UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,736 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted January 29, 2016 - 11:11 PM

Good reading material can make a bad time bearable.

Edited by UncleWillie, January 29, 2016 - 11:13 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#212 Chris11 ONLINE  

Chris11

old Member

• Member No: 1601
  • 1,623 Thanks
  • 937 posts

Posted January 30, 2016 - 06:18 PM

The backing plate went on without much drama...as did the drum. The wheel was a little problematic for me. Looking at the design of the drum...with the stepped circle in the center (see red arrow in photo)...and looking at the wheel with a corresponding hole in the center...I was sure that these wheels were hub-centric and the rim would fit to the drum tight and flush at the center. However, as I made multiple attempts to crank it down, it seems that the backside of the wheel has a raised rib that contacts the outer face of the drum long before the hole and the stepped hub ever meet. I tried cranking it down with a large breaker bar, but all I was doing was deforming the wheel. I guess I should have paid closer attention at disassembly. I've been scrutinizing early photos to see what the fit was. I thought for sure that the stepped hub fit right into the rim.

attachicon.gifIMG_3124.JPG

I also noticed that the wheel studs or lug bolts really aren't right for the application. They don't have a taper beneath the head to center up the wheel. They're just regular 9/16-18 bolts with a square shoulder. I think I need to buy some better bolts.

attachicon.gifLug Bolt.JPG

you can buy them from napa

• Hondarider said thank you

#213 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • Member No: 76653
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted January 30, 2016 - 08:08 PM

you can buy them from napa

I did! Thanks.
  • Chris11 said thank you

#214 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted February 04, 2016 - 08:16 PM

Sunday morning and of to church...at least for the kids...

Me?  No, not me...I have my own Sunday morning ritual...

IMG_3132.JPG

I like to be there early when the store is almost completely empty.  I open my bag of greasy old parts, lay them out on top of the hardware bins, and then I set to searching out suitable replacements.  An hour later, and I'm picking  up the kids with 5lbs of shiny new  hardware and something to do with my Sunday afternoon...

IMG_3140.JPG

#215 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted February 04, 2016 - 08:25 PM

Unfortunately, I couldn't find the 2 missing bolts I needed for the backing plate so I opted to make my own.  A little cutting...a little grinding...and voila!

IMG_3135.JPG

Fits like one of OJ's Isotoners...

IMG_3136.JPG

• backwoods said thank you

#216 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted February 04, 2016 - 08:37 PM

A little later in the day and BANG!, I've got me a "roller". Sure, I may never actually finish it, but everyone knows that a partially completed "roller" is worth 25% more when you finally give up and post it on Craigslist. So I've got that going for me...

IMG_3139.JPG

To celebrate the milestone, "Fun Bobby" and "Dave the Painter" came over to drink beer and stand around the garage admiring the ol' Panzer and talking all things internal combustion. I can't imagine a better way to spend a winter afternoon.

Edited by Hondarider, February 04, 2016 - 08:44 PM.

• Alc, backwoods and UncleWillie have said thanks

#217 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,736 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted February 04, 2016 - 09:01 PM

I have gotten strange looks going to the hardware store and taking stuff out of my right pocket, matching it up, then putting it in my left pocket and starching all over again. 

#218 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted February 04, 2016 - 09:04 PM

Fast forward a couple days and my reassembly process has been temporarily stymied. You see, the next logical assembly step is the drive shaft with the stepped belt pulley and the little sprocket that drives the big sprocket. I can't install the chain, the differential cover, the seat, the tool box, the battery plate or anything until I get the drive shaft mounted up.

IMG_3142.JPG

Unfortunately, my pulley is not currently up to the "tractor show" standard that the paint job requires. It really needs to be polished. That seems like a perfect job for the lathe...

IMG_3152.JPG

Sadly, the lathe is not currently operable. Its requires a single phase replacement for the 3 phase motor. A task that has been on my "to do" list for something like 10 years.

IMG_3150.JPG

Off to Baldor.com for a 115/230, single phase, N56 frame, 1725 RPM, "instantly reversible" electric motor. Yikes! That might just run me around $400
  • Alc said thank you

#219 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,736 Thanks
  • 7,695 posts

Posted February 04, 2016 - 09:16 PM

I would look for a shop to rebuild that one

#220 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,696 Thanks
  • 8,890 posts

Posted February 04, 2016 - 09:21 PM

I would look for a shop to rebuild that one

I'm with Willie, do you know the motor is DOA?

#221 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted February 04, 2016 - 10:00 PM

Oh...no...the motor is perfect. It was running on the day I disconnected it at my old shop and loaded it into the truck. It still spins perfectly. My concern is that it's a 550VAC/3 phase and I need a 115/230VAC single phase. Design wise...those are apples and err...different apples. The 3 phase electric motor is dead simple in its design and can be made to move or instantly reverse direction simply by shifting the phases. A single phase, however, needs a capacitor to get things moving and reversing direction is slightly more complex. I'm not sure that a 3 phase can even be rewired to single phase and maintain the same horsepower. I could run a VFD, but I suspect the step up to 550VAC will also require a 3 phase transformer. I'll check in with my local motor shop, but I feel like I spent some time investigating this years ago and, for a 3/4HP motor, the cheapest alternative was just to buy a new one. Now I'm sure I could look around and find a used one for much cheaper than Baldor's new price, but the clock is running and Spring is coming. Once motorcycle and convertible season comes back around, the old Panzer will be retired to the car lift and tucked away until next winter. There's just no room in the garage once my wife's car comes out of storage and mine comes off the lift.
  • Alc said thank you

#222 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted February 05, 2016 - 01:47 PM

I bought an electric motor for my South Bend lathe a few years ago from TSC.

I see that they cost about $200 now.

Edited by jdcrawler, February 05, 2016 - 01:50 PM.

#223 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted February 06, 2016 - 08:08 PM

untitled.png

So I was going to really impress you guys with some crazy MacGyver action today. With my lathe motor out of service, I was in the midst of rigging up a bench grinder and a long belt to power my lathe externally so that I could polish my pulley. I had added another pulley to the Panzer shaft and rigged up the bench grinder on the shelf behind the lathe. I was going for the "old 1800s mill being powered by water wheels and leather belts strung all over the place" vibe, but I found I was short 1 pulley for the grinder. I needed a small one so that I could gear down the speed of the grinder to a comfortable speed for the lathe...

So off to Tractor Supply I went for a 2" OD pulley for a .625" shaft...

However, as I stood there in front of a rack of v-belt pulleys...I noticed a large box on a nearby shelf...an entirely unlikely box...an almost impossible to believe box...could it be?

3/4 HP...check
115/230VAC...check
Frame size 56...check
1725 RPMs...check
.625" diameter shaft...this can't be true
Reversible...no poo!

$200...Hell! I really had my heart set on doing some redneck engineering and gaining Internet fame when it all goes amok...but, here it is...the right motor for the job...for $200...I really couldn't afford NOT to do it right.

Oh well...I guess I can do it the right way...

IMG_3164.JPG

...but its not going to be nearly as cool
  • backwoods and UncleWillie have said thanks

#224 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted February 06, 2016 - 08:32 PM

OK...now, I'm not an engineer...but I do play one at work each day...so I'm fairly sure that I can construct a circuit which will allow the Forward/Off/Reverse switch on my 50 year old lathe to translate into actual Forward/Off/Reverse rotation of the lathe.

IMG_3176.JPG

So after verifying all of the physical dimensions, it seems I'm ready to get down to business.

IMG_3168.JPG

I've decided to wire it up to 230VAC,so let's get down to the wiring requirements...

IMG_3166.JPG

#225 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted February 06, 2016 - 08:37 PM

It just so happens that I have 2 really nice, brand new, very expensive contactors with 120V coils and 4 N.O. contacts each...still in the boxes. So here's what I'm thinking...

IMG_3173.JPG

Anybody want to check my work?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: panzer, t70