jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 07:44 AM

Great story, beautiful daughter, neat old tractor. You, sir, are a lucky man.

Can't say it any better :thumbs:

Is it possible he turned the fenders that way so his boot heals didn't catch when operating brakes ? I have seen several Panzers with the fenders mounted that way.

• oldedeeres and Hondarider have said thanks

#18 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • Member No: 76653
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 07:48 AM

Can't say it any better :thumbs:

Is it possible he turned the fenders that way so his boot heals didn't catch when operating brakes ? I have seen several Panzers with the fenders mounted that way.

I do recall it having something to do with interference for his legs, but the boot heel makes perfect sense.  Of course, it seems like the dirt/grass would have been flung against the backs of your calves in this configuration.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#19 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 908 Thanks
  • 659 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 08:26 AM

Such a wonderful story, and beautifully told. I was so fortunate to grow up in a mechanical environment. It's a gift that gives to this day. Those men from then, most passed now, still live in my memory vividly. I wish I could thank them for all they did for me, largely without knowing.

Panzers are a different animal, and it was a memorable day when I got my T75. I wish you and your daughter much fun and time together bringing the old girl back. More memories made. Thanks for sharing :thumbs:

• oldedeeres and Hondarider have said thanks

#20 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,715 Thanks
  • 868 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 06:15 PM

GREAT STORY!!! thanks for sharing, you lucky dog!

• Hondarider said thank you

#21 Kurtee OFFLINE  

Kurtee

• Member No: 7561
  • 463 Thanks
  • 415 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 06:39 PM

I too say that is a great story. Make it pretty and functional with the help of the young lady in the picture. Memories in the making. Thanks for sharing. KURTEE

#22 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 06:54 PM

I find myself surfing Craigslist tonight in search of a painter.  I have a sandblaster that's large enough for nearly all of the Panzer parts, but my cramped garage doesn't really allow for a makeshift paint booth.  Not unless I'm going to accept overspray on all of my other toys.  Besides, I'm not a very good painter.  I've never met a piece of steel that I couldn't cover in orange peel.  I imagine the tough part will be finding someone willing to take on such a tiny job.

#23 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 10:20 PM

That was one of the best written stories I have read on a forum in some time.  As has been previously expressed, it held my attention from the beginning to the end with ease.  

To have found Mr. D's Panzer is a lesson in fate.  I am so happy you have it.  I am also glad that you learned that your daughter is knowledgeable about the machine.  Who knows where that will go.

Thank you for a "GOOD" experience.  It was a privilege.   I thank you sir.

• Bmerf and Hondarider have said thanks

#24 JBRamsey ONLINE  

JBRamsey
  • Member No: 61995
  • 971 Thanks
  • 586 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 10:28 PM

Ask around and you can find someone to spray it. I wouldn't blindly go,to someone on Craigslist.

#25 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • Member No: 53940
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted October 31, 2015 - 07:58 AM

I remember Mark telling me that he had reversed the fenders for some reason all those years ago. I have no idea why. I'll be going back to the stock placement if I can get them straightened out. They're a little cracked and twisted. I wonder if Dandy carries replacements.

Yeah - Dandy Sales has replacement fenders for that tractor.I'm pretty sure he was getting reproduction hoods and fenders made up a while ago, plus he has a fair amount of good used ones.

Tell him Big AL sent ya. :smilewink:

#26 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,561 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted October 31, 2015 - 08:13 AM

Whew was that a lot of reading, but VERY much a great read!  I am so glad you found Mr D's old Panzer!  And by the sound of things, Mr D thought a lot more of you than you could ever realize way back then, but you surely realize that today.  Thanks so much for sharing!

#27 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted October 31, 2015 - 10:36 AM

Ask around and you can find someone to spray it. I wouldn't blindly go,to someone on Craigslist.

LOL.  That's not bad advice, but I have met a couple guys via Craigslist that turned out to be very talented and charged way too little for their work.  For a hobbyist with some under utilized time or equipment, it's the modern day equivalent of hanging out a shingle.  I certainly wouldn't blindly trust a shady guy who wants to meet me in the WalMart parking lot and then drives away with my prize possessions, but my experiences have all been positive so far.  I found a guy in Vermont who had converted a 20' shipping container into a sandblast booth for his own projects and then decided he might do some work on the side.  He did a beautiful job stripping my M416 trailer for short money.  Of course, the more you know about somebody and their work, the less the risk.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0165.JPG
  • M416b.jpg

#28 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted October 31, 2015 - 01:19 PM

Small victory...

So my approach to projects in the garage is a little less industrious than Mr. D's...it involves a lot of staring at the task...sitting back...sipping a Corona...staring a little longer...contemplating all the things that can possibly go wrong with my plan...imagining what the engineer who designed it was thinking...how he came to arrive at this specific solution...imagining the mechanical drawings...created by a draftsman in a time when those guys still existed (I haven't met one in nearly 15 years)...sip more beer...stare...think...drink...repeat

I just love machinery.  I've spent more time laying under my cars than anyone else I know.  I just like to lay there and consider all that went into every component location...every weld...every bolt...I'm a dork.

So last night...as I sat and stared at the Panzer... trying to decide where I would start the disassembly...I spied 4 little wing nuts that held the belt shield onto the mower deck.  They were rusted solid onto 12-24 studs.  I estimated that it would be nearly impossible to extract them without breaking off the studs or twisting the ears off of the wing nuts.  CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

I spent last night going out to the garage during commercial breaks from a Halloween movie film marathon...shooting the nuts with PB Blaster...trying to work them back and forth a little bit...and just looking at the tractor.  When I woke this morning, I went out and shot them again before heading out to split firewood all morning.  I came back and shot them again. 

Finally...20 hours after the first soaking...I sat down on the floor and set to working the wing nuts back and forth...ever so slightly...with a pair of needlenose pliers.  After about 30 minutes and 1 Corona...SUCCESS!! 

All 4 nuts removed without breaking a stud or damaging a wingnut.  This is truly a testament to the quality of hardware manufactured 50 years ago.  Nothing made in China would have survived.

This is going to be a long, slow project at this pace.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_2617.small.jpg

Edited by Hondarider, October 31, 2015 - 01:33 PM.

• KennyP and panzersarebest have said thanks

#29 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted October 31, 2015 - 03:44 PM

Just shot an email off to Dandy looking for tires, fenders, engine rebuild kit, and the reverse disc.  I know they don't have any of the reverse disks, but I thought I might get on the list.

#30 Panzerguy OFFLINE  

Panzerguy
  • Member No: 53940
  • 650 Thanks
  • 391 posts

Posted October 31, 2015 - 04:33 PM

Just shot an email off to Dandy looking for tires, fenders, engine rebuild kit, and the reverse disc.  I know they don't have any of the reverse disks, but I thought I might get on the list.

Be patient about the email. Sometimes it can take Jim a while to get to it. He'd rather use the phone.

We talked over dinner at the Bangor, PA show a couple weeks ago and he said the reverse disc will be out of stock till further notice but he's working on a couple of sources and has been in touch with Bill Janitor about a project he's working on concerning the reverse discs. I'll post info on here under another topic if I hear anything new and encouraging about the discs.

AL

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: panzer, t70