#61 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,172 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted November 07, 2015 - 06:53 PM

The TRA12D is a different coil.  The S series are the only one interchangeable, S10D, S12D, & S14D.  Thanks much for the offer.

I stand corrected.  The coil off a TRA12D will work if the TRA12D had electronic Ignition.  Please advise what you come up with.  Thanks much.

Sorry I did not remember to look today - my apologies.  Have made myself a note to have a look tomorrow morning.

• chieffan said thank you

#62 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted November 07, 2015 - 08:01 PM

No problem.  going t6o see what6 O'Reilly's  has tomorrow.  Will keep you posted.

(I glued the t & 6 keys together when I super glued the granddaughters plastic necklace.) 

Edited by chieffan, November 08, 2015 - 07:39 AM.

#63 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,172 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted November 08, 2015 - 09:44 AM

Looked for the coil this morning and apparently I have hidden it safely away where even I cannot find it - will keep looking and if I find it will let you know.

#64 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted November 12, 2015 - 04:11 PM

I have developed a very, very strong dislike for Wisconsin engines with that stupid electronic ignition.  Got the new coil today and still no spark.  Everything has been replaced except the flywheel.  It had good strong magnets when I checked it.  Would really grab hold of a screwdriver.  Re-checked all the connections to make sure they were tight and going to the right place.  So what is wrong with this piece of crap?  I have a 16hp Tech with a bad coil.  Ready to jerk the Wiscrapson out and put the Tech in.  Should not be to hard to find a coil for it.  I have never fought an engine firing problem near as much as this thing.  And it definitely will be the last Wisconsin with electronic ignition I will ever consider owning.

Anybody need a complete new electronic ignition system, stator, module and coil from an S14D that has never fired a lick?  $175 gets it all delivered to your door.

Forgot to mention that this "new OEM" coils test 0.2 ohm on the primary and open on the secondary.  So did I get a NOS bad coil?

Edited by chieffan, November 12, 2015 - 04:41 PM.

#65 Chubien OFFLINE  

Chubien
  • Member No: 61561
  • 605 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted November 12, 2015 - 04:27 PM

Lol, I give you A+ for persistence on this matter.

Don't stop now, I'm sure you're minutes away from that spark.

I too have discovered lately that making these tractors run and look pretty is not a poor mans hobby!

#66 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted November 12, 2015 - 04:50 PM

Lol, I give you A+ for persistence on this matter.

Don't stop now, I'm sure you're minutes away from that spark.

I too have discovered lately that making these tractors run and look pretty is not a poor mans hobby!

Thanks for the vote of confidence.   I have been " minutes" away from spark for well over a month now.   Looking pretty, I could care less.  Just look good is good enough for me but they have to run first.  It is not the money so much as it is the frustration on the testing of this system.  Even Wisconsin has wrong information in their manuals, or no information at all.  

#67 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted November 19, 2015 - 06:39 PM

I have to think there's a loose connection or something grounding out somwhere?

Went back and read the thread and seen you were getting spark for a while then next day nothing?

With basically everything replaced now its got to be some stupid thing we're still overlooking 

#68 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted November 20, 2015 - 09:14 AM

That is basically why I am going back and taking everything off and starting over.  Photos of how I put it all back together again as well as when it come apart.  Has to be under the flywheel, or a bad NOS module.  Stator and module can only plug together one way.  2 wires to hook up, red to + side of the coil and yellow to the kill switch.  Have removed the yellow from the switch to make sure the switch wasn't grounding the module out.   The battery ground is attached to the star/gen bracket like the diagram shows.  Can't see where using the shroud and other tin covers could not be grounding back through the block as there are so many anchor points.  Coil ground is under the screw head that goes into the head along with the shroud and top cover.

I know that the majority of electrical problems can be traced back to bad or no ground.  Going to cover that area first before I tear it all apart again.  May even run another ground wire just to be sure.  With a tractor that has sat outside as long as this one probably had it is hard to tell what all could be wrong.

#69 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,701 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted November 20, 2015 - 09:32 AM

Just for the heck of it before you take anything off, try a different sparkplug wire, had one that must have broken down internally and would sometimes show good and sometimes it wouldnt, once I replaced it the spark was great.

#70 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted November 20, 2015 - 10:11 AM

Going to do that first.  Then run a heavy wire from the coil ground to the same point the battery ground is.

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#71 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted November 28, 2015 - 03:38 PM

Started mixing and matching all 3 components, stators, modules and coils and connected them in ever combination I could think of.  NO SPARK.  Checked both stator which both would show between 15 and 20 V AC at cranking speed.  The black and blue both show continuity to ground.  Od course the black is the ground connection of the stator.  Coils both check in the good range in both primary and secondary.

That leaves the modules.  Could the both be bad? No way to test them that I know or heard of.  Only way would be to put them on a running engine and see what happens.  But I don't have another engine with this ignition system on to do that.

#72 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,166 Thanks
  • 4,510 posts

Posted November 29, 2015 - 08:42 PM

Enough is enough.  That S14D with it's piece of crap SS ignition is in pieces on the floor.  It will never give anyone else fits in trying to produce a spark.  It will occupy space in the scrap pile until the price goes back up, then it will make the trip with the rest of the stuff.   Will be looking to put a Briggs in its place but darn sure will not be a Wisconsin with SS ignition.  I have had my fill of them to last 3 life times. 

Edited by chieffan, November 29, 2015 - 08:42 PM.