Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted February 19, 2016 - 06:39 AM

Now the whole reason that my Panzer story was derailed by the South Bend lathe story was because I have a drive pulley that is all crapped up and I wanted to polish it.  Doing it by hand seemed like a lot of work

That's the same logic I use :thumbs:   

Me "Honey , I need to buy a hay rake  "     Her " you only have a 20' x 80' patch "   Me " Do you want me to do that by hand ? "   

Me  " Honey , I need a new power ( please fill in the blank there are too many to list)  tool to do the job "   Her  " Can't you just use the ( again fill in the blank ) ?   Me " It will be quicker if I buy it "

After reading   your post I'm now searching for a lathe on CL  , I have a bushing I could make .   Thank you , Al

#257 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • Member No: 76653
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted February 19, 2016 - 09:45 AM

Me "Honey , I need to buy a hay rake  "     Her " you only have a 20' x 80' patch "   Me " Do you want me to do that by hand ? "   

Me  " Honey , I need a new power ( please fill in the blank there are too many to list)  tool to do the job "   Her  " Can't you just use the ( again fill in the blank ) ?   Me " It will be quicker if I buy it "

After reading   your post I'm now searching for a lathe on CL  , I have a bushing I could make .   Thank you , Al

Nothing embodies the pioneer spirit like having the ability (or at least the desire) to make what you need.  I have way more respect for a talented welder or machinist than some white collar millionaire who never got his hands dirty and wouldn't survive a day in the Zombie Apocalypse.  If I accomplish nothing more than inspiring people to pick up a wrench, rebuild some old tool, or buy some ridiculous piece of fabricating equipment that makes your father-in-law say "Why do you need that?"...I'll be quite happy with myself.

Edited by Hondarider, February 19, 2016 - 09:46 AM.

• Alc, KennyP and MolonLabe have said thanks

#258 DougT ONLINE  

DougT

Dog Approved

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 584
  • 5,731 Thanks
  • 4,287 posts

Posted February 19, 2016 - 10:34 AM

Al, the response to this question should have been you didn't want HER to have to rake it by hand.   :wave:

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#259 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted February 19, 2016 - 08:06 PM

Is there any happier time in a man's life then when you find yourself with a pocket full of cash...driving through the countryside, listening to Joe Walsh on the radio, and sipping a coffee or Mountain Dew...on your way to see a guy about your latest Craigslist desire? Be it tool, tractor, motorcycle, or Jeep, the anticipation of finding your next treasure is intoxicating.

Better yet...when you get there and meet the seller...the exact kind of guy that you hope to meet on your quest...the guy you want to be buying things from...a guy with a fully functioning machine shop hidden away in a tidy garage in a residential neighborhood...a guy with a strong handshake, absolutely no sign of pretense, and excellent taste in garage music...a guy who spends his free time restoring classic pieces of American machining and carpentry equipment to such exacting precision and beauty, that they border on objet d'art. That's Chet.

I know I said I was ready to get back on the Panzer highway after my extended detour to South Bend, Indiana to discuss lathes. However, riding high on my recent conversion success, I foolishly entered "Bridgeport" into the Craigslist search field. Yada, yada, yada, and I find myself driving an hour and a half on a Friday afternoon in search of the elusive 230VAC single phase J-Head Bridgeport motor with contactor-less instant reversing. I can't even begin to explain how it works...an AC electric motor with a commutator and 4 brushes...but I had to have it.

Chet was happy to crack it open and show me the pristine commutator and brushes...a reasonable sum was exchanged for hardware...and then we spent the better part of an hour swapping tales about all things mechanical. I'd still be there now if there was beer.

Happiness is...

IMG_3249.JPG
  • DougT, Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#260 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted February 19, 2016 - 08:20 PM

Now I had every intention of going home and spending quality time with my family...simply dropping my new toy on the garage floor and going in to eat a Norman Rockwell family dinner...

IMG_3252.JPG

Unfortunately, the gravitational pull of my 2000 pound Bridgeport proved too much for me to resist...I wolfed down a couple chicken legs and rushed back out to the garage...wiping greasy hands on my shop sweatshirt...promising to make it up to the wife and kids just as soon as I could hear it run...

IMG_3255.JPG

An hour later and my milling machine was running for the first time in a decade...humming along and anxious to start making chips...

I'll never be able to walk barefooted in my garage again...

Edited by Hondarider, February 20, 2016 - 06:49 AM.

• Alc and KennyP have said thanks

#261 Tbrooks OFFLINE  

Tbrooks
  • Member No: 61764
  • 405 Thanks
  • 292 posts

Posted February 19, 2016 - 09:54 PM

A Bridgeport with a DRO? I wouldn't have waited a decade to play with that toy. I would have been finding excuses to play!

#262 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 07:32 AM

Dog gone it ! Now I,m " coveting thy GTTalk members lathe and milling machine ",,,, during Lent yet ! How bad is that ?
  • KennyP, Bmerf and bprzyw have said thanks

#263 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 08:48 AM

I recommend 3 Hail Mary's, 1 Act of Contrition, and then a trip to Tractor Supply for no less than 5lbs of Grade 8 bulk hardware.  That should square you up with the Lord.  We know that God is a gearhead.  How else could you explain the Deuce Roadster, John Deere's art deco period, or the 8-71 supercharger?  Don't even get me started on the Jag E-type, the Mercedes 300SL, the Ferrari 250 GT California, the Ford GT40, or the 1936 Harley Davidson EL Knucklehead...proof positive of divine intervention.

• Alc, KennyP and backwoods have said thanks

#264 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 08:56 AM

Speaking of Divine intervention in mechanical design, Chet had a masterfully refurbished Delta jointer in his shop last night that I simply love.  I have no need to own a jointer, but this thing was pure garage candy.  The base of this thing looks like it came right out of the Emerald City.  There's no legitimate reason for the decorative shape of the base...it serves no function...but that is one good looking piece of machinery.

15305-F.jpg

Chet's was painted in a shade of green that had me expecting Frank Morgan to pop his head out of the little hole in the front. 

imagesVZ59UZO2.jpg

I'd like to buy it and use it as a book shelf.

• Alc said thank you

#265 holdenboy1960 OFFLINE  

holdenboy1960
  • Member No: 62113
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 819 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 09:04 AM

My daughter is showing a surprising amount of enthusiasm for the Panzer...and even more surprising...she seems to have a handle on the mechanical details of the machine. She made her way around the machine...describing for me the function of each lever, pedal, and switch. I had no idea that she knew so much. She's keen on the idea of helping on the project.

You have lost that Panzer , you know that right !! & good story & Machine indeed 

Shane

• KennyP said thank you

#266 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 10:53 AM

It was never mine to begin with...I'm just a caretaker for the next person.  I'll be thrilled if it's one of my kids or grandkids

Edited by Hondarider, February 20, 2016 - 11:19 AM.

• backwoods and holdenboy1960 have said thanks

#267 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,758 Thanks
  • 7,701 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 03:18 PM

Another project interruption. 

Oh and by the way. I hate you. Yep you finally made the list. 

• KennyP said thank you

#268 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 03:58 PM

tumblr_lwlikpFpcF1qzoaqio1_500.jpg

• UncleWillie said thank you

#269 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 04:21 PM

Baby steps today.  I had to clean up the garage disaster before I could get working.  With the drive shaft (of sorts) installed back in the carrier, I installed the drive sprocket and aligned it with the large driven sprocket.

IMG_3257.JPG

Next comes the chain.  The Panzer drawing calls out 38" of #40.  Unfortunately, I could only score it in 120" lengths so I had to break out the handy dandy chain tool and shorten it to length. 

IMG_3259.JPG

A minute or two later and I was in business.

Just a note.  If you buy a pre-packaged 10' length of chain, there is probably a master link inside the box.  The guy at Fastenal clearly did not know this as he had me special order a seperate master link that took a week longer to arrive than the chain itself.  Lesson learned.  At least I have a master link for my remaining 7' of chain.

Installation was painless and 38" is just perfect.

IMG_3266.JPG

Once the chain is installed, the tension is applied by turning in the fine thread bolt on the bottom of the carrier's pivot shaft.

IMG_3267.JPG

However, there is one key concern when it comes to tightening the chain.  Due to the design of the forward/reverse mechanism, the chain has to be tight enough that it won't skip a tooth when the tractor is engaged in forward, but loose enough that it won't prevent you from engaging reverse.  The entire carrier swings from left to right depending on gear and, while the designer was smart enough to put the pivot point as close as possible to the sprocket, you could install the chain too tight and prevent yourself from ever engaging reverse.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3266.JPG

Edited by Hondarider, February 20, 2016 - 06:53 PM.

• DougT, KennyP, backwoods and 1 other said thanks

#270 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted February 20, 2016 - 09:19 PM

Took advantage of the 55 degree weather today and spray painted a few parts.  Hopefully, they'll be dry by morning.

IMG_3265.JPG

I also found some 2.5" aluminum flat bar in the basement today.  I may make up a spacer or two for the seat spring/battery tray/tool box area.  I'm not at all happy with how those parts are stacking up and rubbing on one another.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: panzer, t70