• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 weekend_cutter OFFLINE  

weekend_cutter
  • Member No: 71091
  • 12 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted October 28, 2015 - 08:53 PM

Alright guys. I'm going to build my 1054 into something I can take to the pulls and something I can still push snow with. Nothing too major. I'm thinking maybe a twin cylinder swap but the 12 horse that's in it now is really healthy. I have a 10 horse that I can also use for parts. Anyone have any tricks to get a few extra horses out of these Wisconsins? I was thinking about swapping heads from the 10 to the twelve for more compression. Another thing is like to do is find a way to put a pulling clutch in my tractor. All input and suggestions would be great. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446083593.352630.jpg
  • Dieselcubmike said thank you

#2 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted October 28, 2015 - 08:58 PM

Welcome to the pulling world. Unfortunately there are no aftermarkets mods for these. I would presume that it would be OKAY in the stock class but the very first thing I would do would be to get a set of club rules and go from there. Everyone requires wheelie wheels and a helmet. 

• weekend_cutter said thank you

#3 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,151 Thanks
  • 4,498 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 07:15 AM

I bought some left over Bolens parts from a guy that also had a pulling clutch made up with Cub Cadet clutch spring he said.  I had no use for that set up so left it.  He said he had about $75 in it and that was his asking price.  Just thought I would throw that out there.

#4 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,300 Thanks
  • 2,334 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 08:11 AM

Trust me a properly adjusted Bolens clutch will not slip.You'll either Power out or twist off something in the transaxle or bust both drive belts before the clutch will slip.

Ask my neighbor about that.He pulled a 8x10 trailer Loaded to the brim with gravel up an incline with a blown out tire on the trailer with his 1254.That was in 2nd gear in Hi range.

He's running 10.50 12 Turf tires loaded with washer fluid and no weights.His Farmall Cub would of pulled it but it stalled and would not restart.He pulled the tractor back up to his house with the Bolens after he got the trailer home.Later found out the brass Distributor drive gear stripped out.

#5 MrFixit1599 OFFLINE  

MrFixit1599
  • Member No: 10251
  • 71 Thanks
  • 71 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 08:37 PM

After i replaced my clutch a couple years ago, and got it all adjusted i have to agree.  It does not slip.  It tends to pull the front wheels off the ground in certain situations.  A few weeks ago I caught a piece of wood in my mower deck and it stopped the deck immediately.  The belts on the deck slipped a few seconds before the engine died.  I had to actually remove the deck, then remove the blade to get it unstuck.  The fact that nothing broke astonished me.  Now tell me there is a single new tractor that could handle that amount of torque and spin stoppage and survive without breaking something.  I highly doubt there is.

#6 gardentractornut OFFLINE  

gardentractornut
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 67198
  • 324 Thanks
  • 322 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 10:11 PM

You don't need many mods to it, just lots of weight. I pulled with my 1254 at the county fair with turf tires loaded with some kind of fluid that the PO used. I did pretty well considering the engine isn't the greatest and I have turfs without chains. Oh, and it powered out before it would have spun, now add ag tires and a fresh re-ring and hone and I bet I could pull the house down.