Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,454 Thanks
  • 6,623 posts

Posted October 28, 2015 - 05:39 AM

Wont a greenhouse be too hot most of the time in Georgia ?  Up here in Pa I put the plastic cover on the raised bed when the weather starts staying below freezing and remove it around April , mind you I can only keep the plants from freezing out ( most winters ) spinach & lettuce .  I would love to be able to garden all year like you will be doing , cant beat fresh foods :thumbs:

http://gardentractor...r-winter/page-1

• oldedeeres said thank you

#17 Firefighter912 OFFLINE  

Firefighter912
  • Member No: 72788
  • 12 Thanks
  • 123 posts

Posted October 28, 2015 - 07:46 PM

I dont know about pex tube..itll be a pain to bend it back straight from that roll
  • KennyP said thank you

#18 EricFromPa OFFLINE  

EricFromPa

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2135
  • 2,300 Thanks
  • 2,334 posts

Posted October 28, 2015 - 09:16 PM

Pex is pretty easy to bend but you have to heat it with a Torch to straighten it out.Once it cools down it will stay straight.It's not quite as Rigid as PVC but should hold up better in super hot to super cold conditions.

Edited by EricFromPa, October 28, 2015 - 09:25 PM.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#19 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 05:40 AM

Were are you located in Ga? How tall do yo need it to be?

#20 Firefighter912 OFFLINE  

Firefighter912
  • 12 Thanks
  • 123 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 07:54 AM

Im close to waycross ga in southeast Ga.

Our winters can be cold for us..sometimes to the teens. Once in a blue moon it might snow a tad if its really cold.

I just,like to produce stuff during winter.

Im around 6'4" so id like something a little tall.

#21 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 07:57 AM

I think PEX would flex too much. It holds its shape, but I don't think it would be rigid enough to keep the "hoops" in proper shape.

If you get the shape you want, make a large jig that will hold the PVC in place. Get a big old pan, fill it will sand and heat it up. Tape one end of PVC tube, fill with hot sand, then bend in jig to shape. once cool, pour out sand and PVC will keep that shape. The PVC can get brittle, but it will be under less stress if bent into shape with heat then cool versus just bending it and making it stay in the shape by force.

• Alc, BTS and oldedeeres have said thanks

#22 Firefighter912 OFFLINE  

Firefighter912
  • 12 Thanks
  • 123 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 08:44 AM

Never heard of that before. If only i had an old pan and working stove out there.

#23 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 11:22 AM

Never heard of that before. If only i had an old pan and working stove out there.

got a propane torch?

hot sand inside will make PVC like silly putty after a few mins. Then once it cools, it will stay in water form you mold it into.

#24 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 05:50 PM

Im close to waycross ga in southeast Ga.

Our winters can be cold for us..sometimes to the teens. Once in a blue moon it might snow a tad if its really cold.

I just,like to produce stuff during winter.

Im around 6'4" so id like something a little tall.

I lived pretty much all around that area. We use bent conduit for some of our hoop houses down that way. You could put post in ground then attach the hoops to them. I think ours are about 7 ft tall and about 14-16 ft wide. Spacing is 4ft. From what I have saw should be fairly easy to build a jig and bend two halfs and put them together

#25 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,735 Thanks
  • 1,729 posts

Posted October 29, 2015 - 11:01 PM

I think PEX would flex too much. It holds its shape, but I don't think it would be rigid enough to keep the "hoops" in proper shape.

If you get the shape you want, make a large jig that will hold the PVC in place. Get a big old pan, fill it will sand and heat it up. Tape one end of PVC tube, fill with hot sand, then bend in jig to shape. once cool, pour out sand and PVC will keep that shape. The PVC can get brittle, but it will be under less stress if bent into shape with heat then cool versus just bending it and making it stay in the shape by force.

We don't heat to bend our PVC, we just bend it cold, after it is bent in a "hoop" for a week or so, you can take it down and it keeps it's shape. I have some PVC hoops laying out back right now, they've been there for a year now and the are still in a "U" shape.

We had some PVC hoops come unhooked during the wind in our greenhouse (the one pictured on the first page), the pipe moved less then a foot away from where it needed to be, I just hooked them back on and it's still holding great.

The biggest thing is to use small rope and pull it tight between each hoop, this will hold your plastic tight and it will not flap in the wind. We also hook our greenhouse plastic on by nailing the plastic between 2 boards and then pulling the plastic back up and sandwiching it between another board so it holds tight. if it's just between 2 boards then it will pull through (I know from experience)

Edited by BTS, October 29, 2015 - 11:13 PM.

• Alc, oldedeeres and TAHOE have said thanks

#26 bill edler OFFLINE  

bill edler
  • Member No: 78399
  • 20 Thanks
  • 31 posts

Posted January 17, 2016 - 03:36 PM

I tried to make a pvc chicken coop the pvc when bent and stressed the glued joints came apart good luck I gave up

#27 dlang94 OFFLINE  

dlang94
  • Member No: 63471
  • 227 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted January 18, 2016 - 09:27 AM

Did you ever end up starting your hoop-house? I got my covering from greenhouse megastore and got mine covered. I went with the 3mil, it seems thick enough for what I need. Just needs the doors now.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1453127069.247875.jpg
Cant wait to use it this spring.