• Please log in to reply
413 replies to this topic

#316 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • Member No: 76653
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 05:08 PM

After wasting away an entire weekend without drilling so much as a single hole, I took Wednesday off to get after it.  With my vise squared up and plenty of cutting fluid at my disposal, I set my references and set to drilling.

IMG_3354.JPG

Unfortunately, I immediately starting flinging chips and razor sharp coils of steel all over the garage...where my kids walk around in their bare feet and my dog likes to stroll.  I guess this is not exactly your typical machine shop environment.

I stop again to regroup and consider methods to reduce the spread of debris...

The wife's toothbrush isn't going to help this time, but...I wonder if she'll miss some Tupperware

IMG_3355.JPG

If you're an actual machinist, I apologize wholeheartedly for this.  If I were to try this in a real shop, I'd be coated in DYKEM Tool Die and chased out of the shop with a fork truck, but here in the privacy of my garage, it worked perfectly.

IMG_3356.JPG

I'm ashamed.  I wonder how long my wife will go before she notices.

Edited by Hondarider, March 11, 2016 - 05:09 PM.

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#317 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 05:12 PM

My buddy, Bob, who has spent most of his career in machine shops, was disgusted by my "chip catcher"...even resorting to hurtful slurs about my sexuality. LOL.
  • MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#318 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 05:24 PM

By close of business Wednesday...with a labor cost of labor at somewhere around $3000...my 4 holes were drilled and tapped.

IMG_3360.JPG

Now I can actually get to telling folks what I'm planning for this little chunk of sculpture.

IMG_3362.JPG
  • KennyP said thank you

#319 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 05:39 PM

Incidentally, after hours of prep work, I dropped my collet holder off at the machine shop to get welded by the resident TIG guru.  After I came out of the shop, I decide to Google "Bridgeport collet rack" just to see how much they cost.  As it turns out, you can buy one on-line for $20-$25.  The shop rate for the welder is probably $60-$75/hr and I had already sunk a couple hours into it myself.

That was looking like a losing proposition.

Fortunately, I stopped up there today and he hadn't gotten to it yet.  I told him how much I could buy one for and he told me to just take it home with me.  I know I should throw it away and just buy another one, but it just feels wrong.  I hate the idea of a disposable society where it's cheaper to just buy new Chinese stuff instead of fixing what you've got.  I probably would have paid him $50 to weld it instead of just throwing it away.  I'd be putting money into the local economy and preserving a piece of vintage American hardware.

I still might fix it...maybe some J.B. Weld

$_57.jpg

Edited by Hondarider, March 11, 2016 - 05:42 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#320 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 06:37 PM

You know by the time you have this Panzer restored you will have an entirely new shop.

• Chris11 and Hondarider have said thanks

#321 Chris11 OFFLINE  

Chris11

old Member

• Member No: 1601
  • 1,626 Thanks
  • 944 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 07:12 PM

You know by the time you have this Panzer restored you will have an entirely new shop.

Theres a Panzer involved? LOL

• MH81 said thank you

#322 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 07:22 PM

That is a happy byproduct of this particular project.  It sure is slowing me down though.

#323 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 08:49 PM

Back to the regularly scheduled Panzer project...

I've mentioned previously that I'm not a fan of the relationship between the rear tin, the battery tray, the seat spring, and the tool box.  To that end, I think I have a decent modification that will provide a solid rear contact point for the tin while isolating it from the tray and the spring...no metal on metal contact.

Instead of simply thru-bolting all the pieces in the rear, I'm opting to offset the seat spring, battery tray, and toolbox to the rear for improved clearance.

IMG_3372.JPG

I've added rubber edge material to isolate metal from metal

IMG_3373.JPG

The spacer was cut to mimic the profile of the battery tray

IMG_3374.JPG

You can't tell by looking at it, but the battery tray sits slightly above the tin now and there's no contact

IMG_3375.JPG

#324 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 09:18 PM

The added height and the shift rearward now keeps the seat spring from contacting the tin.

IMG_3377.JPG

IMG_3378.JPG

• KennyP said thank you

#325 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted March 12, 2016 - 06:23 PM

The modified seat spring mount look good.

The clearance between all the parts looks like it should have been made that way to begin with. 

• Hondarider said thank you

#326 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted March 12, 2016 - 06:30 PM

The modified seat spring mount look good.

The clearance between all the parts looks like it should have been made that way to begin with. 

Thank you sir!  I know that it's not 100% factory accurate, but I just couldn't bring myself to wedge all these freshly painted parts back together again.  When it's done, I don't expect anyone will notice my modifications, but I'll feel better about it.

• KennyP said thank you

#327 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted March 12, 2016 - 06:42 PM

I did some actual Panzer work today...in between school science projects and some chores. I still haven't found the heavy duty belt sander that I'm looking for, but you know what they say about necessity being the ugly step sister to duct tape...or something like that.

I needed to whip up some new brackets to tie my tin to the frame, but these lack the sophistication that that one equates with the Panzer name [chuckle]

IMG_3317.JPG

I wanted to at least put a radius on them, so I thought I had a plausible excuse to buy one of these...

6293-A.jpg

Instead, I ended up with this...

IMG_3381.JPG

Here's the moment just before I sanded the tips right off my fingers...

IMG_3382.JPG

And now the final product...

IMG_3383.JPG

Unfortunately for Chris11, I'll now need to spend the next several weeks agonizing over the 2 holes that I need to drill in each bracket.
  • MH81 and KennyP have said thanks

#328 Chris11 OFFLINE  

Chris11

old Member

• Member No: 1601
  • 1,626 Thanks
  • 944 posts

Posted March 12, 2016 - 08:07 PM

I did some actual Panzer work today...in between school science projects and some chores. I still haven't found the heavy duty belt sander that I'm looking for, but you know what they say about necessity being the ugly step sister to duct tape...or something like that.

I needed to whip up some new brackets to tie my tin to the frame, but these lack the sophistication that that one equates with the Panzer name [chuckle]

attachicon.gifIMG_3317.JPG

I wanted to at least put a radius on them, so I thought I had a plausible excuse to buy one of these...

attachicon.gif6293-A.jpg

Instead, I ended up with this...

attachicon.gifIMG_3381.JPG

Here's the moment just before I sanded the tips right off my fingers...

attachicon.gifIMG_3382.JPG

And now the final product...

attachicon.gifIMG_3383.JPG

Unfortunately for Chris11, I'll now need to spend the next several weeks agonizing over the 2 holes that I need to drill in each bracket.

LMAO

#329 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted March 12, 2016 - 11:07 PM

Hey I have a sander just like that one. It rips my fingers off too. 

#330 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,624 posts

Posted March 13, 2016 - 05:48 AM

Because my drill press is nothing more then an old 1/2" hand drill in a stand mounted on the work bench ( with crap everywhere ) I'm going to make a " chip catcher " too Thanks for the idea

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: panzer, t70