71 replies to this topic

#46 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62695
  • 6,138 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted November 06, 2015 - 06:49 PM

Has to be one with the electronic ignition module on the side of the front shroud.  It does not have the charging part to it, just the ignition and switch part.

#47 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,138 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted November 06, 2015 - 07:01 PM

found out this morning I do have spark.  Spent a couple hours bagging leaves and hauling them to the barn for goat bedding.  2 bags on the bagger hold about 15 gal. each.  Made 6 trips. 
Then went back to the tractor.  I do have spark but the coil does not check out the way the engine manual says it is supposed to so a little afraid to start it just yet.  Someone posted on here that they tried another coil and burnt up the ignition module.  I need someone to test their coil on the same system and make sure that mine is good.  Manual says between the output and ground should read between 4 and 6K ohms resistance.  Mine shows an open, no resistance.  The manual could be wrong for this particular ignition system but don't want to take a chance.  If someone with the Electronic Ignition on an TRA12D, S12D or S14D would want to check theirs and let me know what they get I would greatly appreciate it.  Have to check it with no wires attached to the coil, so the engine manual says.  This is on page 69 of the Wisconsin engine manual for the S10D S12D and S14D engines.

#48 29 Chev OFFLINE  

29 Chev
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 63590
  • 3,099 Thanks
  • 1,195 posts

Posted November 06, 2015 - 07:25 PM

" Mine shows an open, no resistance "

You state that yours show an open and no resistance - did you mean to say it has infinite resistance or does the meter read 0 ohms which would be no resistance? Just asking as I may have a coil off of a TRA12D - will have to check tomorrow.

• chieffan said thank you

#49 ClassicBolens OFFLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Member No: 48806
  • 946 Thanks
  • 375 posts

Posted November 06, 2015 - 08:57 PM

To check the secondary resistance, with one lead connected to the coil output and one lead connected to the - side of the coil you should get a reading between 4k - 6k ohms. If you're checking it with one lead to the coil casing or to ground, you'll get an open reading. 

The coils primary resistance can be checked by connecting one lead to + and the other to - of the coil. This should be between 0.6 and 1.5 ohms if memory serves me correctly for the S14D with the Solid State Ignition.

I think what was posted earlier by Bolens1000 was that his coil overheated and smoked. I don't believe it hurt the stator or module.. 

• Bruce Dorsi and chieffan have said thanks

#50 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,138 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted November 06, 2015 - 09:17 PM

Your is reading the same as mine so I am going to go with it and try to get it running tomorrow.  I just re-checked the manual and that must be a misprint then.  It definitely states "The secondary winding, measured from the coil output to the coil case or ground will indicate between 4000 and 6000 ohms"

You state that yours show an open and no resistance - did you mean to say it has infinite resistance or does the meter read 0 ohms which would be no resistance? Just asking as I may have a coil off of a TRA12D - will have to check tomorrow.

Mine shows an open, like a blown fuse.  No resistance would be the same as holding the two probes together if I remember correctly.

#51 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,138 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted November 06, 2015 - 09:21 PM

Thanks a bunch for all the help guys !  I really appreciate your help.  With a little luck and God willing will have that thing running in the morning.  YEA-A-A-A-A-A-!

Edited by chieffan, November 06, 2015 - 09:22 PM.

#52 ClassicBolens OFFLINE  

ClassicBolens
  • Member No: 48806
  • 946 Thanks
  • 375 posts

Posted November 06, 2015 - 09:30 PM

"The secondary winding, measured from the coil output to the coil case or ground will indicate between 4000 and 6000 ohms"

Yeah, I just re-read that in the Wisconsin manual myself. It is most definitely worded wrong! 

• Bolens 1000 and Bruce Dorsi have said thanks

#53 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,166 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted November 07, 2015 - 09:26 AM

"The secondary winding, measured from the coil output to the coil case or ground will indicate between 4000 and 6000 ohms"

Yeah, I just re-read that in the Wisconsin manual myself. It is most definitely worded wrong! 

That's what threw me!  ......I had never heard of a coil having the secondary windings grounded through the coil's case, but I thought I was learning something new. :wallbanging:

• Bolens 1000 said thank you

#54 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,138 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted November 07, 2015 - 10:08 AM

We are back to score one.  Tried it this morning and nothing, not even with starting fluid sprayed into the carb.  Spark checker between the coil wire and spark plug.  No spark.  :wallbanging:   Tried another coil wire.  No spark.  Removed the wire from the - and + side of the coil and the plug wire.  Test light on the + side of the coil and ground.  Test light blinked dimly but it did blink.  Hooked the meter up between the output and the - post of the coil.  Set on K ohm.  0.L which on this meter is an open circuit.  Same reading between the + post and the output.  Between the + and - on the coil I get 0.00 in all ranger settings.   

Bottom line  - Bad coil ? ?

#55 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,166 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted November 07, 2015 - 10:30 AM

Test light on the + side of the coil and ground.  Test light blinked dimly but it did blink. 

Is your test light a continuity tester, or is it a voltage tester?

#56 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,138 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted November 07, 2015 - 10:42 AM

Will test voltage present from 6 to 28 volts.  The higher the voltage the brighter the light the way I understand it.  Green with the probe on the + side.  Red with the probe on the - side.  This kind of electronic ignition is all new to me.  Just kind of wading my way through it.  Completely different from the Battery and magneto ignition.

#57 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,138 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted November 07, 2015 - 11:05 AM

The TRA12D is a different coil.  The S series are the only one interchangeable, S10D, S12D, & S14D.  Thanks much for the offer.

I stand corrected.  The coil off a TRA12D will work if the TRA12D had electronic Ignition.  Please advise what you come up with.  Thanks much.

Edited by chieffan, November 07, 2015 - 01:54 PM.

#58 chieffan ONLINE  

chieffan
  • Contributor
  • 6,138 Thanks
  • 4,490 posts

Posted November 07, 2015 - 11:10 AM

What is the difference between 0 resistance and infinite resistance?  I always thought they were one and the same.

Edited by chieffan, November 07, 2015 - 01:55 PM.

#59 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,166 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted November 07, 2015 - 06:24 PM

Will test voltage present from 6 to 28 volts.  The higher the voltage the brighter the light the way I understand it.  Green with the probe on the + side.  Red with the probe on the - side.  This kind of electronic ignition is all new to me.  Just kind of wading my way through it.  Completely different from the Battery and magneto ignition.

Once again, you are confusing me! 

With your solid-state ignition, there should be no battery voltage anywhere in the ignition circuit.  .....That is why I could not understand that you were getting a test light to light.

The battery is only used for starting, and does NOT power the ignition coil.

#60 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,166 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted November 07, 2015 - 06:31 PM

What is the difference between 0 resistance and infinite resistance?  I always thought they were one and the same.

0 resistance means you have a good (actually a GREAT) connection, with no resistance to electron flow.  .....Example: A short continuous piece of wire with the test leads connected to each end.    +____________-   = 0 resistance

Infinite resistance means that the resistance is so high, that it can not be measured.  .....Example:  A wire that is not continuous, such as a broken wire where the ends don't make a connection.    +_______      _______-  = Infinity reading

• blackjackjakexxix and 29 Chev have said thanks