UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted February 22, 2016 - 09:02 PM

You can't beat 50 rounds. I think my Crossman 760 holds like 200. The pumping gets old after a while. 

• Alc said thank you

#287 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • Member No: 76653
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 06:59 PM

Knowing that I need to do a bit of fabrication to correct a couple things that I don't like about the original design, I've been scouring Craigslist for about a week in search of a belt sander.  Now that I've got the lathe and the milling machine squared away, I'd really like to find a sander to round out the shop.  What I'd really like is a Delta-Rockwell like the one I had in my old shop.

6293-A.jpg

I could have taken it with me when we closed the doors, but it was 550VAC/3 phase and I didn't have a lot of storage space at my house.  Had I known how hard it would be to find another one of that quality, I would have replaced the motor and found a place to store it.  In a moment of abject ignorance, I let it go to the scrap yard.

Sadly, my search only uncovered one unit...2.5 hours away from my house...and it was gone before I could even hit the road with a pocket full of cash.

Instead, I cobbed something up in my backyard...

IMG_3295.JPG

• Alc said thank you

#288 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 07:15 PM

As I assembled the tail end of the Panzer, I wasn't happy with the relationship between the sheet metal chain cover, the battery tray, the seat leaf spring, and the tool box.  There's a lot of rubbing and bending and scratching and pinching.  Now that may sound like a rockin' good Saturday night with Amber Heard, but it's no way for freshly painted parts to interact with one another.

I've spent the requisite couple weeks staring at the problem...I've picked up some flat steel bar in various widths and thicknesses...and today I was ready to get after it.  I'm a little ashamed to say that I spent most of the day cutting, welding, and grinding...just to end up with this little paper weight...

IMG_3299.JPG

IMG_3301.JPG

Edited by Hondarider, February 28, 2016 - 07:18 PM.

#289 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 07:29 PM

I still have to drill some holes in it and paint it, but the mock-up seems to address my concerns.  The rear edge of the sprocket cover rests at just the right height to provide clearance for the left implement lever and the battery plate sits just above it...not making contact at all...though I may add a piece of plastic edge protector to the front edge of the battery plate just for safe measure.

IMG_3303.JPG

IMG_3307.JPG

IMG_3313.JPG

The additional altitude also means that the leaf spring will no longer rub on the cover.

IMG_3312.JPG

Edited by Hondarider, February 28, 2016 - 07:32 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#290 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 07:37 PM

Next comes a 3" wide spacer for the tool box to prevent it from rubbing on the leaf spring.

IMG_3314.JPG

It will need paint, of course...

IMG_3316.JPG

IMG_3315.JPG

Edited by Hondarider, February 28, 2016 - 07:50 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#291 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 07:41 PM

I really wanted the belt sander so that I could put a nice radius on these brackets. The don't look very good with square edges. I'll have to keep shopping.

IMG_3317.JPG

#292 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 07:55 PM

Another 50+ degree February day in New England. It doesn't make any sense, but I'll take advantage of the opportunity for some spray painting. The collars for aligning the right lever to ensure positive engagement of forward and reverse.

IMG_3318.JPG
  • Cat385B said thank you

#293 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,691 Thanks
  • 8,886 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 08:18 PM

It's really hard to describe that as 'beefy' and 'simple' when it looks so darn nice.  :smiley-score010:

#294 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted February 28, 2016 - 11:54 PM

Nice engineering.

#295 Clint OFFLINE  

Clint

• Member No: 8265
  • 412 Thanks
  • 294 posts

Posted March 05, 2016 - 03:26 AM

Another 50+ degree February day in New England. It doesn't make any sense, but I'll take advantage of the opportunity for some spray painting. The collars for aligning the right lever to ensure positive engagement of forward and reverse.

attachicon.gifIMG_3318.JPG

If anyone has a rusted or bent shaft or their collars are broken or stripped from overtightening, these seem to work quite well. No disassembly required on the shift lever arm!

Copy and paste this into ebay.

3/4 SINGLE SPLIT SHAFT COLLAR BLACK OXIDE 3/4" 1 PIECE CLAMP COLLAR-USBB

collar 1.jpg

collar 2.jpg

• Alc said thank you

#296 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,377 Thanks
  • 39,645 posts

Posted March 05, 2016 - 05:42 AM

If anyone has a rusted or bent shaft or their collars are broken or stripped from overtightening, these seem to work quite well. No disassembly required on the shift lever arm!

Copy and paste this into ebay.

3/4 SINGLE SPLIT SHAFT COLLAR BLACK OXIDE 3/4" 1 PIECE CLAMP COLLAR-USBB

attachicon.gifcollar 1.jpg

attachicon.gifcollar 2.jpg

Ace hardware carries those here!

• Alc and Clint have said thanks

#297 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted March 05, 2016 - 11:23 AM

Those are pretty slick. I've never seen those before. Getting those collars off of my boogered up shaft required many whacks with the 5lb sledge. Then I had to file and polish the shaft and hit the I.D. Of the collars with a Dremel.

I apologize for the delay in Panzer progress, but I have been temporarily sidetracked by my daughter's science fair project. I think I probably enjoy these more than she does (I hope I get an A). She's doing the work...I'm just providing the hardware. Any guesses on what scientific principle she's going to demonstrate?

image.jpeg

#298 the peej OFFLINE  

the peej
  • Member No: 80602
  • 0 Thanks
  • 1 posts

Posted March 09, 2016 - 08:51 AM

Fig-19-Series-of-Pulleys.jpg

Block and tackle?

#299 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted March 10, 2016 - 02:33 PM

Fig-19-Series-of-Pulleys.jpg
Block and tackle?

You, sir, are smarter than you look. ( ;

IMG_3335.JPG

#300 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted March 11, 2016 - 01:01 PM

Short Attention Span Theater

When I last checked in, I had fabricated a spacer and I was pondering how I might integrate it into the Panzer. At first, I thought that all I needed were 2 simple holes spaced 2" apart. Then after some long deliberation and test fitting, I decided I would need 4 threaded holes instead; altering the original design of the tractor just a bit.

I probably spent 3 days just mocking up parts and wondering if my alteration might have some undesired consequence elsewhere...reducing spring tension on the implement arm...causing interference between painted parts...lifting the hood to some strange angle. In the end, I was fairly confident that my small change would only pay positive dividends and no ill effects. I was committed to making holes.

IMG_3344.JPG

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: panzer, t70