• Please log in to reply
413 replies to this topic

#166 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • Member No: 76653
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 10:13 PM

Once the front axle and the wheels were mounted, it seemed like the next logical job to tackle should be the steering assembly and the tie rods. I looked through my notes, sorted through my collection of numbered zip-loc bags, and gathered up the pieces.

Unfortunately, the cast tube that supports the shaft was also full of grease and sand...the shaft itself needed polishing...the hardware for the tie rods was beat to hell...and my tie rods are disparate lengths despite having the same part number in the Panzer diagram.

Off to Tractor Supply for some new hardware...again.

Since I've made the trip to the tractor store 3 times in the past 3 days, I decided to just buy a bunch of random bolts instead of only the ones I needed. Maybe it'll save me from a 4th trip tomorrow.

IMG_3058.JPG

$25 later and I've got a fun sorting project as I find and label a little drawer for each thread size and length. OCD Level - expert.

Edited by Hondarider, January 17, 2016 - 10:14 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#167 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 10:29 PM

Did I mention a guy named Jim who contacted me via PM to encourage me to rebuild the stock engine? He had read my thread and, while he doesn't disagree with the assertion that rebuild parts for my engine are not currently available off the shelf of my local parts store, he pointed out that eBay is ripe with the NOS parts needed to get the job done. He even did a search and located just about everything I could possibly need for a full rebuild. Total cost of NOS parts = about $150.

I'm pretty excited about the possibility as I would much rather put the machine back to stock. Per Jim's recommendation, I bid on this 40 year old rebuild manual that should cover every detail of my rebuild...including stock part numbers.

Today I won the auction. My winning bid was an astounding $7.50. I'm pretty excited.

Manual.JPG

Edited by Hondarider, January 17, 2016 - 10:35 PM.

• Alc, KennyP, backwoods and 1 other said thanks

#168 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 10:49 PM

Back to the task at hand...the steering assembly.

More mineral spirits...more tooth brushing...some polishing...some grinding...and I had all the necessary parts compiled.

IMG_3059.JPG

The steering assembly goes on with the nose so I had a good excuse to mount up the most iconic portion of the tractor.  I think I'll still need to go back and shim it properly when the steering column goes in, but it'll work for now.  I'm not real happy with the flat bar tie rods though.  They're different lengths, they cause the tractor to have a lot of toe out, and they lack the adjustment necessary to allow me to perfectly align the steering wheel.  Sure, it'll work just fine, but it'll make me crazy if the steering wheel isn't perfectly aligned.  I may have to go with adjustable tie rods with ball-type ends from a go kart or something.  I don't think I'm going to be satisfied with the stock arrangement.

ON a positive note, it is starting to resemble a tractor again.

BEFORE

Panzer2.jpg

AFTER

IMG_3061.JPG

I'm on the fence regarding the reinstallation of the lights.  Sure, they've been there my whole life, but they look kinda crazy.  There's no way they were stock.

Edited by Hondarider, January 17, 2016 - 10:51 PM.

• Alc said thank you

#169 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 11:03 PM

With the front end assembled, I opted to go to the far rear and tinker with the seat assembly.  That's where I ran into the my next stumbling block.  When I was at Dandy Sales, I was able to procure both the battery plate and the tool box.  According to the diagram, the battery plate goes beneath the leaf spring and the tool box goes above it.  Unfortunately, the tool box, if it were bolted down according to the diagram, will end up mangled as it interferes with the curved portion of the leaf spring.  It seems like I'm going to need  a spacer to raise the box high enough not to contact the curved section of the spring.  Perhaps this box, which I'm fairly sure is a replica, is not exactly the correct dimensions. I'm considering my options...

As you can see from the photos, if I bolt the box down flush against the spring, it will get bent upward at the front.  That won't look nice.  However, if I put some sort of spacer under it, I run the risk of it looking like a cob job.

IMG_3066.JPG

IMG_3068.JPG

• backwoods and panzersarebest have said thanks

#170 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 11:42 PM

You might as well go ahead and use your own toothbrush. Once your wife catches on you won't need one anymore.
  • Bmerf said thank you

#171 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,457 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted January 18, 2016 - 05:37 AM

On the toolbox spacer, get a piece of strap the right thickness and paint to match. That would let it blend in!

• Alc said thank you

#172 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,454 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted January 18, 2016 - 06:15 AM

I see what you mean with the headlights , I like them on , maybe a little smaller ones ?  I agree with Kenny a piece of flat stock the same size as the seat spring painted would look factory .

• Bmerf said thank you

#173 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted January 18, 2016 - 02:41 PM

WooHoo!  UPS man just showed up with my missing seals!  I'm back in the rear axle business!  Hooray!

More to follow...

• KennyP and panzersarebest have said thanks

#174 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted January 18, 2016 - 05:34 PM

No matter how many extra bolts you buy you still won't have the one you need.
  • backwoods said thank you

#175 jabelman OFFLINE  

jabelman
  • Member No: 38843
  • 1,472 Thanks
  • 1,134 posts

Posted January 18, 2016 - 05:44 PM

No matter how many extra bolts you buy you still won't have the one you need.

that's the best thing going at tractor supply is the loose. hardware by the pound. every time I stop by there I get a mix of something.

enjoying your write up on the resto. one thing I never do anymore and for reasons you stated is sand blasting. I do as much as I can with the angle grinder with a large wire wheel. anything I send out is something that won't track sand home

#176 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 07:18 PM

Back in the garage today...time to rock out to Joe Walsh and smack some seals

IMG_3090.JPG

First step, clean the axle tubes and make sure there are no burrs...looks good to me

IMG_3092.JPG

Next step...find something to push the seal in with that can apply uniform pressure at the outermost portions of the seal, where it is strongest.  I opted for a 2 1/16" socket, usually reserved for axle nuts on archaic military equipment like my M-416.

IMG_3091.JPG

Edited by Hondarider, January 23, 2016 - 07:45 PM.

#177 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,755 Thanks
  • 7,700 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 07:22 PM

Glad to see someone is getting something done. 

#178 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 07:44 PM

Big orange dead-blow and some gentle, but solid, tapping...

IMG_3093.JPG

A little fine tuning around the edges with a drift punch and I'm at a uniform 1" depth from the axle flange...just right for the polished portion of the axle shaft

IMG_3094.JPG

• backwoods said thank you

#179 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 08:00 PM

Now that the seals are sorted, I need some help.  I'm trying to mock up the sheet metal cover that sits just in front of the seat, but the pieces just don't seem to be coming together.  I guess I should have taken better pictures of this area, but I honestly thought this part would be a no-brainer.  I really need to know how the cover fits in relationship to the battery tray, the seat spring, and the rear axle.  Something needs to go over or under, but I'm at a bit of a loss.

IMG_3070.JPG

IMG_3066a.jpg

#180 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted January 23, 2016 - 08:03 PM

The reason that I know something is amiss is because the mounting holes at the front of the cover aren't lining up with the holes in frame tubes.

IMG_3069.JPG

IMG_3067.JPG

The holes in the frame are actually obscured by the cover as the cover needs to move backwards about 1". Unfortunately, the rear edge of the cover is banging into the battery tray.

Edited by Hondarider, January 23, 2016 - 08:07 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: panzer, t70