• Please log in to reply
413 replies to this topic

#301 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • Member No: 76653
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 01:17 PM

Once committed to the idea of holes, it was time to actually execute said holes. Sure, I could have grabbed a hand drill, a punch, half a dozen drill bits, and a 1/2-13 tap...and I could have knocked out those holes in 30 minutes on a Friday afternoon...but if you've learned anything about me in the last 1000 words or so...you'd know that's not my way.

I'm going to have to take the looooooooong way round.

Step 1 to drilling 4 holes in a block of steel - get yourself a Bridgeport.

Now, I know what you're thinking...isn't a Bridgeport a little overkill for drilling 4 holes in a small block of steel? Wouldn't that drill press in the corner do the same job?

IMG_3364.JPG

To which I'd say, "Sure, if you're an animal which cares nothing for precision and attention to the most meaningless, insignificant detail"

That's not me.
  • KennyP said thank you

#302 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 01:28 PM

Still riding high on the recent procurement of a new motor for my milling machine, I was excited about the possibility of using it to do actual work. I inspected the machine to size up the job.

After searching high and low for a set of parallels, I was prepared to throw the block of steel in the vice for some drilling, but I found myself in this situation.

IMG_3326.JPG

No amount of table movement was going to put the vice under the head where I wanted it.

Was the vice on backwards?

Did something shrink?

WTF?

#303 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 01:36 PM

More standing around...a liberal helping of deep contemplation...maybe some beer to loosen up the old brain cells...

What was I looking at?

Ahhhhh...I got it! Now I remember. Many years ago...while the Bridgeport was out of service and just hanging around in my garage...I was looking to maximize available floor space in the garage.

To that end, I had cranked the ram of the milling machine all the way forward so that I might slide the base back as close to the wall as possible. It saved me a couple square feet of garage space, but it put the milling head in a useless position...well in front of the table.

IMG_3327.JPG

Simple enough. I'd just have to move the unit away from the wall and then slide the head ram backwards.

#304 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 01:48 PM

Now the last time I moved this silly monster by myself, I herniated 2 discs and spent a year or two with chronic pain. I'd have to work smarter and not harder this time.

Time for the strap!

IMG_3330.JPG

With my 4Runner backed up to the garage door, I ran across the street to make my neighbor an offer that he couldn't possibly decline.

IMG_3329.JPG

"Hey Travis...how would you like to take part in something that has the potential to go terribly awry?"

"Sure, let me put on my shoes"

(heehee...dumb things are even better when you have a witness)
  • KennyP and UncleWillie have said thanks

#305 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 01:55 PM

Back to the garage for the safety meeting...

OK...so...that chalk line on the floor...that's where we want to move it to...12 inches...easy-peasy...I'll pull forward...just give me a shout when we reach the line...

IMG_3328.JPG

#306 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 02:12 PM

Moments later...engine revving...30 feet of strap stretching...no movement on the Bridgeport...Travis saying something like "Little bit more"

More throttle...louder revving...more stretching...still no movement..."A little more"

[Now what was that lesson in school about static friction over kinetic friction?]

More throttle...more revving...more stretching...no movement..."A little more?"

[I'm almost sure that there was something about static friction being greater than kinetic friction.  I wonder how that applies here]

More throttle...more revving...more stretching...no movement...look of veiled terror on Travis' face

[I'm sure there's a physics lesson in here somewhere.  Not exactly sure what it is, but I'm sure it will become apparent any second now]

More throttle...more revving..."whoa...whoa!...Whoa!...WHOA!...WHOOOOOOOAAAAAA!"...as the Bridgeport lunges 3 feet forward from its resting spot and Travis hangs off the side of it....trying to slow it down...

[There it is!  I knew there was a lesson in there somewhere about stored energy and a sudden reduction in friction.  I hope he isn't dead.  His wife will be terribly displeased}

#307 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 02:23 PM

After a quick inventory of fingers, toes, and other appendages, all seemed well with the world...aside from overshooting our target by about 3 feet.  Fortunately, I have a set of rollers (steel pipes cut to length) specifically made for moving the behemoth.  I threw a pry bar under the base while Travis installed the rollers.  Moments later, we were rolling that big fat beastie like Egyptian slaves building the pyramids.

Once in place, Travis made his exit and I was ready to start drilling holes.  This was Saturday around noon.

#308 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 02:47 PM

I loosened the bolts that lock the ram in place, grabbed the lever that moves it in and out, and then moved the ram rearward to align the cutting head with the vise. Well...that's what I was going to do anyway. Unfortunately, the ram would not move...not at all...not the slightest amount. It was frozen in place.

More contemplation...a quick Internet search...a liberal dose of PB Blaster (boy, does that stuff stink!)...some gentle rapping with a deadblow hammer. No movement.

I removed the crank assembly and sprayed more PB Blaster in the hole...slightly more forceful rapping with the deadblow hammer...still nothing.

As the minutes turn to hours, the hammers get bigger and the force employed gradually increases from gentle rapping to full blown "John Belushi Samurai Delicatessan" insanity

By 8:00PM Saturday night, I was swinging that big boy with everything I had...sweat pouring off me as I employed a running start ala Happy Gilmore

IMG_3368.JPG

I had decimated a stack of 2x4s and moved up to pressure treated 4x4...I employed a ratchet strap that was dangerously close to its breaking point in hopes of maintaining constant tension...an entire can of PB Blaster...and still I kept swinging away like an old time lumberjack taking down a Sequoia.

IMG_3332.JPG

Somewhere around 10:00PM, in a fit of sweaty rage, I hit it with everything I had...it moved about 1/4"

#309 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 02:59 PM

Sunday morning...a beautiful day for drilling holes...maybe...

Once the ram broke loose, it didn't take too much effort to get things loose and lubed up again.  I was back in business.  Of course, in my typical OCD fashion, I couldn't simply reinstall the cranking mechanism, I had to clean out all the old crusty grease, polish everything on the lathe, and then apply a fresh coat to everything.  It's working better than new now.

IMG_3334.JPG

#310 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 03:35 PM

Now this is where my particular brand of mental illness really starts to shine...

The ram is loose...the head is aligned with the vise...I've got the parallels...it's time to get drilling.

But wait...I should probably square up the vice with the dial indicator...

Now where is that dial indicator...

Here's a box of machining stuff...

Here's an indicator...but now I need a Jacobs chuck to hold it...

Another box of machining stuff...

Oh look, collets!

Now, I don't know about you, but when faced with a box full of sized parts like collets, I simply must sort them all by size and line them up...which I did...for a good 20 minutes

Once I sorted the collets, it occurred to me that they would probably get all messed up again as soon as I put them in the box...if only I had something to keep them in order...a rack of some sort...wait, I have a rack somewhere...more digging around the garage...and voila!...a collet rack!

Keep in mind that the weekend is nearly over and I'm really supposed to be drilling holes by this point...

Collet rack in hand and I'm preparing to mount it on the side of the Bridgeport when I remember why it wasn't on there to begin with.  I had dropped it a few years ago and it broke in 2 places.  I really should get that welded up.  Maybe I'll drop it off at the welder's this week.  Although...

It looks a little crappy...I don't really want the welder to think that I don't take care of my stuff...maybe I'll sandblast it first...

An hour of sandblasting later...

That's much better, but I don't really like the finish...maybe I should polish it a bit...

An hour of wire brushing and polishing later...

That looks good enough to drop off at the welder's...

IMG_3369.JPG

Now what was I doing?

• KennyP said thank you

#311 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 04:01 PM

With the collet rack out of the way, I can finally get back to the task at hand...squaring up the vise.  Now I'm no machinist, but I do have a rudimentary understanding of geometry...so I concoct a set up that I think will do the trick.

IMG_3339.JPG

My first pass across the vise indicates a variation of more than .020" from end to end.  Completely unacceptable!  That's like 1/50th of an inch across 6 inches.  I can't possibly be expected to drill my holes with something that far out of whack.  What am I...a caveman?

#312 Chris11 ONLINE  

Chris11

old Member

• Member No: 1601
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 04:06 PM

And hows the panzer

Edited by Chris11, March 11, 2016 - 04:06 PM.

#313 Chris11 ONLINE  

Chris11

old Member

• Member No: 1601
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 04:13 PM

http://www.bing.com/...026&FORM=VRDGAR

#314 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 04:19 PM

...and that's why yellow makes me sad, I think.  I was looking to convey a "mind-numbing waste of time".  Apparently, I nailed it!

HeeHee...yeah, there's a Panzer in there somewhere...I'm so close to actually working on it...I can almost taste it...if I could just drill a couple stupid holes...

Edited by Hondarider, March 11, 2016 - 04:35 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#315 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 04:32 PM

For the sake of expediency, let's just say that I spent all Sunday afternoon and evening cranking the cross-feed handle back and forth about 3000 times...making teeny tiny adjustments to the vise at each end of the travel...

crank, crank, crank...measure...tap, tap, tap...crank, crank, crank...measure...tap, tap, tap...so on and so on until I've got blisters and some sort of repetitive motion disorder...

In the end, I managed to achieve .0005" across 6 inches of travel...my holes are going to be 2" apart...I think I might be close enough to get it done.

IMG_3338.JPG IMG_3337.JPG

• MH81 said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: panzer, t70