• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted January 03, 2016 - 07:36 PM

Looks like your making good progress!

As mentioned a few posts back, I managed to remove both of the axle shafts and then the bearings with the aid of a 20 ton hydraulic press. 

In the meantime, I ordered the new tapered roller bearings from my local NAPA

Inner bearing assembly - 25877

Outer bearing cup - 25821

Grand total of almost $90...GASP!!!

If you need other bearings in the future I can quote you some prices that will probably be cheaper than Napa :wave:

• Hondarider said thank you

#137 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • Member No: 76653
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted January 06, 2016 - 07:16 PM

I definitely should have passed on NAPA. I had found the bearings online for a total of about $60, but I was impatient and decided to check out NAPA. I told the guy what I needed, he surfed the computer to see what was in stock and then, before he had even told me the price, he got on the phone and called another location. They spoke for a couple minutes and then he hung up the phone and said "they'll be here by noon". I was still scratching my head when he asked "you want to pay for them now?" At this point, I felt like I was committed and I sheepishly handed over my credit card. 10 seconds later I was signing a slip for $90 and learning a $30 lesson that I am way too old to be learning.

Even worse, it was 9:00 AM, I had nothing else to do, and I was 30 minutes from my house...so I drove home. Then I got caught up in other stuff and didn't feel like making the 1 hour round trip to pick up my parts that afternoon...so they sat.

I finally made my way to NAPA 4 days later...driving 30 minutes to get there...and I realized that if I had ordered the parts online, they would have been $60, I would have saved 2 hours of driving, and they would have been delivered to me on the same day that I drove to pick them up.

Stupidity ain't cheap.

Edited by Hondarider, January 06, 2016 - 08:05 PM.

• DougT said thank you

#138 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted January 07, 2016 - 07:39 PM

Another sizable expenditure today...4 new tires and tubes mounted on my freshly painted rims...to the tune of $230. Ouch! On a positive note, they look beautiful and they weigh a ton. I'm going to pretend that the impressive heft of a tire is synonymous with quality and longevity. Its the only way I can reconcile the cost. These should last 50 years sitting in the temperature controlled environment of my garage and the occasional parade around my yard. Neighbor-ladies can't wait to see me rollin' on 12s.

0106161900.jpg
  • Alc said thank you

#139 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted January 07, 2016 - 07:44 PM

Anybody know of a replacement side-valve engine that will replace the old Briggs and Stratton? I've got info for an overhead valve engine, but I'm not loving the way it sticks out the left side of the tractor. I'd much rather find something in the stock, archaic configuration. I think snowblowers still come with flat head / side valve engines.

#140 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 09:24 AM

Sitting around on a Saturday night...waiting for the announcement that I've won the PowerBall...shopping online for yachts and '32 Fords and cabins in Colorado...I decided to try my luck with some white paint and a teeny tiny paintbrush. Fortunately, the grill seems to have turned out a little better than my aspirations of becoming filthy rich.

IMG_3023.JPG

Edited by Hondarider, January 10, 2016 - 03:47 PM.

• Bolens 1000, Alc, KennyP and 1 other said thanks

#141 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,467 Thanks
  • 1,610 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 12:01 PM

Excellent story, write up, and restoration of this Panzer! You should really look into rebuilding the engine. The parts are relatively cheap for a complete rebuild, and I sent you a message regarding the part numbers and the cost.

#142 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 03:51 PM

Excellent story, write up, and restoration of this Panzer! You should really look into rebuilding the engine. The parts are relatively cheap for a complete rebuild, and I sent you a message regarding the part numbers and the cost.

Thanks for the PM.  Rebuilding the engine would certainly be my first choice.  I'd like to keep this tractor the same way it was when I was a little kid.  If I can get my hands on a parts list, I'll certainly start shopping for parts.  I've never actually rebuilt an engine before so I'm eager to give it a shot if I can get everything that's needed.

IMG_3018.JPG

Edited by Hondarider, January 10, 2016 - 03:52 PM.

• classic said thank you

#143 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 03:59 PM

The painter shot me a text last night...more parts ready for pick up...I was up there at 10:00 this morning to load the 4Runner with the smell of fresh paint.  Dave worked his magic on the front axle to smooth out some of the rough casting and voids from the factory.  I guess I better start cleaning up the unpainted  hardware for reassembly. 

IMG_3021.JPG

• Alc, backwoods and classic have said thanks

#144 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 04:14 PM

So when I went up to Dave's to pick up my parts this morning, he had the remaining parts hanging and prepped for paint.  It was looking like he was going to finish once and for all today.  I suspect that he'd be very happy to put this job behind him.  I think painting an entire car would have been easier than all of those odd little parts.  I think there must have been about 70 parts all together...scuffed...rigged up from the ceilings on wire or straps or racks...primed...painted...a ton of labor...a huge mess...Tantalizing Turquoise overspray all over the place. 

A few hours later...he sent me another text..."All done"

IMG_3024.JPG

• Alc, backwoods and classic have said thanks

#145 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted January 10, 2016 - 04:21 PM

Now I knew this was a miserable job for a painter...so I refrained from making jokes during the past month of dropping off and picking up parts at Dave's house...treating him like the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld...not wanting to give him any reason to kick me and my Panzer parts out the door.

However...now that he's done...

I texted

"You know, I was just sitting here looking at these parts and I'm not exactly crazy about the color.  I think I might prefer something in a Robin's Egg blue instead...maybe a more subtle tone...something a bit less ostentatious."

"How would you feel about me getting them blasted and we try another color?"

Dave's succinct response

"No f'ing way"

My text

"That's cool.  I understand.  I'll just hit them with a brush instead"

This might be the last time Dave responds to my calls. ( ;

• Alc, KennyP, jpackard56 and 3 others have said thanks

#146 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 08:30 PM

Well that's it...the last of my parts are painted...maybe...I'm fairly sure that I've missed a couple...and I suspect a few may have been lost between blast and paint...but I think I've got most everything. From here on out, its just a jigsaw puzzle without edge pieces or a cool Thomas Kinkade landscape.0111161958.jpg
  • Alc and backwoods have said thanks

#147 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,754 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted January 11, 2016 - 09:49 PM

Dave's succinct response

"No f'ing way"

You may get the same response when you call him about the Jeep.

Or it will cost you 10 grand.

#148 Hondarider OFFLINE  

Hondarider
  • 394 Thanks
  • 270 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 01:26 PM

The floor of my garage reminds me of a Peter Aschwanden illustration.  I love that guy's work.  If you enjoy mechanical things, I highly recommend John Muir's book "How To Keep Your Volkswagen Alive - A Manual of Step by Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot".  Even if you care nothing for old air cooled VWs, the book is outstanding for explaining all sorts of automotive principles with no shortage of comedy...and the illustrations by Peter are exceptional.  I'm actually on my second copy...having worn out the first copy during many greasy nights in the garage.  I haven't owned a VW in 20 years and I still love reading this book.

Exploded VW.JPG

Differential.JPG

Breaker Bar.JPG

Garage Illustration.JPG

The Engine.JPG

• KennyP, jpackard56, backwoods and 1 other said thanks

#149 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,770 Thanks
  • 7,704 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 03:16 PM

Those pics are exactly how I feel when I go out to work on Spooky.

#150 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted January 12, 2016 - 06:43 PM

The floor of my garage reminds me of a Peter Aschwanden illustration.  I love that guy's work.  If you enjoy mechanical things, I highly recommend John Muir's book "How To Keep Your Volkswagen Alive - A Manual of Step by Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot".  Even if you care nothing for old air cooled VWs, the book is outstanding for explaining all sorts of automotive principles with no shortage of comedy...and the illustrations by Peter are exceptional.  I'm actually on my second copy...having worn out the first copy during many greasy nights in the garage.  I haven't owned a VW in 20 years and I still love reading this book.

attachicon.gifExploded VW.JPG

attachicon.gifDifferential.JPG

attachicon.gifBreaker Bar.JPG

attachicon.gifGarage Illustration.JPG

attachicon.gifThe Engine.JPG

I have some of John's books, he made complicated much more fun. Haven't seen them in a long time. I had 3 bugs in my longhair days, the last one sold just before the Navy in 77, I had worked up to a 73 "Super Beetle"  still froze your nubbins off in Ohio winters, but there was way more room for the "hanky panky" than a standard Beetle :rocker2:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: panzer, t70