• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,443 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted October 31, 2015 - 05:13 PM

Small victory...

So my approach to projects in the garage is a little less industrious than Mr. D's...it involves a lot of staring at the task...sitting back...sipping a Corona...staring a little longer...contemplating all the things that can possibly go wrong with my plan...imagining what the engineer who designed it was thinking...how he came to arrive at this specific solution...imagining the mechanical drawings...created by a draftsman in a time when those guys still existed (I haven't met one in nearly 15 years)...sip more beer...stare...think...drink...repeat

I just love machinery.  I've spent more time laying under my cars than anyone else I know.  I just like to lay there and consider all that went into every component location...every weld...every bolt...I'm a dork.

So last night...as I sat and stared at the Panzer... trying to decide where I would start the disassembly...I spied 4 little wing nuts that held the belt shield onto the mower deck.  They were rusted solid onto 12-24 studs.  I estimated that it would be nearly impossible to extract them without breaking off the studs or twisting the ears off of the wing nuts.  CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

I spent last night going out to the garage during commercial breaks from a Halloween movie film marathon...shooting the nuts with PB Blaster...trying to work them back and forth a little bit...and just looking at the tractor.  When I woke this morning, I went out and shot them again before heading out to split firewood all morning.  I came back and shot them again. 

Finally...20 hours after the first soaking...I sat down on the floor and set to working the wing nuts back and forth...ever so slightly...with a pair of needlenose pliers.  After about 30 minutes and 1 Corona...SUCCESS!! 

All 4 nuts removed without breaking a stud or damaging a wingnut.  This is truly a testament to the quality of hardware manufactured 50 years ago.  Nothing made in China would have survived.

This is going to be a long, slow project at this pace.

I like to study my projects also! Get some Acetone and mix it 50/50 with any ATF. Gotta have something with a lid to store it, but it makes rusted bolts come loose so much better! Be sure to shake before using!

• CharlesDes and Hondarider have said thanks

#32 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted October 31, 2015 - 06:05 PM

Be patient about the email. Sometimes it can take Jim a while to get to it. He'd rather use the phone.
We talked over dinner at the Bangor, PA show a couple weeks ago and he said the reverse disc will be out of stock till further notice but he's working on a couple of sources and has been in touch with Bill Janitor about a project he's working on concerning the reverse discs. I'll post info on here under another topic if I hear anything new and encouraging about the discs.

AL

not jump on your post
al please keep us updated on the reverse discs. I did find a place that sells the rubber it's on the pricey side though
I think I said it before but Jim is probably the nicest guy you will ever deal with for tractor parts

Edited by jabelman, October 31, 2015 - 06:06 PM.

#33 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • Member No: 76653
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted October 31, 2015 - 06:30 PM

I like to study my projects also! Get some Acetone and mix it 50/50 with any ATF. Gotta have something with a lid to store it, but it makes rusted bolts come loose so much better! Be sure to shake before using!

Thanks for the tip...I'm all over it!

IMG_2618.JPG

Edited by Hondarider, October 31, 2015 - 06:32 PM.

• backwoods said thank you

#34 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted October 31, 2015 - 06:36 PM

not jump on your post
al please keep us updated on the reverse discs. I did find a place that sells the rubber it's on the pricey side though
I think I said it before but Jim is probably the nicest guy you will ever deal with for tractor parts

I just spoke to Jim on the phone about the reverse discs a week or two ago.  I could kick myself for not buying one years ago when he was selling them for like $27.50.  Mine is not nearly as bad as some that I've seen, but it does have some flat spots.

#35 panzerboy OFFLINE  

panzerboy
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 72541
  • 120 Thanks
  • 64 posts

Posted October 31, 2015 - 06:49 PM

we bought auction a couple years back a nice T70b even though it not a T70es its our nicest mower panzer. I some times use it at shows to show how the pto works. panzers are not hard to find in Maryland buy nice and original  panzers are a dime a dozen. even jim from dandy sales liked it a lot. look at our panzer T707esl you would think they came from one owner.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2215.JPG
  • IMG_2089.JPG

#36 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted October 31, 2015 - 09:46 PM

I'm quite sure that there is a procedure for removing and installing the mowing deck.  I'd love to see it if someone knows it.  In the end, it came off, but my technique was not so elegant.  I am happily surprised that everything turns smoothly and there's no wobble in the shafts for the blades.  The blades don't even have any dings or bends.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2622.JPG

#37 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted October 31, 2015 - 09:51 PM

This took some doing...but now I can really get down to some serious mechanical contemplation with a beer on a Saturday night...with the tractor right at eye level. Please disregard the complete disaster all around the garage...things have been getting away from me lately as I try to prep all my junk for the long winter hibernation.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2623.JPG

• backwoods and panzersarebest have said thanks

#38 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,443 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted November 01, 2015 - 05:24 AM

I'll take that Blue 'junk' behind it!

#39 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted November 01, 2015 - 06:56 AM

I'll take that Blue 'junk' behind it!

That was last winter's project. I tore into it pretty good. There's a thread...of course.

http://www.corvettef...r-planning.html

This year, I hope to just leave it parked in the corner while I play with the Panzer.

Edited by Hondarider, November 01, 2015 - 06:57 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

#40 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted November 01, 2015 - 07:47 PM

Pulled the rear wheels off today. I was shocked by how easily the bolts came out despite every indication that they haven't moved in several decades. I took a minute or two to just sit and admire the quality of the lug bolts. Every thread was pristine and the heads themselves just exude quality. Crisp edges...smooth faces...sharp corners...even after being violently disturbed from their resting places by an impact wrench. Just try that with your brand new Jeep. Remove the lug nuts just once and you'll find rounded corners, scratches, and dings...that's if the cheap chrome cover doesn't fall off all together. I do so love American made quality hardware from the days when America was a manufacturing nation.
  • Alc and backwoods have said thanks

#41 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted November 01, 2015 - 07:59 PM

Paint Scheme Archaeology

After pressure washing the tractor the other day, I've found some evidence that the tractor was repainted at some point. Now I'm playing forensic scientist to uncover the past.

First off, the blue itself does not appear to be the original blue. The original color is much more vibrant and "turquoise-ey". I like it better.

IMG_2628.JPG

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2624.JPG

• Alc said thank you

#42 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted November 01, 2015 - 08:04 PM

It looks like the letters on the grill were originally painted white...so was the carrier for the main shaft...or so it appears.

IMG_2626.JPG

IMG_2627.JPG

• Alc said thank you

#43 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 04:27 PM

Great story. Great tractor. Better invest in a big stick for the boys that will come looking for your daughter though.

• Hondarider said thank you

#44 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • Member No: 53940
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted November 02, 2015 - 08:39 PM

It looks like the letters on the grill were originally painted white...so was the carrier for the main shaft...or so it appears.

attachicon.gifIMG_2626.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_2627.JPG

Yeah - should be white.

#45 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted November 05, 2015 - 08:14 AM

I'm hoping to get down to some significant disassembly this weekend.  I'm just waiting to hear back from a painter about his willingness to take on the job of painting all my little parts.  I suspect I can strip it clean in a Saturday night. 

In the meantime, my daughter's enthusiasm is building.  When I got home from work last night, she gave me this little piece of art with a depiction of her driving the tractor.  These kids of mine are always coveting my stuff.

IMG_2635.jpg IMG_2634.jpg

Apparently, copper foil is her new medium.  Seems like MIG welding might be the next obvious step for her.

Edited by Hondarider, November 05, 2015 - 08:16 AM.

• KennyP said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: panzer, t70