• Please log in to reply
413 replies to this topic

#331 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • Member No: 76653
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted March 13, 2016 - 07:38 AM

Because my drill press is nothing more then an old 1/2" hand drill in a stand mounted on the work bench ( with crap everywhere ) I'm going to make a " chip catcher " too Thanks for the idea

Just be sure to hide it before your friends come over or, to quote Sissy Spacek's crazy-ass mother, "They're all going to laugh at you!!!"

That's been my experience anyway...

Edited by Hondarider, March 13, 2016 - 07:40 AM.

• Alc and UncleWillie have said thanks

#332 Tags OFFLINE  

Tags
  • Member No: 81759
  • 1 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted March 14, 2016 - 04:52 PM

I read through all this the last couple of days....WOW! That's an incredible amount of detail and quality workmanship....glad to see you haven't changed a bit....I'm surprised you ever got over the nickel sized dent in your FJ....;)
  • Hondarider said thank you

#333 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted March 18, 2016 - 07:26 PM

Ever since deciding a few pages back that I need to have a proper belt sander in my humble shop, I've been on a mission to find one. I've been scouring Craigslist like it was my job; searching all of the Northeast 10 times per day. I came close to a Delta-Rockwell near Boston for $375, but it was gone within hours. I saw a Grizzly down in southern CT, but it escaped my grasp. I've become Ahab and this has become my White Whale (too dramatic?)

So anyhow...when I woke up this morning, there was a Craigslist search result email in my in-box. A belt sander fitting my general description had been sighted in Clifton Park, NY; an hour and a half from my home. The description was relatively generic and it was of unknown manufacturer, but I've grown weary of the pursuit and I just wanted to put an end to the madness. The price was reasonable so I took a shot and emailed the seller. I heard from a gentleman named Harry a couple hours later and the arrangements were made for a viewing.

The joy I feel when I take to the road in search of a potential Craigslist conquest is well documented, and today was no different. With a wad of cash in the exact amount of the asking price in my pocket, I took to the road...right in the middle of some sort of ice storm. However, with the Joe Walsh channel from Pandora pumping out of the speakers and a Mountain Dew in the console, my spirits were high. After meeting Chet a couple weeks ago while pursuing a Bridgeport motor, I was looking forward to meeting the seller...he's a guy with a belt sander in his garage...he must be OK.

Following Harry's detailed directions, I made the hour and a half drive in 85 minutes and found the address with no problem. As I pulled up the long gravel driveway, my pulse quickened. On the left, a handsome colonial house with attached 2 car garage and newish looking cars in the drive...but on the right...oh boy...a large, equally tidy, detached garage...2 stories tall...maybe 30' x 60'...with a couple antique gas pumps outside. Like a Jedi, I could sense the presence of "the Force". There was a gearhead nearby...an automotive enthusiast of some sort...someone with enough cool stuff going on that the 2 car garage attached to the house couldn't possibly get it done. Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh boy!

Trying my best to not look like a serial killer, I approached the front door of the house and was greeted by a cheerful woman who intercepted me via the garage. I inquired about Harry and she said "oh, he's in the garage grinding...he can't hear anything" That's a good sign. I can respect a guy who's grinding just about anything in the garage on a Friday afternoon. She led me to the door and then inside...

Like a soldier who suddenly finds himself in a firefight that he wasn't expecting, I was immediately disoriented by sensory overload. My brain dimmed momentarily like the lights in your shop when your compressor starts up. There was simply too much stimuli for me to process. I turned around, went back to the truck to get my camera phone, wiped the drool from my mouth, and attempted to regain my composure.

Back inside...Harry was just coming out of the paint booth (yeah, like a full sized paint booth with a truck inside)to greet me. Introductions and hearty handshake completed, I could hardly contain my enthusiasm. I peppered the poor guy with question after question...none of them related to the belt sander...

The place was like Disneyland. Walls covered in more petrobilia than any episode of American Pickers you've ever seen...giant gas station signs...vintage tools...gas and oil cans...antique oil lanterns...and so many other things that I'd need a full day to document it all. I couldn't take it all in due to the fact that I was standing face to face with a full size truck chassis sans body on the left, a hardtop Chevelle project in the center, and a pristine 1970 Chevelle SS ragtop on the right. Stunning.

All around the periphery of the room...Bridgeport...lathe...drill press...giant band saw...welders...work benches...and so much more. Behind the cars...like some sort of giant trophy...a gold '32 Ford sitting atop a 4 post lift...1800 square feet of flat out awesomeness. I was ready to move in.

If the surroundings weren't sufficient, Harry was a great guy. He entertained all of my questions, showed me around the shop, and let me ogle all his stuff. He showed me the freshly TIG welded exhaust that he had just fabbed up for the Deuce...he showed me the paint job he had laid down on the SS (nicer than the paint on my Corvette)...we talked phase converters...he told me about extracting his Bridgeport from a widow's basement...and on and on. I'd still be there right now if I didn't think I was keeping him from some other activities. I've definitely got to start showing up with a cooler and a cold 6 pack when I go on these trips...

Much sooner than I would have liked, we arrived at the belt sander...the least interesting object in the garage at this point. It was just as described and ran just fine so I handed over the asking price. Harry actually told me to give him $20 less to offset the travel. That's quite a gesture for a guy with a list of other buyers.

So...after all that...here's the new addition to the shop...it's a bit smaller than I was hoping for, but I think it will get the job done for a while.

IMG_3402.JPG IMG_3403.JPG
  • KennyP and backwoods have said thanks

#334 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted March 18, 2016 - 07:48 PM

I have been to a couple of those shops where I wanted to stay. Nice sander. 

#335 Chris11 ONLINE  

Chris11

old Member

• Member No: 1601
  • 1,626 Thanks
  • 944 posts

Posted March 18, 2016 - 07:53 PM

Ever since deciding a few pages back that I need to have a proper belt sander in my humble shop, I've been on a mission to find one. I've been scouring Craigslist like it was my job; searching all of the Northeast 10 times per day. I came close to a Delta-Rockwell near Boston for $375, but it was gone within hours. I saw a Grizzly down in southern CT, but it escaped my grasp. I've become Ahab and this has become my White Whale (too dramatic?)

So anyhow...when I woke up this morning, there was a Craigslist search result email in my in-box. A belt sander fitting my general description had been sighted in Clifton Park, NY; an hour and a half from my home. The description was relatively generic and it was of unknown manufacturer, but I've grown weary of the pursuit and I just wanted to put an end to the madness. The price was reasonable so I took a shot and emailed the seller. I heard from a gentleman named Harry a couple hours later and the arrangements were made for a viewing.

The joy I feel when I take to the road in search of a potential Craigslist conquest is well documented, and today was no different. With a wad of cash in the exact amount of the asking price in my pocket, I took to the road...right in the middle of some sort of ice storm. However, with the Joe Walsh channel from Pandora pumping out of the speakers and a Mountain Dew in the console, my spirits were high. After meeting Chet a couple weeks ago while pursuing a Bridgeport motor, I was looking forward to meeting the seller...he's a guy with a belt sander in his garage...he must be OK.

Following Harry's detailed directions, I made the hour and a half drive in 85 minutes and found the address with no problem. As I pulled up the long gravel driveway, my pulse quickened. On the left, a handsome colonial house with attached 2 car garage and newish looking cars in the drive...but on the right...oh boy...a large, equally tidy, detached garage...2 stories tall...maybe 30' x 60'...with a couple antique gas pumps outside. Like a Jedi, I could sense the presence of "the Force". There was a gearhead nearby...an automotive enthusiast of some sort...someone with enough cool stuff going on that the 2 car garage attached to the house couldn't possibly get it done. Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh boy!

Trying my best to not look like a serial killer, I approached the front door of the house and was greeted by a cheerful woman who intercepted me via the garage. I inquired about Harry and she said "oh, he's in the garage grinding...he can't hear anything" That's a good sign. I can respect a guy who's grinding just about anything in the garage on a Friday afternoon. She led me to the door and then inside...

Like a soldier who suddenly finds himself in a firefight that he wasn't expecting, I was immediately disoriented by sensory overload. My brain dimmed momentarily like the lights in your shop when your compressor starts up. There was simply too much stimuli for me to process. I turned around, went back to the truck to get my camera phone, wiped the drool from my mouth, and attempted to regain my composure.

Back inside...Harry was just coming out of the paint booth (yeah, like a full sized paint booth with a truck inside)to greet me. Introductions and hearty handshake completed, I could hardly contain my enthusiasm. I peppered the poor guy with question after question...none of them related to the belt sander...

The place was like Disneyland. Walls covered in more petrobilia than any episode of American Pickers you've ever seen...giant gas station signs...vintage tools...gas and oil cans...antique oil lanterns...and so many other things that I'd need a full day to document it all. I couldn't take it all in due to the fact that I was standing face to face with a full size truck chassis sans body on the left, a hardtop Chevelle project in the center, and a pristine 1970 Chevelle SS ragtop on the right. Stunning.

All around the periphery of the room...Bridgeport...lathe...drill press...giant band saw...welders...work benches...and so much more. Behind the cars...like some sort of giant trophy...a gold '32 Ford sitting atop a 4 post lift...1800 square feet of flat out awesomeness. I was ready to move in.

If the surroundings weren't sufficient, Harry was a great guy. He entertained all of my questions, showed me around the shop, and let me ogle all his stuff. He showed me the freshly TIG welded exhaust that he had just fabbed up for the Deuce...he showed me the paint job he had laid down on the SS (nicer than the paint on my Corvette)...we talked phase converters...he told me about extracting his Bridgeport from a widow's basement...and on and on. I'd still be there right now if I didn't think I was keeping him from some other activities. I've definitely got to start showing up with a cooler and a cold 6 pack when I go on these trips...

Much sooner than I would have liked, we arrived at the belt sander...the least interesting object in the garage at this point. It was just as described and ran just fine so I handed over the asking price. Harry actually told me to give him $20 less to offset the travel. That's quite a gesture for a guy with a list of other buyers.

So...after all that...here's the new addition to the shop...it's a bit smaller than I was hoping for, but I think it will get the job done for a while.

attachicon.gifIMG_3402.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_3403.JPG

Oh so you picked up a belt sander.

• KennyP and Hondarider have said thanks

#336 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted March 18, 2016 - 07:57 PM

I have been to a couple of those shops where I wanted to stay. Nice sander.

Thanks. It's straight out of the Harbor Freight catalog, but I suspect it will get the job done for a while. I figure that, if I ever find my dream Delta, I can probably sell this one for the same money that I bought it for.

#337 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted March 18, 2016 - 07:58 PM

Oh so you picked up a belt sander.

You sir, are a gifted and succinct storyteller.
  • Chris11 said thank you

#338 Chris11 ONLINE  

Chris11

old Member

• 1,626 Thanks
  • 944 posts

Posted March 18, 2016 - 08:03 PM

You sir, are a gifted and succinct storyteller.

Do you sell cars for a living? lol

#339 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted March 18, 2016 - 08:07 PM

Great story and nice sander!

• Chris11 and Hondarider have said thanks

#340 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted March 18, 2016 - 08:11 PM

No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I did actually paint and mount a part this week. I just need to do a bit more grinding and drilling on my angle brackets so that I can mount the tin and get back to the assembly process. Unfortunately, it might be time to park my winter projects and focus on summer toys instead. You'll have to wait 6 months to hear my epic tales of menial tasks.

IMG_3401.JPG
  • KennyP said thank you

#341 Chris11 ONLINE  

Chris11

old Member

• 1,626 Thanks
  • 944 posts

Posted March 19, 2016 - 07:59 AM

The tool box also doesn't fit very good sitting on the spring. If you tighten the bolts it will bend the box too

Attached Thumbnails

• 176_zpsd1ee08ce.jpg
  • 178_zps290d55aa.jpg

#342 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted March 19, 2016 - 08:29 AM

You didn't imagine that I would overlook that, did you? I'm hurt.

IMG_3404.JPG IMG_3405.JPG

I made another spacer to make sure that the tool box wouldn't be deformed when everything gets tightened.
  • KennyP and backwoods have said thanks

#343 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted March 19, 2016 - 02:02 PM

I have been making a mental note of the modification to you Panzer for future reference when I rebuild my tractor. 

• jpackard56 and Hondarider have said thanks

#344 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted March 19, 2016 - 07:58 PM

Now that I finally got myself a proper belt sander, I could finally finish the 2 angle brackets that I've been farting around with for months. A quick shot of primer, some overnight dry time, and they'll be ready for paint in the morning. I'm pretty happy with them.

IMG_3408.JPG IMG_3407.JPG

They're certainly beefier than what was on there.

IMG_3410.JPG
  • Chris11, jpackard56 and backwoods have said thanks

#345 Chris11 ONLINE  

Chris11

old Member

• 1,626 Thanks
  • 944 posts

Posted March 19, 2016 - 09:32 PM

Now that I finally got myself a proper belt sander, I could finally finish the 2 angle brackets that I've been farting around with for months. A quick shot of primer, some overnight dry time, and they'll be ready for paint in the morning. I'm pretty happy with them.

attachicon.gifIMG_3408.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_3407.JPG

They're certainly beefier than what was on there.

attachicon.gifIMG_3410.JPG

you drilled them and got them test fitted on one page. They look great. lol

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: panzer, t70