12 replies to this topic

#1 det12187 OFFLINE  

det12187
  • Member No: 75145
  • 23 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 09:53 AM

Was wondering if anyone has powered a push mower on propane without

just dumping it into the air cleaner like most of the u tube video's I have seen.

I would like to build one using some sort of a fuel  distributor after the carburator

so I could still use gasoline and with a regulator that shuts off when mower is stopped. I figure this would

make a good winter project.

#2 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8012
  • 938 Thanks
  • 686 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 10:08 AM

I was looking into this about a year or so ago. Many tap a fitting into the carb venturi tube. Would this setup, along with a suitable 90 degree shutoff effectively isolate the fuel source as you would like?

#3 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,664 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 03:23 PM

Tractors have for years had systems, but look pretty complicated to me for just a little mower.  I never figured out how the fuel amount was regulated on those kind that just dump it in the venturi??  Also on big tractors there are times of liquid, and then times of vapor, which it runs on, seems you would need to regulate that part???  Not worth the time, and what are you saving here anyway? Pollution?  Ease of fuel on hand?  Don't see the reason to want it.

#4 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,291 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 04:47 PM

Some Small generators use propane, they can be hooked to large tanks and the fuel can be stored for years without getting stale like gasoline does.

Oil stays clean and carbon build up is minimal, just a few random thoughts,,, ok i'll be quiet now..

• Cvans, tiretrx, Bill 76 and 1 other said thanks

#5 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 05:45 PM

Craftsman sold a propane powered walk behind that ran on desposable propane bottles.

• Alc said thank you

#6 chieffan OFFLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,167 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 06:07 PM

Craftsman sold a propane powered walk behind that ran on desposable propane bottles.

Save on air pollution and fill the land fill with used propane bottles.  Makes sense to me ? ? :wallbanging:   :shoot2: :mad2:

• propane1 said thank you

#7 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 12:26 AM

Save on air pollution and fill the land fill with used propane bottles. 

They make nice targets for tracers.

#8 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 938 Thanks
  • 686 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 08:39 AM

Save on air pollution and fill the land fill with used propane bottles.  Makes sense to me ? ? :wallbanging:   :shoot2: :mad2:

I've scrapped them for pennies. They also make great bird houses. Make a hole, no CNC machinery required. Bird goes in.

I do a lot of projects that don't make "sense". I do them for the challenge. To learn about how things work. Some things I just do because.......brace yourself...........because they are FUN :say_what:

I say, go for it, and share the experience with us :wave:

• Cvans said thank you

#9 det12187 OFFLINE  

det12187
  • Member No: 75145
  • 23 Thanks
  • 40 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 09:07 AM

What I was looking for was the ability to use two types of fuel depending on whats cheaper. For the record small

propane bottles can be refilled from 20 lb. tanks with an adapter thats availiable at Harbor Freight. A Propane powered

generator is on the horizon for me as well, mainly from the fact of poor storability of gasoline now days. I figure on doing a expendable lawn mower first before converting my expensive generator and having it not working out.

• tiretrx said thank you

#10 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 938 Thanks
  • 686 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 10:57 AM

What I was looking for was the ability to use two types of fuel depending on whats cheaper. For the record small

propane bottles can be refilled from 20 lb. tanks with an adapter thats availiable at Harbor Freight. A Propane powered

generator is on the horizon for me as well, mainly from the fact of poor storability of gasoline now days. I figure on doing a expendable lawn mower first before converting my expensive generator and having it not working out.

I remember in one of the vids a guy put the empty small bottles in the freezer before filling from the BBQ tank. I guess this facilitated the transfer? In either case it knocked the cost of a small bottle down.

I agree on having alternative fuel sources. When we had Superstorm Sandy, getting gas was either hard, or impossible, at times. Eventually they went to odd/even license plate numbers to ease the lines. Lots of gennies went thirsty. It was a mess. No electric, but we had propane lights and cooking, so it did help. I was loaning out camp stoves to friends/family.

• det12187 said thank you

#11 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 02:25 PM

For the record smallpropane bottles can be refilled from 20 lb. tanks with an adapter thats availiable at Harbor Freight.

I have also used the large disposable bottles for making a muffler.

• tiretrx said thank you

#12 philips100 OFFLINE  

philips100

• Member No: 4935
  • 72 Thanks
  • 82 posts

Posted November 03, 2015 - 11:13 PM

The great thing about propane powered engines is you don't have to worry about the fuel system gumming up during storage.

http://uscarb.com/ and http://generatorkits...ute=common/home sells kits to make your small engine dual fuel,

If you don't want to buy a kit, with a little studying you can figure out which regulator you need and build your own brackets and adapter.

• Alc, tiretrx and det12187 have said thanks

#13 tiretrx OFFLINE  

tiretrx

Village Idiot

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 938 Thanks
  • 686 posts

Posted November 04, 2015 - 08:58 AM

The great thing about propane powered engines is you don't have to worry about the fuel system gumming up during storage.

http://uscarb.com/ and http://generatorkits...ute=common/home sells kits to make your small engine dual fuel,

If you don't want to buy a kit, with a little studying you can figure out which regulator you need and build your own brackets and adapter.

Yup, no stabilizer, keeping the tank full, running the fuel out.

As to the regulator required, I called a supplier, and he hooked me up. I believe it is referred to as a governed regulator. Vacuum dictates flow, when the engine is shut down, propane flow ceases. Sixty bucks as I recall.

• det12187 said thank you