tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted December 06, 2015 - 09:14 AM

Your restoration is looking good.

I'm impressed that you are disassembling so well to sand blast all the parts.

Most people wouldn't bother to remove the brake drums and backing plates from the rear axle.

• Cat385B and Hondarider have said thanks

#92 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • Member No: 76653
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted December 06, 2015 - 07:42 PM

I may regret going down so far if I can't find those cardboard seals for the axles.  Mostly, I just wanted to inspect the bearings. I am making a conscious effort not to take too many shortcuts since I'm writing this thread.  I don't want people questioning the quality of my work. 

#93 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted December 06, 2015 - 07:45 PM

You didn't take axles of carrier out?

No.  Everything looked good, spun smoothly, and the gear lash felt about right so I didn't want to disturb it.  I taped up the bearings real good for blasting and painting, but left it all together.  Once the brake assemblies go back on, I'll fill the dif with fresh oil and I expect it will be happy for a few more decades.

#94 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted December 11, 2015 - 03:32 PM

Someone recommended to me for the seal to get a solid piece of cork and cut them yourself. I did it a little different and found a real grease seal that I could put in with some modification to the backing plate.  Though these panzers are notorious for having different rear end arrangements even within the same years since the rear axles were used to begin with.

http://gardentractor...eal#entry253690

http://gardentractor...eal#entry253690

#95 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted December 11, 2015 - 03:41 PM

BTW, love the story, but I have too much ADD to read everything ;)

• Hondarider said thank you

#96 Chris11 ONLINE  

Chris11

old Member

• Member No: 1601
  • 1,626 Thanks
  • 944 posts

Posted December 13, 2015 - 05:43 PM

My panzer I made paper gaskets just like the ones that came with it. I did clean out the grease fitting holes and put fittings in like the car has. so I grease the rear axle bearings. I also lift the back of the tractor up to get gear oil on the bearings. Flipping the housing up side down you don't lube the bearings I put all new ring and pinon bearings in because they didn't get any oil on them.

#97 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 08:46 PM

So, for the past couple weeks, I've been cleaning parts and getting them sandblasted.  I'm into the sandblaster for about $250 and I'm probably 70% complete through that phase of the job.  From the sandblaster's shop, I've been delivering the parts directly to the painter's house.  I think he was hoping to get all the parts at once and knock out the entire job, but I've been dragging my feet a bit.  The disassembly, degreasing, and cataloguing takes a lot longer than I expected.  The upside is that he's taken to doing some body work while he's waiting.  He filled and shaped the hood...he did some welding on the cover that goes over the differential sprocket...and, now that the hood is so nice and smooth, he's smoothing out the grill as well.  I was just hoping for a basic paint job, but I think I'm going to get something better than I expected.  It's going to be way too nice to mow my lawn.

He called me tonight to tell me that the white parts were ready for pick-up.  I rushed up for an early Christmas.

So this is what I started with...

IMG_2755.JPG

And this is what came back to me...

IMG_2879.JPG

They're so smooth and shiny that I hate to even mount rubber on them...and the seat looks like it should be hanging on the wall of my garage...I couldn't be happier with the results.  I was reluctant to bother him with this job initially because I figured all of the small pieces would just be such an annoyance...and I suspect they are...but the quality of his work is so good.  I hope this doesn't turn him off of taking my calls in the future...I've got a Jeep that I'm hoping he'll paint next year.

Edited by Hondarider, December 22, 2015 - 08:58 AM.

• Alc, KennyP, cookiemonster and 2 others have said thanks

#98 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted December 21, 2015 - 11:15 PM

Looks great!  I didn't see the shape of the seat before it went to paint. Was it in good shape around the bolt mounts? Mine looked really great then started to crack around the bolt holes when I started using it. Had to go to a seat from central tractor, which sucked... but afterwards I don't regret too much because the stock seat didn't have much back or side to keep my but from wanting to slide off the seat!

Great job.

#99 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted December 22, 2015 - 09:05 AM

Before and after pics of my seat...

After sandblasting in my cabinet

IMG_2753.JPG

After hitting it with a wire wheel

IMG_2754.JPG

After prime and paint

IMG_2883.JPG

Edited by Hondarider, December 22, 2015 - 09:06 AM.

• KennyP and backwoods have said thanks

#100 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted December 22, 2015 - 08:17 PM

After a marathon day of final disassembly and degreasing, I'm finally done! There's nothing left. Everything that can be disassembled has been. It's just a pile of parts. Dave, the painter, is going to be so pissed. Just look at all these tiny parts.

Attached Thumbnails

• image.jpeg

• Alc said thank you

#101 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,739 Thanks
  • 8,913 posts

Posted December 22, 2015 - 08:51 PM

I don't think you're going to make 'customer of the year' in Dave's eyes. Might want to wait on asking about the Jeep for a year. Or two.
  • KennyP and Hondarider have said thanks

#102 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted December 22, 2015 - 09:02 PM

I'm banking on his sentimentality after he reads this thread...or maybe he'll just charge me extra for pain and suffering.
  • Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#103 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted December 25, 2015 - 10:24 PM

The word on the street is that Dave may be shooting some parts for me this weekend. He shot me a couple text messages. I saw a label with the words "Tantalizing Turquoise" on it and this picture...image1.JPG

Edited by Hondarider, December 25, 2015 - 10:25 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#104 centaurdave OFFLINE  

centaurdave

• Member No: 4549
  • 2 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 04:57 PM

I love this article. I too have a t70es that my daughter and I are going to restore. It is hers. What size wheels are on the front of your tractor? I know mine are incorrect. As for engine parts, check out M&D Small Engine.LLC  .They claim that they can meet your parts needs. Thanks in advance, Dave

#105 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted December 26, 2015 - 07:14 PM

My front wheels measure 6 7/8" outside diameter and 3 7/8" wide. I have no idea if they are truly stock. The tires that came off them were 4.10/3.5-6

1226151858.jpg

Edited by Hondarider, December 26, 2015 - 07:33 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: panzer, t70