Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Hello New GT6000 owner here need some Help.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 GT6000 OFFLINE  

GT6000

• Member No: 2768
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted April 17, 2011 - 10:39 AM

I bought the Garden Tractor last year it was working great. Now this year for some reason I cannot move the Hi-L0 gear at all. The engine starts great but it will not move at all. Any help would be great.

Model 917.255960 6-speed Manual trans

Thank you.

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 17, 2011 - 12:32 PM

I had that issue with my Hi/Low shifter on my 1988 Craftsman Gt18. The problem is the pin in the transaxle that engauges the Hi/Low gear. Mine was rusted some therefor it was stuck. The way you fix it is to take emery cloth (sandpaper) and sand as much of that pin as you can get to (you can get to it above the hitch plate on the right side of the tractor from the back). You may wish to pull the right rear tires/wheel for better access. If you cant get to any of it you will still want to spray penetrating oil on that pin where it goes into the transaxle. You may have to get a pry bar positioned in there so you can help to encourage that pin to pull out into whichever range that is where the pin is all the way out. Once you have done that you can sand it to clean it up. Then apply neverseize to that pin when you have it cleaned up enough to where it works with the hand lever. That should be your problem, if not, it might be more complicated.
  • daytime dave, MH81, caseguy and 1 other said thanks

#3 GT6000 OFFLINE  

GT6000

• 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted April 17, 2011 - 04:52 PM

wvbuzzmaster

Thank you very much for your reply. I will do exactly that and will update.

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted April 17, 2011 - 06:38 PM

If I may add a couple of things,
1: check the water level in your rear end. You may have quite a bit of water in the oil.

2: you may want to turn the input back and forth a little as you try to work that shaft.
If it's binding inside, you couln't tell thru the prybar.

Edited by MH81, April 18, 2011 - 08:40 PM.

• caseguy said thank you

#5 GT6000 OFFLINE  

GT6000

• 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted April 18, 2011 - 07:36 AM

Thank you for your replies, wvbuzzmaster you hit the nail right on the head. I did exactly what you said your right it works great!

Thank you very much.

Today I will power wash it, lube up the chassie and get ready for the cutting season.

#6 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 18, 2011 - 09:31 AM

Thank you for your replies, wvbuzzmaster you hit the nail right on the head. I did exactly what you said your right it works great!

Thank you very much.

No problem, just happy to help a fellow member get their machine up and going again.

#7 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,338 Thanks
  • 28,646 posts

Posted April 18, 2011 - 08:41 PM

Glad to hear you got it going! Stuff like that can drive you nuts if you let it. Enjoy the seat time!

#8 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted April 18, 2011 - 08:49 PM

That's part of what these forums are all about, helping others with what you've learned the hard way! Thanks Casey! I'm glad that you got the tractor going again GT6000!

#9 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 18, 2011 - 09:14 PM

That's part of what these forums are all about, helping others with what you've learned the hard way! Thanks Casey! I'm glad that you got the tractor going again GT6000!

I did learn it the hard way, bought the tractor stuck in low gear. I drove it from my truck to my shop and ran out of gas 10 feet from the door, low gear is low lol.

#10 GT6000 OFFLINE  

GT6000

• 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted April 19, 2011 - 11:46 AM

Another question, I want to clean all the grass off where the cut blades are located, Should I just turn over the tractor to its side? Clean it that way? Which side is the best to lay it down.

#11 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted April 19, 2011 - 11:52 AM

Another question, I want to clean all the grass off where the cut blades are located, Should I just turn over the tractor to its side? Clean it that way? Which side is the best to lay it down.

I would not turn the tractor over on its side to clean the deck. If you have a sprinkler system I would park the tractor over top one of the sprinkler heads for a while.

#12 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted April 19, 2011 - 03:18 PM

My Parents have that exact model of tractor and I don't recall it being that hard to drop the deck off. My Dad does it every fall. Do you have a manual for it? If not, Here is a link to the one that's in the manuals section. Hope this helps.