Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Steering issue on a 425

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

I said I work on them. I never said I fix them!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8570
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted October 28, 2015 - 03:35 PM

I'm trying to help my neighbor with his JD 425 but this machine is far beyond what I can do.  Here's the story.  Neighbor says it was getting hard to steer (this does have power steering) so he changed the hydraulic fluid and filter per the manual.  It made an improvement but he said it still "didn't feel right" so we started looking for places that may be worn or whatever.  Tightened a few things and greased one spot that wasn't greased before.  Now it's a little better but still not right.  I did hear a whining when he turned the wheels but I don't know enough about these tractors to know if that's normal or not.  It seems that this machine does not have a power steering pump but rather a valve.  Could the valve be going bad?  If so, will it be a slow decline or will it just give out?  He wants to get through leaf season before he does anything and it looks as though that will end here in another week or so.  What other things should we be looking for?  Is the steering valve as expensive as it sounds?

#2 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted October 28, 2015 - 04:49 PM

Perhaps this can further confuse you.

Attached Thumbnails

• 425 steering.jpg
  • 425 steering 2.jpg

• Alc, Trav1s, David Brown and 1 other said thanks

#3 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted October 28, 2015 - 05:35 PM

Perhaps this can further confuse you.

Yeah, I looked at those. That's why I'm asking. Looking for anyone who has experienced this.

#4 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,302 Thanks
  • 4,657 posts

Posted October 28, 2015 - 06:31 PM

Is the thing 2 wheel or all wheel steer?  It sounds like something is binding the steering up..  Bad tie rod end or seized king pin..  It could also be the steering cylinder as well..

• David Brown said thank you

#5 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted October 28, 2015 - 07:14 PM

Is the thing 2 wheel or all wheel steer?  It sounds like something is binding the steering up..  Bad tie rod end or seized king pin..  It could also be the steering cylinder as well..

It's the 2 wheel steer.  I tried it and it does not feel like anything binding at all.  It has the solid shaft so that shouldn't be an issue.  I've driven this tractor one other time and it steered almost so easy that I thought everything was disconnected.  Today it took a little effort to steer the thing.  Not like a tractor without power steering, just harder than it ought to be.  I guess before it would return to center but it's not doing that now.

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 07:19 AM

Are the other hydraulics working OK, deck lift etc. If hydraulic pressure is down for some reason it would cause this symptom but would also effect the other hydraulics on the tractor. If you have checked the obvious stuff in the steering linkage then it's got to be in the valve or the hydraulics side of things. 

#7 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 08:19 AM

Are the other hydraulics working OK, deck lift etc. If hydraulic pressure is down for some reason it would cause this symptom but would also effect the other hydraulics on the tractor. If you have checked the obvious stuff in the steering linkage then it's got to be in the valve or the hydraulics side of things. 

Yes, the tractor seems to move ok and he mentioned the deck lift working fine.  I'm kind of leaning toward the valve but I wanted to make sure before he put that kind of money into it.  When I was over there I asked him if he checked the fluid level since he changed it.  Sure enough, it was low so we added some which helped very little.  When you hear that whine like it's low on fluid but it's not low on fluid, you just have to this the valve is starting to go.

#8 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 08:25 AM

Along the same lines, does anyone have a diagram on what port each hose goes into. My coworker replaced all the line Orings on his 425 , thinking he may have switched a couple lines around.

#9 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 01:41 PM

Just as a follow up, I got with my neighbor and asked some questions.  Yes, the tractor moves fie and the deck lift works as it should.  The issue seems to be isolated to the steering.  Thanks for the help so far.

#10 Trav1s ONLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 11:13 AM

Could there be something blocking flow on the steering circuit?

#11 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 11:39 AM

Could there be something blocking flow on the steering circuit?

Well now that's hard to say.  I would think that something like that would find it's way around the system and get caught up in the filter.  There is an outside chance that a line might be pinched or kinked and I think that would be slim.  If it was, you would never see it.  This is a heck of a thing to work on as you can't just open the hood, take the sides off and hope to see anything.  Maybe if a hose was going bad and a piece of it let go internally and is hanging there?  I just don't know.

#12 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 12:23 PM

This is a heck of a thing to work on as you can't just open the hood, take the sides off and hope to see anything. 

My coworker said he had to lie on his back and work from underneath to replace the Orings. He couldn't hardly move the next day and said it was a bear to get to. he even has all the tins off of it.

He stopped at dealer last night, they gave him a diagram for hose configuration.

#13 David Brown OFFLINE  

David Brown

• Contributor
  • 4,217 Thanks
  • 2,314 posts

Posted October 30, 2015 - 12:33 PM

My coworker said he had to lie on his back and work from underneath to replace the Orings. He couldn't hardly move the next day and said it was a bear to get to. he even has all the tins off of it.

He stopped at dealer last night, they gave him a diagram for hose configuration.

I can see that.  We didn't want to get into taking the deck off until after leaf season.  Since it's still working I guess there's no real need to.  My hat's off to your coworker if he laid on his back and changed all the orings like that.  That does not sound like a good time.

• TAHOE said thank you

#14 Alberta Bolens ONLINE  

Alberta Bolens
  • Member No: 49650
  • 442 Thanks
  • 251 posts

Posted November 01, 2015 - 09:25 PM

The pressure for your steering and hydraulic lift and it also effects reverse some.  Comes from a charge pump on the front of the hydrostatic drive.  If your reverse and lifts are working normal.  I would think linkage is binding up.  You say you found a grease fitting that had never been greased.  Give it another shot of grease. If you lift the front wheels off the ground wiggle the tires see if there is anything loose or binding.  The cyinder is solid to the right side of the axle it move a triangle shaped plate back and forth that the tie rods are attached to.  If the pivot point of that plate is worn out it could be binding there.  Check that when you lift the front end.

I wouldn't suspect the steering valve yet.

Good luck keep us posted.

• David Brown said thank you