13 replies to this topic

#1 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,144 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 10:21 AM

It is laying out in my drive free for getting it out of here.  Bought this "5" gallon Shop Vac about a month ago, mainly due to its light weight and easy to move from place to place.  First off it is advertised as a 5 gallon.  Put 2 gallons of anything in it and it runs out hose port.  Only way it would hold 5 gallons is to plug the intake hose port and leave the top off.

Used it a couple times on the cement floor in the shop.  Seemed to pick up OK but noticed there was fine dust in the air.  A week ago I tried to use it to clean the fly ash out of the multi fuel stove in the basement.  As soon as it started to pick up the ash a cloud of fine dust filled the air.  Used a 20 year old steel 12 gallon can vac I bought at an auction many years ago.  It has the exact same filter as the Shop Vac.  No problem  Checked the filter, etc. and everything was installed right.  Emailed Shop Vac and they said I needed to use their micro fine filter bag.  Bought one for $10 and put it on.  This morning was doing some maintenance on the fireplace and was going to use it with the new filter to clean up some ashes.  As soon as I started to pick up the ashes a cloud of dust filled the air.  Being highly pissed at this point I unplugged it and gave it a throw out the door into the drive way.  If anyone wants this thing come and get it..  Otherwise it will make some black smoke when the wind dies down.  I will NEVER buy another Shop Vac product again.  They are junk from the word go and their customer support really sucks.

I talked to my older son a while back and he said he has the same trouble with his identical vac picking up fine saw dust.  I would not advise anyone to purchase any Shop Vac Vacuum.   Now after a cup of coffee going back to finish up the fireplace with my 20 year old Wards vac.

Edited by chieffan, October 29, 2015 - 06:02 PM.

• daytime dave, Gtractor, MH81 and 5 others have said thanks

#2 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,595 Thanks
  • 3,905 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 11:22 AM

The MRS. bought me a nice big Shop-Vac for Christmas probably 15 years ago. Had all the bells and whistles - except  any kind of lube in the bearings.   Very first time I plugged it in I could tell the motor bearings were dry and it growled like crazy.  The motor wasn't made to come apart to be serviced but I worked with it and got it apart without destroying it.  With some lubrication it has been a pretty good unit for me. 

This made in China stuff was made to sell, not to actually use.  :toilethead:

• boyscout862, Bill 76 and propane1 have said thanks

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,144 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 11:51 AM

I picked up a nice 20 gal Sears at an auction a couple years ago for my wood shop.  Got extra hose and several attachments with it.  It is a real good strong unit  and have had no problems with it at all.  I agree 100 % with what Kris said about that made in China stuff.  Cost twice as much to ship it here as what it cost to make.  They must have one heck of a big landfill over there, or is that what we end up getting?

• Gtractor, jpackard56, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#4 tater195 OFFLINE  

tater195

I dont deny your history..... dont deny mine

• Member No: 62468
  • 1,306 Thanks
  • 933 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 11:54 AM

I have that problem when using mine on the pellet stove. I bought a few extra hoses and run the exhaust out the window when I use it. It still blows dust out, but it is outside and doesnt make a mess

• MH81 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,234 Thanks
  • 5,073 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 12:44 PM

I have never owned a decent shop vac.

I had a blue and grey shop vac brand that worked decent for a few years.  But it always blew out a cloud of dust when you started it up.

#6 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,144 Thanks
  • 4,491 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 01:05 PM

Knock on wood - the old Wards Unit is used mostly for cleaning out the pellet stove of fly ash.  I have not had a problem with it putting dust in the air.  I use the regular paper replacement universal filters.  The large sears unit in my wood shop has a large round hard filter, much like an air filter for a large engine.  About 9" high and 6" across.  Has folded paper type material for the actual filter.  You can tap them on a hard object outside and a lot of the dust will fall off.

• boyscout862 and CanadianHobbyFarmer have said thanks

#7 kellerman88 OFFLINE  

kellerman88
  • Member No: 69470
  • 137 Thanks
  • 75 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 01:50 PM

Actually, what's depressing, is that Shop-Vacs are made right here in the USA in Williamsport Pennsylvania. Well, perhaps just assembled here and the parts are stamped out in China. Hard to say. 

Kinda been wanting to try a Stihl Wet-Dry Vac. 

• Gtractor said thank you

#8 CanadianHobbyFarmer OFFLINE  

CanadianHobbyFarmer
  • Member No: 73571
  • 939 Thanks
  • 596 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 04:39 PM

I have about a 10 year old Sears unit, sounds similar to yours Chieffan. Sears says the same, you are supposed to buy a micro filter for fine dust. If you put a brand new normal filter in it and suck up really fine dust like drywall dust  it will blow some through. I always just hang onto the old filter for fine stuff until I get the new one "broken in". Once you get them dirty enough to have had to clean them twice, they block the fine dust as well as the "micro filter" that is intended for the fine stuff.

Jim

#9 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

TomLGT195
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,797 Thanks
  • 2,197 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 08:53 PM

I had a similar dust cloud, but mine was because I forgot to put the filter back in after some wet clean up. The mrs spent 2 days cleaning the house from the mess I made. Didn't look till I was done cleaning the stove, oops.
  • jpackard56 said thank you

#10 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,304 Thanks
  • 4,657 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 08:59 PM

I've got a 20 YO 5 gallon wet dry vac from sears and it has worked excellent..  Just used it today!

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,254 Thanks
  • 28,603 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 09:59 PM

I had a similar dust cloud, but mine was because I forgot to put the filter back in after some wet clean up. The mrs spent 2 days cleaning the house from the mess I made. Didn't look till I was done cleaning the stove, oops.

But honey... Just look how clean the stove is!
  • TomLGT195 said thank you

#12 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,477 Thanks
  • 5,009 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 12:21 AM

I won't use a shop vac in the house. Works good outdoors or for sucking up metal chips from the lathe. Try sucking up fine dust and what doesn't go out the filter plugs the filter in 5 minutes. Try sheet rock dust and see what happens.  :(

• jpackard56, WNYTractorTinkerer and Leonard VanCamp have said thanks

#13 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,234 Thanks
  • 5,073 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 08:32 AM

I won't use a shop vac in the house. Works good outdoors or for sucking up metal chips from the lathe. Try sucking up fine dust and what doesn't go out the filter plugs the filter in 5 minutes. Try sheet rock dust and see what happens.  :(

I've sucked up a lot of drywall dust with my old one.  Lowes sold an "ultra fine" filter, and a pre-filter wrap.  I had good luck with those.  Usually suck up a decent amount, take it outside, empty it, knock the dust off the pre-filter and go back to it.

I almost ruined our brand new dyson by sucking up drywall dust with it when I was doing the laundry room.  Wife wasn't happy!  Didn't spray out a bit, but after cleaning up I noticed it barely had any suction....

Had to replace all the filters, and thoroughly scrub every inch of that thing inside.  It looks like you had taken plaster of paris and smeared it over everything.

#14 sodisr OFFLINE  

sodisr
  • Member No: 9153
  • 651 Thanks
  • 762 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 10:58 AM

I too have the 16 gal,, 6 HP from sears.. All thou it is a bit cumbersome, I love it ..  When I drywalled a room in the basement, I did noticed some small dust in the air..   I took a 5 gal. pail with a lid,, cut a hole in the top for exhaust tube to go in. ( bought an extension tube ) and put about 2-3 inches of water in it.. Cut another hole to exhaust out,opposet   to  the other hole. the fine particles get blown into the water and trapped... works pretty good...

• MH81 and Cvans have said thanks