message photo from my hero, Daryl.

IMG_2954.JPG

I love this guy!

#120 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted December 29, 2015 - 09:00 PM

A quick ride to Daryl's house and 5 minutes in the garage later...

IMG_2953.JPG

Now I'm shopping for Timken bearings on eBay

• backwoods said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: panzer, t70