9 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,152 Thanks
  • 4,500 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 05:44 PM

Our home was built in 1980 and had a built in fireplace.  The last couple winter we have been getting some smoke in the room.  Decided this morning I was going to find out what was going on.  Started taking it apart and found a metal tag with mfg information on the side panel I removed.  Found out it is a Preway Builtin Fireplace from Sears, mfg. in 1980.

After removing the right side panel I found a 6" door the leads, indirectly, from the fire box to the room blower surround.  A slide control rod at the bottom front of the fireplace controls this door.  Either lets it op  or holds it shut.  Believe there is one on both sides.  I had no idea what the control knob was for or what it was supposed to do.  Made sure the control was operating correctly and put it all back together and cleaned up my mess.  Will find out next time we built a fir in the fireplace if that was the problem but an sure it was.  We had been running with that control in the open position, which would draw air from the firebox and blow it out into the room.

Someone else was having a similar problem and this might steer them in a fix direction.

• MH81, boyscout862, LilysDad and 1 other said thanks

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 06:15 PM

Also make sure the chimney is clean. Some times on homes that are 'tight', a window needs to be open a bit for the fire place to 'draw'!

• boyscout862 and propane1 have said thanks

#3 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,802 Thanks
  • 2,201 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 08:45 PM

I always crack a window to help the draw. You also have to make sure it doesn't starve other appliances like the furnace/ boiler. Be safe and good luck.
  • propane1 said thank you

#4 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,152 Thanks
  • 4,500 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 09:15 PM

Chimney is cleaned with wire chimney brush ever fall.  Also I don't burn any green or non seasoned wood.  All the wood I cut is from dead trees, most of them standing.  Have not had to crack a window as the door to the totally enclosed deck does not seal tight with the regular latch.  Get fresh air that way.  Security lock does close it tight when the fireplace is not going.  Will find out how it will work out one of these nights.  Stove in the basement still has the upstairs at 66°. 

#5 propane1 ONLINE  

propane1
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,110 Thanks
  • 3,201 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 11:07 PM

All you need is a bathroom vent, or kitchen vent, or clothes dryer or some types of basement dehumidifiers running to cause a down draft , if the house is tight. I saw once two flues , one oil furnace, other one propane fireplace, because oil heat exhaust is hotter than propane , the oil flue would vent out, but because the house was tight, the propane flue would down draft, until a door or window was cracked open. Noel.

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,152 Thanks
  • 4,500 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 07:27 AM

There was a period of time when homes were built tight.  We had carpenters back then that did the work and were proud of what they accomplished.  This day an age we have a bunch of wood butchers.  They get a tape measure, hammer and miter saw and call themselves carpenters.  So not worried about the house being to tight and I really doubt that you could find one in a hundred that would be tight enough to cause a problem with venting any type of heating device.  Using the fireplace this morning and it is working fine. And don't have any windows cracked or anything like that either.  Spend 10 grand on new windows and siding and then leave a window cracked to let cold air in ? ?  Sure I won't !

• KennyP said thank you

#7 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 07:37 AM

I have seen where the furnace kicking on would suck smoke from a fireplace.

#8 Bud W ONLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 228 Thanks
  • 217 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 09:16 AM

I have a double wide with the furnace in the laundry room. I once inadvertently closed the laundry room door and when the blower on the furnace came on, it sucked the exhaust fumes out of the fire box and blew it out through the house. I realized there was no cold air return into the laundry room with the door shut (nice design).

#9 Doxey OFFLINE  

Doxey
  • Member No: 48959
  • 122 Thanks
  • 93 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 04:13 PM

I live in a mobile home and they are required to take air in from outside.  They make stoves just for that purpose.  It has a 4 inch dryer pipe drawing fresh air into the stove.  Works for me.

#10 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,152 Thanks
  • 4,500 posts

Posted November 07, 2015 - 01:52 AM

Problem solved.  tore into the fireplace the other morning to see what was going one.  There is a knob at the bottom center of the unit that will slide to the right or left and lock in position.. To the left it is a little hard to get clear over and locked up.  After I got the right side panel off I found there is a door about 5" diameter center hinged.  These are to be open when starting a fire to help it get started drawing.  After the fire is going these are to be closed before the room fan is turned on to keep from drawing smoke and fumes from the fire and blowing them out into the room.  Fount the label and cleaned it off enough to read the name and got the info off the net.  We have no had that door control shut when running the room blower so it was just a matter of running it right.  We get too soon old and to late smart.

• MH81 and KennyP have said thanks