• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • Member No: 70148
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted October 28, 2015 - 09:39 AM

As stated previously, got the Onan on wife's Craftsman 917.254422 purring smooth after locating a faulty electrical connector, but, there's a strong smell of gas fumes coming from somewhere.

Nothing visible at the engine or under-the-tank shut off, gets poor "mileage", if you will.

Not as limber now but, any suggestions where the source of fumes could be?

Not wild about a Rube Goldberg method to get completely under it to trace the fuel line.

#2 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted October 28, 2015 - 10:05 AM

check the gas cap it could be venting off at least thats what ive found with my jd

• Phluphy said thank you

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted October 28, 2015 - 11:23 AM

Is it the plastic or metal gas tank?
  • Phluphy said thank you

#4 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted October 28, 2015 - 04:02 PM

Is it the plastic or metal gas tank?

Plastic with a nearly impossible to reach-at least with these antique ham hands- shut off valve in middle of bottom.

Not sure about reliability of valve either.  Forgot to turn in on yesterday and was able to drive over 300' when I realized I had forgot to turn it on.

Hoping it will not be necessary to remove the tank, cuz it looks like it could be a major project, I.E., remove rear axle.

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,767 Thanks
  • 7,534 posts

Posted October 28, 2015 - 06:30 PM

Gas fumes that you can smell is a big warning. Don't play around because the consequences of a fire are too great. Fix it. Good Luck, Rick

#6 James Bosma ONLINE  

James Bosma
  • Member No: 76126
  • 451 Thanks
  • 221 posts

Posted October 28, 2015 - 06:34 PM

Easy way to see and locate a possible leak is to remove the fuel line from fuel pump that goes to the tank and drain all the gas out and then install a vavle on fuel line.

Fill up to the top of the tank with mixed gas, becareful not to spill any. 

Open vavle you installed by fuel pump to make sure lines are full of gas.

Place cardboard or newspaper under the tractor from front to back.

Have a beer or two and then go check and see if any blue dots are on the material you placed under the tractor 

Where the blue dots are is where the leak is and should determine if tank or lines

Drain fuel system again at vavle, remove vavle and put fuel line back on fuel pump

JIm

• Alc, backwoods and Phluphy have said thanks

#7 Phluphy OFFLINE  

Phluphy
  • 308 Thanks
  • 401 posts

Posted October 28, 2015 - 09:47 PM

Easy way to see and locate a possible leak is to remove the fuel line from fuel pump that goes to the tank and drain all the gas out and then install a vavle on fuel line.

Fill up to the top of the tank with mixed gas, becareful not to spill any. 

Open vavle you installed by fuel pump to make sure lines are full of gas.

Place cardboard or newspaper under the tractor from front to back.

Have a beer or two and then go check and see if any blue dots are on the material you placed under the tractor 

Where the blue dots are is where the leak is and should determine if tank or lines

Drain fuel system again at vavle, remove vavle and put fuel line back on fuel pump

JIm

Good theory, that much mixed gas-2.5 gal.- would run the chainsaw for months but thinking it won't hurt to just drain out a gallon and refill with straight gas. Of course it would smoke a tad but I run non-ethanol so it'll burn it up in a day.

Will give it a whirl. Surprised not to see some form of wet somewhere, albeit I can't see the entire line as it is.

Closer look today has me thinking just the fender/seat mount section needs to be removed.  The tank appears to be attached to that section and not anywhere near the rear axle as I had thought.

• James Bosma said thank you