• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#46 steamer936 ONLINE  

steamer936
  • Member No: 75599
  • 111 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted November 21, 2015 - 07:52 PM

Drive shaft length fixed, the rear bolt holes got slotted so the mounting pins work and it still allows the older attachments.

Test mowing commenced!

mowing

#47 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,684 Thanks
  • 17,204 posts

Posted November 21, 2015 - 07:54 PM

Your a lucky guy to still be mowing!

We have snow gear on here!

#48 steamer936 ONLINE  

steamer936
  • 111 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted November 22, 2015 - 07:39 PM

Today I started on the tiller for it but got side tracked noticing that the mower deck did not lift all of the way up.

Shiny thinged yet again I had to find the interference before I dropped the deck off to fit the tiller.

What I found is that on the older 800 that the foot rests are slightly to the rear than later models.

The lift arm was hitting the cast foot rest spacer and not allowing it any higher. The interference was only 1/4".

I took the arm off took the torch to it notched it, cleaned it up on the grinder and replaced it. NOW  it tucks all of the way up under the 800. It looks like that was the last tweak to get that deck working correctly on my OLD 800.

I took it out in the field today and it chewed through the 2 foot tall grass with no problem.

Downside to that I have already picked up a thorn from either a mesquite or a prickly pear.

When you run anything with tires around here in the fields I always put slime in them. That's just how it is.

#49 steamer936 ONLINE  

steamer936
  • 111 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted December 15, 2015 - 11:01 AM

The past weekend I put the 800 to some hard use mowing the back field to prepare for my scout troops Christmas campout.

The mesquite and the prickly pear played havoc with the front tires. one of them went flat 3 times. After a few rounds of slime and re-beading the tire I discovered the culprit. The new tube was split along the area that lays against the rim. These were not pinholes like I would expect with the hazards that are in the field and it occured not on the tread side but on the rim side. Good thing I did not throw away the old tubes. Put one of those back in and I was off again.

Ahh and the last gotcha the last 30 yo belt bought it. The starter belt threw chunks and rolled over. Now I can say it has all new belts!

The last Item was now that the PTO pulley is polished up, The belt needs re-tensioning, It is always something.

• KennyP and Bolens800uk have said thanks

#50 steamer936 ONLINE  

steamer936
  • 111 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted January 18, 2016 - 11:55 AM

The days are back to getting longer. I can spend a few moments a day, when the weather cooperates, to work on the 800. So over the past few weeks I have been fitting the tiller that I acquired off of ebay.The tiller was off a late model tube frame and since I have had issues with the newer implements fitting the older (first Gen) 800. This fitting went reasonably painless, the only item that did not fit was the lift rod. I welded in pieces to lengthen the lift rod to work correctly.

Everything else fit perfectly. 

Last night I took the 800 with the tiller out to the area which will be our garden to test this rig. This test was successful. I will have to learn how to operate the 800 with the tiller as I found that if the tiller is allowed to penetrate it will grab and shove the 800 forward. Note to self only take shallow cuts and as slow as you can, Low range 1st gear.

Now that the tiller mount and test is done I move on to the making of the sleeve hitch for the plow.

Come Feb. The garden starts the tools need to be ready.

• blackjackjakexxix said thank you

#51 steamer936 ONLINE  

steamer936
  • 111 Thanks
  • 67 posts

Posted February 07, 2016 - 11:47 PM

Today the 800 got a little more done to it.The issue with it sucking up a drive belt into the clutch.

Today it got upper belt guards fabricated. They are not like the originals but to make it work with the Tecumseh it required some different mounting points. It is a bit unconventional but when the belts switch over they come out of the groove and stop no float motion.

The shift was done several times while doing some tilling and we had no belt disasters, I call that a success!

rightguard
leftguard

Edited by steamer936, February 08, 2016 - 07:37 PM.

• Bolens 1000 and LPBolens have said thanks